Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2010, 10:32 am

"Probably"?

They've already pretty much been nothing less than confirmed. And that's exactly why B&TB is back on for making its Blu debut this fall, so that they sell a load of units, then put the film out in 3D, making more money for the 20th Anniversary, and then make even more money by putting out the 3D BD.

I have B&TB on VHS, twice on LD (authentic Work In Progress and original Theatrical), and on DVD. I'll go for the Blu and see how 3D pans out, but it looks like it'll be another movie I own multiple times on different formats! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Aaron_03 » May 19th, 2010, 11:00 pm

I'll probably be one of those suckers who buys, the original BD release, 3D release and the 20th anniversary release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by EricJ » May 20th, 2010, 3:37 am

Ah, how liberating, to be one of the people who couldn't stand the original movie, and are therefore free from such worries... :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Beauty & the Beast Blu ray released on 10/5/2010

Post by Bill1978 » May 20th, 2010, 3:57 am

I feel the same away about The Lion King and the original Shrek. However I'm one of those sap who fell under the PR of the Disney promotion and proudly decalre my love for this movie as the best movie ever IMO and nobody can tell me otherwise

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 20th, 2010, 1:37 pm

I remember less than a year--six months, tops--being Galileo-persecuted as to why I found B&B more insulting than "magical"...
But that was before the benefit of history: Would knowing that Linda Woolverton went on to write "Tim Burton's Alice in Nothing Even Faintly Resembling Wonderland" help illustrate a few of my complaints about the low-slapstick "Beauty and the Bipedal Hybrid Jerk Who Doesn't Even Deserve To Be Compared to the Original Fairytale Beast"? :)

(And to answer the next post, oh, and "Up" caught an Oscar nomination in a lucky symbolic year too, when there was space and they were trying to prove something; that makes it better than TS2?) :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » May 23rd, 2010, 11:12 am

It was an okay movie...may buy it just to have it just incase one of these days i have little ones myself.

American_dog_2008

Re: Beauty & the Beast Blu ray released on 10/5/2010

Post by American_dog_2008 » May 23rd, 2010, 5:26 pm

I can't wait for the september release in my country.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Post by Bill1978 » August 5th, 2010, 10:01 pm

After reading the news about delaying the 3D release of this movie, it's nice to see some company actually sitting back and looking at a) the demand for it on the homefront and b) the cost to their consumers just to own the format.

Just as long as the delay doesn't also delay the art of book that I pre-ordered earlier this week from Amazon and which has caused me to go a little bit nuts purchasing all the past ones. They had all better be worth my spending spree.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2010, 6:46 am

Kind of...but I can't help but thinking that it only shows this release was about making more money instead of doing anything legitimately artistic with it. And on the other hand, I really don't think home 3D is going to pick up well enough for them to still make a decent buck on it after a theatrical run.

They'd actually be better off getting this into the theaters NOW, since not only would a 2011 release make a big play about it being the 20th Anniversary, blah, blah, blah, but the 3D fad is still in effect. Out at dinner last night with a bunch of friends and family, not one of them (without any prompting from me!) was truly impressed with having to wear the specs. Two said they felt dizzy after seeing 3D presentations, and other said they didn't like having to wear them or being "separated off from other audience members".

One also said that there wasn't a choice anymore, since most films are now 3D and most screens are now digital, so they don't show the flat version. I'm hearing this more and more, and I think Disney would be better to get this out with a handy anniversary timing, rather than holding off when - just like the Imax run - nobody went to see it. And with the BD still coming out this year? Who's going to see a film they just bought at the more expensive theater? Avatar's reissue in a few weeks will be an interesting one to watch...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » August 6th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Disney's started seeing articles about "The public is growing tired of conversions!" (like the hundred or so that suddenly appeared the Monday after "Cats & Dogs 2" opened...), so it's likely they may have gotten headline-jitters and turned to how their IMAX-rerelease idea didn't go over either.

Seems like they realized they could make twice as much pushing Blu-3D, since they believed they were the ones who sold Blu-ray to the public in the first place, and they were getting all set to do the same thing with the TS3, Alice and Christmas Carol 3D disks in November.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2010, 8:33 pm

I believe those 3D disCs will still be coming, though. I don't know who's gonna buy 'em!

The tricksy thing is, they're offering Carol in as a four-disc combo bundle (1 BD, 1 DVD, 1 DigiCopy + 1 3D), so they'll point that the 3D bundle outsold all others, even though most will be buying for the BD and DVD combination aspects.

The only other choice for Carol on BD is the single-disc edition, forgoing those that want the movie on DVD as well. Alternately, they're NOT offering a 3D-only edition, which presumably is because they know, really, that it would sell about the same number of about five copies that Sony's Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs has shifted this month.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Wonderful musical story Beauty and the Beast

Post by marryholmes » August 10th, 2010, 2:43 am

The great musical tale none other than Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Junior will come alive on stage at the Fairfield Community Arts Center on Aug. 13-14. It will be so fun when the Kids in the Spotlight Musical Theatre Camp will present the musical fairy tale on stage. Kids are so excited to see the lovely musical Beauty and the Beast live on stage. Performances are set for 7 p.m., Friday, and 2 p.m., Saturday, at the arts center, 411 Wessel Dr. The hour-long show features 30 great performers. It tells the story of Belle and her suitor Gaston and how they learn to love one another although their different backgrounds. Disney has removed “Beauty and the Beast 3D” from his upcoming lineup and delayed the release of the 3D version of the classic movie indefinitely. The rumor has that the movie will not be released until 3D movies are a bigger draw at the theater, that is smart because there is a option Disney could throw a ton of money into making the movie in 3D, then nobody will go and see it in theaters since it is being released to DVD in October anyhow. While, lot of people would definitely go and see this classic Disney movie in theaters in any format therefore they have pretty bummed that it won’t be happening.

Take one bright, brunette beauty and one brooding, muscular beast and combine them with unenlightened villagers, delighted stuff and a magical spell, you have a story told through songs about unrequited love, unpredicted love and the expected Disney happy ending. The Towne Players Teens and Kids will present Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast Jr.” Thursday, Aug. 5 through Saturday, Aug. 7 at 8 p.m. nightly and at 2 p.m. Aug. 7 at the Garner Historic Auditorium. Disney's fairytale "Beauty and the Beast" will come to life on stage, on the month of Aug. 10-15 at the Starlight Theater, this time the show will feature some local and wonderful touches. The story of "Beauty and the Beast" began when a spoiled and egotistic prince turned down shelter to an old beggar woman. His actions resulted in him being transformed into a beast, whereas other castle residents were transformed into enchanted objects.

The wonderful musical story Beauty and the Beast is a tale as old as time despite looks, station or first impressions, true love conquers all when “Beauty and the Beast” takes the stage at Old Town Temecula Community Theater. Presented by Inland Valley Classical Ballet Theater and Svetlana’s Dance Academy, the ballet show promises “the most beautiful love story ever danced.” Two performances are scheduled at 7 p.m. on Aug. 13 and at 2 p.m. on Aug. 14 at the Old Town Temecula Community Theater at 42051 Main St. in Temecula. The coming season, the Wisconsin Center District has another Disney's blockbuster in its lineup of Broadway shows at the Milwaukee Theatre Disney's "Beauty and the Beast," the larger-than-life family friendly musical rolls into town as a part of the theater's 2010-11 season, April 15-17, 2011. If you want to see the wonderful story beauty and the beast so you can buy the cheap beauty and the beast tickets and enjoy the wonderful story and great moral in it. This classic will astonish audiences young and old with its magical story and very talented and brilliant group numbers. Beauty and the Beast is a timeless story which has been told many times and in many ways, but kids are most familiar, of course, with the Disney version. This fall, Disney will re-release their much-admired edition of Beauty and the Beast on Blu-ray in a Diamond Edition.

Moderator's Edit: Signature removed for violating Animated Views Forum's spam links protocol. Advertising links were added to this message after the note made below. They have been removed and, if they reappear or you post any further spam-related posts, you will be removed from the boards entirely. Thanks.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2010, 6:44 am

Marryholmes...I have merged your post into our ongoing B&TB topic since it primarily deals with what we have been talking about (and also, as a blatant close-to-spam post it didn't warrant its own discussion). Please - if you hang around here that is - search for topics before starting new ones. I've left your link in on this occasion, since it is directly about what we love here, even if it is clearly on the advertorial side!

One thing, though: "Disney has removed “Beauty and the Beast 3D” from his upcoming lineup..." - you know Uncle Walt's been gone since 1966, right?

As for 3D becoming a bigger draw at the theaters, I'm not sure about that. The backlash has already begun and, as I said above, Disney is probably better off putting it out quickly, before the interest wanes as it did with their Imax restorations. But the repeated point about it coming to BD this fall is a more obvious pointer to the fact the Disney home video release schedule is all screwed up: what's happened to Dumbo and Fantasia, both promised for this past spring (Dumbo already being made available in Europe)?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » August 12th, 2010, 12:19 am

Ben wrote:The only other choice for Carol on BD is the single-disc edition, forgoing those that want the movie on DVD as well. Alternately, they're NOT offering a 3D-only edition, which presumably is because they know, really, that it would sell about the same number of about five copies that Sony's Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs has shifted this month.
But it's still the same long-range "Gather ye acorns..." strategy as their first DVD+Blu releases (that everyone forgot why):
Those who put down the cash for the all-inclusive version will at least HAVE the discs available as an option for whatever time in the near future that Blu3D becomes saturated enough to be affordable...Better to have than to have not.
(And just saw Samsung's 3D on display at the store last week, and dang, it's good. :mrgreen: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 12th, 2010, 12:35 am

Yeah, but the thing about 3D television is that, aside from the prohibitavely high cost, I've heard reports that you're not supposed to watch for more than half an hour at a time because you could get migraines! I really don't think the technology is ready yet and they're trying to sell it at least eight or nine years too early. Nintendo's 3DS (which supposedly gives you 3D without needing glasses) will be an interesting test. If it works, it may give the TV makers an idea of what to develop. If it doesn't, then it'll just prove my point.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83