Fave moments:
Doc and the "nipple clamps"
"So what'll we do?"
"Well, I hope I'm not disturbing anything"
"This is my Doc...ah, UNCLE..."
"Hell, I'm in it with you and even I don't understand it"

Expertly done.
One of my favorite moments was: "Who the hell is Clara!?" :lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2006, 9:33 am

Ben wrote:I <I>believe</I> that was stop motion animation with a puppet, although I could be wrong. But I do have an interview on tape with Bob Z and he has this puppet of Judge Doom on his shelf, so I'm assuming that's it. I don't think it's cel animation, though there could be additional effects added to it by ILM to make it look cel animated.
Okay...just checked and the Judge Doom flattening gag <I>is</I> stop-motion puppet animation.

Not done by Disney or Dick Williams, it was an SFX shot produced at Industrial Light And Magic.

So, now you know. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2006, 1:36 am

Okay...just checked and the Judge Doom flattening gag is stop-motion puppet animation.
Cool! :)

The first time I ever saw Roger Rabbit was at a camp overnight trip; it was on pay per view in the hotel room we were at and one of the counselors ordered it. When Doom gets flattened and starts to get up, this one kid went: "Oh, watch, this part's scary!" :P

it was an SFX shot produced at Industrial Light And Magic.
So technically it was Lucas' company. Lucas helping his pal Spielberg! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2006, 7:29 am

Well, all the film's SFX were done at ILM, Vi.

So, it's really Disney just going to the best FX shop in town. Also, Bob Z has a very strong friendship with Ken Ralston, and that played a part in where they went as Ken was at ILM at the time.

You'll now notice that Ken is at Sony ImageWorks, and where did Zemeckis get the effects done for his last three movies? Not ILM that's for sure! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 15th, 2006, 11:48 am

This is a spoof-video of The Ring (2002) but it's done with the same basic idea as the Back to the Future one--recut as a tearjerker. Really weird! (I think it even uses the same music as the BTTF one! :P )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 9th, 2006, 2:26 am

OK, this is a really weird, obsessive, absolutely random technical question about BTTF that for some reason I've always wondered about:

I watched some of BTTF on Bravo today and saw the part where Marty hooks up his camcorder to Doc's 1955 TV set ("An entire portable television studio!" :lol: ) and shows him what went down in the "future."

Would a 1955 TV set (with the actual TUBE in it after all) be compatible with a 1985 camcorder, and would Marty really have been able to hook them up like that?

(Maybe this should have been on the RIP, VHS thread! :P)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Yep it works.

525 line NTSC, the format the camera would have recorded to, came into effect in the early 1950s, so the only question is really how Marty was able to input it into the TV. I know early cameras had RF outputs as standard, so one assumes that Doc's TV had the same input, which I believe they did since 1936.

When they upgraded in the early 50s, there was a system proposed that would have been 800 lines resolution - almost hi-def that we could have already been enjoying for years and years!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 6:12 pm

, so the only question is really how Marty was able to input it into the TV.
I would think he would have needed some kind of cable or adapter, but I guess maybe he already had one with him in the Delorean or something.... :) Or maybe the Doc had some cables/wires lining around and they improvised?

Plus the image was in color, wasn't it, not B + W. I guess since the camera records in color it just projected it onto the TV, even though it was a B+ W set?

(I know, I know, I think too much! :roll: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2006, 6:07 am

No, image was B&W. A color image could never "project" it onto a b/w tube! :shock:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 15th, 2007, 9:22 am

Who else has seen the new Back to the Future commercials for DirecTV?

Here's the 30-second one:

Here's the 15-second one:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2007, 6:46 pm

Those are brilliant!

Great how they matched that up with the footage and are still thinking of BTTF as a sellable franchise.

Plus, Chris Lloyd doesn't look a day different! Great! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 21st, 2007, 6:18 pm

I loved them too! :)

When I first saw them I thought of you, Ben! :wink: :P

Hey, they constantly re-run BTTF on cable, usually back-to-back. :wink:

IMO they could still make tons of money off it, especially with a new ride at Universal! (Hoverboard! :) )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2007, 8:57 am

Money isn't always the reason for doing things!

But...I've love to see Doc back in a new adventure. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 22nd, 2007, 4:57 pm

Haha -- yeah, I've seen that commercial. I was laughing so hard. :lol:

I agree: Mr. Lloyd looks almost exactly the same as he did back when the films were made. Goodness knows, I'd love a fourth episode of Back to the Future, but I think the "The End" line during the closing of the third feature pretty much sealed the door. Still....

Oh, and my favorite Back to the Future film is the first one, but the third one was great, as well. The second episode, on the other hand.... :roll: (snigger)

And thanks for posting up the clips, Josh! ;)
Last edited by Mitch on January 22nd, 2007, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2007, 5:31 pm

I didn't like any of the two sequels. :shock: :roll:

Don't you mean Josh, Mitch?