Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Rango

Post by Wolf » June 9th, 2010, 2:36 pm

Director:
Gore Verbinski

Cast:
Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Abigail Breslin, Bill Nighy, Stephen Root, Ray Winstone, Beth Grant, Ned Beatty, Harry Dean Stanton, Alfred Molina

Synopsis:
The story of a chameleon with an identity crisis.

Trailer (not sure if I can even call it a trailer):
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/rango/

Official site:
http://www.rangomovie.com/

What the heck is this? **scratch head**

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » June 10th, 2010, 7:51 pm

Huh, interesting. I haven't heard anything about it. It will be exciting to find out more. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » June 12th, 2010, 6:38 pm

is that Newt could've been? I know the story's a bit different.. but still.. hmm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 12th, 2010, 8:28 pm

Wolf wrote: Trailer (not sure if I can even call it a trailer):
Congratulations, "Despicable Me", you no longer have the most self-defeatingly inscrutable non-promotional trailer of this summer. :roll:
We didn't think it was possible.

(And don't think there's anything particularly deep to Depp being cast--
Gore Verbinski's just joining George Miller, Zach Snyder and Bob Zemeckis in the ranks of Bored Live-Action Directors Who Think It's Easy to Make a CGI Feature Just Because They've Used It Once or Twice....And got Depp on the project because they'd been pirate buddies on past projects.
And, like Miller and Snyder, immediately assumed the road to CGI greatness was...animals with neurotic existentialist problems! :D )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 12th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Boy, that trailer had WAY too many spoilers in it!

;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Locall » June 13th, 2010, 4:28 pm

Dacey wrote:Boy, that trailer had WAY too many spoilers in it!

;)
It totally spoiled my apetite for it :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Macaluso » June 13th, 2010, 7:01 pm

EricJ wrote:
Wolf wrote: Trailer (not sure if I can even call it a trailer):
Congratulations, "Despicable Me", you no longer have the most self-defeatingly inscrutable non-promotional trailer of this summer. :roll:
We didn't think it was possible.

(And don't think there's anything particularly deep to Depp being cast--
Gore Verbinski's just joining George Miller, Zach Snyder and Bob Zemeckis in the ranks of Bored Live-Action Directors Who Think It's Easy to Make a CGI Feature Just Because They've Used It Once or Twice....And got Depp on the project because they'd been pirate buddies on past projects.
And, like Miller and Snyder, immediately assumed the road to CGI greatness was...animals with neurotic existentialist problems! :D )
You seem to really hate a movie that all we have to go on is a teaser (that shows nothing), and not much other info other than the brief synopsis.

I do agree though, that the teaser sucks because it doesn't show... anything. Would have to at least seen the main character in there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 14th, 2010, 3:48 am

As far as squinting at the poster art seems to reveal, apparently the lizard in question considers himself a Western outlaw, which would seem to explain the title.

...Um, okay. No improvement, but arguably clearer than windup fish.
Macaluso wrote:I do agree though, that the teaser sucks because it doesn't show... anything.
No, it shows the website link! With no explanation! And we're all supposed to rush there and build viral hype because the marketing's so MYSTERIOUS! :shock:

(Uh, how about that other idea of ours, guys, the one where we don't bother and shrug it off, because it's too much hassle trying to figure out what episode the producers were having?)
Last edited by EricJ on June 14th, 2010, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2010, 8:04 am

After voicing Lotso in TS3, it's wonderful to see Otis starting to get more work again.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 29th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Gotta admit that after reading the sneek peek on ComingSoon.net and watching the new trailer, I am getting more and more interested in this. The whole "western" concept seems neat.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 29th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Well that trailer was pretty goofy, and I love it. That seriously does NOT sound like Johnny Depp

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 29th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Really? I thought it sounded a lot like him. It's similar to the voice he used in "Corpse Bride," at least to my ears.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 30th, 2010, 7:09 am

Wow...this does look great! I love how animation has started to move away from the usual topics and is literally exploring new lands to tell new stories.

Is it me, though, or am I picking up a very Hunter S Thompson feel to the Rango character? That's pretty neat, and another Depp connection, and nice to hear that he's trying out further new things with the voices, here kind of mixing his Willy Wonka tone with the Corpse Bride's Victor.

But, above all else, this gives nothing away as what to expect! Further trailers will probably kill the mystique and say too much, but for now you just have to ask: just what the heck is Rango and who is this movie aimed at!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Rango

Post by starlioness » July 21st, 2010, 6:48 pm

so looking at the teaser trailer .. for some reason it almost reminded me of the Gecko from Geico .. but that's just me.. yeah, Johnny Depp again.. whoda thunk?..

are the people behind Barnyard and Jimmy Neutron involved with this?.. didn't get a chance to look into that..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Rango

Post by estefan » July 21st, 2010, 9:37 pm

starlioness wrote: are the people behind Barnyard and Jimmy Neutron involved with this?.. didn't get a chance to look into that..
Believe it or not, this is supposed to be the first full-length animated feature made by ILM, the visual effects company responsible for the effects in the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films.