Moving on...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 27th, 2010, 10:29 am

Dusterian you're kind of a crazy person

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 27th, 2010, 11:15 am

I agree with George as to the art issue. It's the thought process behind the addition that I think is worthy of discussion. Who decided that almost 20 years after it was released that they needed to go in and add something to the film? Without a bit of uproar from fans this could become common place and they might get bolder. I don't know about you guys but I'm not wanting the Lucasification of Disney classics!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 27th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Well, in B&TB's case, that argument is sooooooooo 2002! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Post by droosan » October 27th, 2010, 3:28 pm

I have a friend who'd started his film career in the Disney camera department, back in the early 1980's. At the time, he was photographing composites for Tron .. but, one night, a stack of cels for The Rescuers was brought in.

Knowing that Feature Animation was actually in-production on The Fox and the Hound at that time, he asked one of his supervisors, "Wasn't this movie in theaters a few years ago..? Why are we shooting new stuff for it now?" His supervisor just shrugged and replied, "Someone must've found something they wanted to improve. It happens."

So, the Disney studio was 'tinkering' with films after the fact, even 30 years ago. It's just that now -- thanks to home video -- people will actually notice it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 27th, 2010, 4:00 pm

I'm assuming the "something" may have been http://snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.asp ? :wink:

(Not too many are fortunate to be living-history witnesses to Famous Obnoxious Disney Urban-Legends...)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 9th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Just wanna say that Sony has FINALLY released the system update for the PS3. I've only run though the Beyond Beauty doc at the moment, but the problems that were present previously are now gone.

THANK GOD!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » May 10th, 2011, 10:43 pm

I just watched this movie on DVD from my Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.

I can't really recall, but did they add a new part to it? The part includes a song called "Human Again". I don't remember that being on my VHS?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 11th, 2011, 12:59 am

Aaron_03 wrote:I just watched this movie on DVD from my Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.
I can't really recall, but did they add a new part to it? The part includes a song called "Human Again". I don't remember that being on my VHS?
Yep, that was added to the IMAX re-release (as re-releases have to come Bearing Gifts)--As it was "supposed" to be in the original, and then became a hit in the stage show, etc., etc.
Was added on to the video version during the first Platinum DVD release, and now appears to be permanent.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 11th, 2011, 9:34 am

You should be able to select a "theatrical version", Aaron, that plays the movie without the new song.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 25th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Yet another Blu-ray coming in the fall, this time as part of the Walt Disney "Signature Collection" (because, you know, Walt made this movie, right?).

http://animatedviews.com/2016/beauty-th ... this-year/

Maybe they'll actually give us the original theatrical version this time?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 25th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Nope, it's all the same transfers, with only a Singalong version new to the mix (redundant anyway) and the WIP version now a digital exclusive. Lucky us old timers have the LaserDiscs...the only true video versions of the WIP and original theatrical cuts in their original ratio.

A stretch to call this a Disney Signature title, although they did say it was films produced or inspired by Walt (nice get-out clause!) and they do have a Walt-connected featurette on this release. I was hoping the Signature series would be a chronological run of Walt films from Snow White to Jungle Book, with the Package Features finally coming along within this, but all it is is a tenuous repeat of the Classic, Masterpiece, Platinum and Diamond lines.

Looks like the classic supplements are relegated to the digital releases, though there's some new stuff on the Blu-ray too: here are the specs...feel free to add to your trailer post, Dacey! :)
Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Disney’s Beloved Animated Classic
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
Relive the magic and the music with four versions of the film plus all-new bonus features!

With the Release of the Walt Disney Signature Collection Edition on Digital HD Sept. 6 and Blu-ray Sept. 20

BURBANK, Calif., June 24, 2016 — Twenty-five years ago, Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” broke ground as the first animated feature film to receive an Academy Award nomination for best picture, and now this tale as old as time joins the Walt Disney Signature Collection on Sept. 6 on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere, and on Sept. 20 on Blu-ray and DVD.

The beloved animated classic has truly stood the test of time and now a whole new generation of viewers are invited to be our guest and fall in love with this enchanting tale, its captivating characters and unforgettable, award-winning music score and original song, “Beauty and the Beast.”

The Walt Disney Signature Collection edition features four versions of “Beauty and the Beast.” The Blu-ray release will include the original theatrical film; an extended version with the “Human Again” song sequence and a never-before-released on home entertainment sing-along version. The original work-in-progress version will be available digitally and on Disney Movies Anywhere.

There is also a host of all-new bonus extras including a rare opportunity to gather around the piano with some of Disney’s greatest composers, including Alan Menken (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Aladdin”), Stephen Schwartz (“The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” “Pocahontas”), Kristen Anderson-Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”), Robert Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (Disney’s upcoming “Moana”) as they sing and share how they’ve personally been inspired by the film’s award-winning music; a look at how Walt Disney himself sought to adapt this famous fairytale; a nostalgic look back with Paige O’Hara, the voice of Belle; behind-the-scenes access into the recording booth with the cast; and a sneak peek at Disney’s upcoming live-action re-telling of “Beauty and the Beast,” arriving in theaters in 2017.

Film Versions:

BLU-RAY, DIGITAL HD & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
Original theatrical version
New advanced sing-along version
Extended version with “Human Again” song sequence

DIGITAL HD & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
Work-in-progress version

Bonus Features:

BLU-RAY, DIGITAL HD & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
Menken & Friends: 25 Years of Musical Inspiration – Get a front-row seat for an intimate discussion between legendary music composers from classic and future Disney films, including Alan Menken (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Aladdin”), Stephen Schwartz (“The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” “Pocahontas”), Kristen Anderson-Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”), Robert Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (Disney’s upcoming “Moana”). Discover how the composers are personally connected, how they first experienced “Beauty and the Beast” and how they find inspiration for their own films. And watch as they pay tribute to the film’s award-winning music score and the man who has inspired them all—Alan Menken.

#1074: Walt, Fairy Tales & Beauty and the Beast – Long before “Beauty and the Beast” became the instant classic we know and love, Walt Disney made two attempts—between the 1930s and 1950s—to adapt the famous fairy tale into an animated film. Discover what Walt and his team was dreaming up through Walt’s actual voice recordings, archived artwork, story notes, and learn why the project was sidelined for decades.

Always Belle – The original voice of Belle, Paige O’Hara, reminisces about earning the role of the beautiful bookworm in “Beauty and the Beast” and recalls how the iconic character changed her life and continues to inspire fans both young and old.

The Recording Sessions – Go in the recording booth with the cast of Beauty and the Beast and see what went into adding voices to the characters and the lines we know and love.

25 Fun Facts About Beauty and the Beast – Disney Channel’s Gus Kamp and Kayla Maisonet host this entertaining countdown featuring little-known fun facts, anecdotes and hidden Easter Eggs (references to Disney animated films and characters) from one of the most cherished animated films of all time.

“Beauty and The Beast” Sneak Peek – An exciting first look into the live-action re-telling of “Beauty and the Beast,” which refashions the classic characters from the tale as old as time for a contemporary audience, staying true to the original music while updating the score with several new songs.

DIGITAL HD & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include over five hours of bonus material, such as an alternate version of “Be Our Guest” and the “Beauty and the Beast” music video performed by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, and deleted scenes.

Bonus features may vary by retailer

Walt Disney Pictures’ magical animated classic “Beauty and the Beast” captures the magical journey of Belle (voice of Paige O’Hara), an independent and intelligent, modern-day heroine who’s taken prisoner by a hideous beast (voice of Robby Benson) in his castle. Despite her precarious situation, Belle befriends the castle’s enchanted staff—a teapot, a candelabra and a mantel clock, among others—and ultimately learns to see beneath the Beast’s exterior to discover the heart and soul of a prince.

“Beauty and the Beast” was nominated for six Academy Awards® and was the first animated feature to receive an Academy Award® nomination for best picture. It won two Oscars®, including best song, by the renowned Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, and best original score (Menken), as well as a Golden Globe Award® for best comedy/musical.

“Beauty and the Beast” was Disney’s first animated film adapted into a Broadway musical, which ran for 5,464 performances from 1994-2007 and has delighted more than 35 million people worldwide. On March 17, 2017, audiences will experience the thrilling retelling of the original tale through Disney’s live-action film, “Beauty and the Beast,” in which Emma Watson (“Harry Potter” films) plays Belle and eight-time Oscar® winner Alan Menken returns to recreate his Academy Award®-winning music score.

DISC SPECIFICATIONS:
Feature Run Time: Approximately 85 minutes
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada
Bonus material not rated
Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray Feature Film = 1080p High Definition / 1.78:1
DVD Feature Film = 1.78:1
Audio: Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks. DVD = English, Spanish, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
Subtitles: English SDH, French & Spanish

SOCIAL MEDIA:
Facebook: Facebook.com/DisneyBeautyAndTheBeast

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 25th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Is it too much to hope that they will release the full soundtrack (like the Legacy series) in celebration?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 25th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Probably. I'd love the Legacy series to continue, but sales were spotty and, in my mind at least, the line dwindled after such a strong start, with less complete titles that those in the first half of the collection, once they started playing with the release order and distributors.

If it does carry on, I can't see them doing more until next year, since they will need production time on them. Even if that was underway already or were to start soon, it would still be months before they were made available. Here's hoping that 2017 brings us a new batch (and that they are more comprehensive sets).

The anniversaries were never marked on the covers anyway, so they could always just bring out titles as and when they were ready. In the meantime, I'd love to see a nice CD set of the Solly Symphonies vinyl box that came out earlier this year! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 22nd, 2016, 12:55 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."