Rango

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 8th, 2011, 5:21 pm

I still would have liked to see ILM's Frankenstein pic, but Rango sounds pretty coolio.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2011, 5:29 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzo_journalism

As it says, "the term has since been applied to other subjective artistic endeavors", but it mostly refers to taking things on in a bit of a spontaneous, wild 'n' wacky way, usually without planning, usually without the proper means of doing the job required (at least in terms of filmmaking). Kind of like "anything goes", which is why the word was so apt when a certain Muppet landed his name!

Yep...Frankenstein might well have been excellent, and as excited as I was, I can't but help think it might not have felt particularly "new". Rango certainly is... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 8th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Not to mention a brief, but very funny cameo from the writer most connected with Gonzo journalism. ;-)

Anyway, I also saw Rango today and my thoughts are as thus:

Gore Verbinski understands the appeal of the western and does a great job of populating it with various ugly-looking creatures. However, the animals looking trampled on is actually part of why the look of Rango is so unique. Every frame is wonderfully brought to life and the entire western presentation and the characters are brilliantly animated. The story also works very well and though there are obvious influences to the likes of Chinatown and High Noon, they are still able to keep it fresh and interesting through the entire running time. There is also a Looney Tunes inspiration during the film that makes it all the more fun, with jokes ranging from physical humour to verbal and even some hilarious nods to The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. There are a couple of points that slow down a tad and Isla Fisher's Beans is hard to understand at first, but Johnny Depp and the rest of the cast deliver as does the film as a whole.

By the way, I think it's awesome that Roger Deakins (my favourite director of photography) is becoming kind of a consultant to all of these animation productions. Wall-E and How to Train Your Dragon both looked amazing and this follows suit.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Rango

Post by droosan » March 13th, 2011, 6:48 am

I'm so-o-o-o glad I'd stayed out of this thread, for the last few months.

I walked into a midnight screening of Rango last night with zero expectations, and no idea of what I was in for.

It's an absolutely mind-blowing, amazing movie experience. :o

I realize that it sounds goofy, but I had a smile on my face throughout -- and I found myself saying, "wow!" out loud, several times.

Rango's storytelling style is very different from that of Pixar, Dreamworks, or even Blue Sky. Certainly, it tends to be predictable on the 'broad strokes' .. but there is a delightful surprise in every minute of the movie.

Go see it!! :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 13th, 2011, 1:45 pm

New-ness?

That is exactly what we need! :) Looking forward to seeing this one. The relative homogeneity in what has been a big animation field lately has been disappointing. Nice to have a new voice out there.

American_dog_2008

Re: Rango

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 13th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Looks worth the wait!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Just saw a quick featurette on this "Emotion Capture" I mentioned above. Turns out they shot a lot of the film in live-action, LIKE on a mo-cap stage, but this WASN'T mo-cap.

They filmed Johnny and company with basic props to get the movements and vocals...and then used that as live-action reference, just like back in the good old days.

Hence why the animation is so perfect, and why we have agreed that one can "see" Depp's performance in his character.

I, too, was blown away by Rango, Droo. Although I'd kept up with this thread, I didn't really look at any images/read any outside news/see any trailers apart from that very early teaser, and didn't know what to expect. I thought it was wonderful - and, yay, not in 3D! - and will likely go see again. I'm hoping it picks up BAF next year, and can maybe see a Picture nomination there too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 13th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Hopefully seeing it Tuesday. The "emotion capture" thing is an incredibly interesting way of doing it. Mo-Cap sucks completely obviously, but the way they did Rango just makes Mo-Cap look even WORSE in comparison.