Back to the Future

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 2nd, 2008, 2:59 am

droosan wrote:
Also ironically, the cause of that fire was a lightning strike. :!:

/SAVE the clock tower!!
Creepy. I guess it's true what they say about truth being stranger than fiction.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 4th, 2008, 2:29 pm

http://www.bttf.com/index.php?/weblog/m ... _screening

Back to the Future on Blu-ray was hinted at multiple times this past Saturday by Writer/Producer Bob Gale to a crowd of more than 350 fans who traveled from all across the nation to attend a rare Back to the Future screening and cast reunion near Orlando.
Gale was in town over this past weekend participating in the 5th Annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival benefiting the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central and North Florida. On Saturday, April 19, he joined actors Christopher Lloyd, Claudia Wells and Jeffrey Weissman on stage in a 50-minute “Inside the Actors Studio”-type discussion and audience Q&A session preceding a special screening of Back to the Future which was sponsored by BTTF.com.

Saturday's unsuspecting audience was taken by surprise when Gale announced at the onset that they would not be watching the movie on 35mm film, but rather would reviewing the digital master from which the Blu-ray transfer will be taken from — the first time the classic movie had ever been digitally projected on the big screen.

"What you're going to be seeing today is the digital master for the upcoming High Definition Blu-ray version of Back to the Future," declared Gale. "I dont' know when it's coming out yet, but I was involved in the mastering of this tape, so I can tell you that it looks absolutely beautiful!"...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 5th, 2008, 5:40 am

It was only a matter of <I>TIME!</I> ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Great Scott! Back to the Future Blu-rays!

Post by James » June 28th, 2010, 8:41 am

Woohoo! This is heavy!
At 88 miles per hour, Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd took millions of spellbound viewers on a high-flying voyage across the space-time continuum in a trio of wildly inventive tales that broke box-office records around the world. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Academy Award®-winning cinematic franchise that generated nearly one billion dollars worldwide, the Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy will debut on Blu-rayTM on October 26, 2010 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment. The 25th Anniversary Trilogy will also be available on DVD.

Now, for the first time ever, the past, present and future collide in eye-popping high definition for a time-traveling celebration featuring new 25th Anniversary restorations for perfect picture and the purest digital sound. More than two hours of all new bonus features have been added, including an all-new, six-part retrospective documentary featuring never-before-seen interviews with the cast, crew and filmmakers, including Michael J. Fox, for the definitive Back to the Future experience.
On October 26, 1985, Marty McFly took the driver’s seat in Dr. Emmet Brown’s DeLorean and introduced audiences to Back to the Future, a journey that launched a new era of moviemaking magic and reinvented the adventure-comedy genre. The film, which spent 11 weeks at #1 at the U.S. box office, boasts a legendary Hollywood pedigree that includes director Robert Zemeckis, executive producers Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy, producer and screenwriter Bob Gale and producer Neil Canton. Accompanying Fox and Lloyd on their warp-speed tour of McFly family history are an array of stars including Lea Thompson (“Caroline in the City”), Crispin Glover (Hot Tub Time Machine), Thomas F. Wilson (“Big Love”), Elisabeth Shue (Leaving Las Vegas), Billy Zane (Titanic), Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings trilogy) and Mary Steenburgen (The Proposal) as well as 1980s musical icons Huey Lewis and ZZ Top.

BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM: Unleash the power of your HDTV with perfect picture and the purest digital sound available.
U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive signature feature allows viewers to learn more about their favorite film without ever leaving the movie.
Setups & Payoffs: As you watch each of the three films, each “set up” showcases items in the scene that prepare you for a future plot point. When you get to that moment in the film, the “payoff” is shown to complete the correlation.
Storyboard Comparison: Compare key scenes in the movie with the original storyboards.
Trivia Track: Get inside trivia and facts while you watch the movies.
BD-LIVETM: Access the BD-LiveTM Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more!
My Scenes: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movies.
pocket BLU™: USHE’s groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPhone®, iPod® touch, iPad®, Blackberry®, Android™, Windows and Macintosh computers and more to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-rayTM player and offers advanced features such as:
Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in their favorite episode.
Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard.
Archival Featurette Back to the Future Night: Hosted by Leslie Nielson, this original 30-minute special aired on NBC prior to the first television screening of the Back to the Future.

BLU-RAYTM AND DVD BONUS FEATURES
Tales from the Future: New six-part retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Director Robert Zemeckis, Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton, plus Executive Producer Steven Spielberg.*
In the Beginning . . .: Delve into the genesis of the project, casting, re-casting, the DeLorean, sets and overall pre-production.
Time to Go: Production stories through the release of the first film.
Keeping Time: The score and the songs of the Back to the Future Trilogy.
Time Flies: Learn more about how the sequel came about, the futuristic look, the special and visual effects, recreating 1955 and more.
Third Time’s the Charm: Learn about building a western town, Doc Brown’s love story, the casting of Mary Steenburgen, the train sequence and completing the Trilogy.
The Test of Time: Back to the Future becomes a phenomenon! President Reagan quotes the film, the Back to the Future ride opens at Universal Studios theme park and fans rebuild the iconic DeLorean. The film’s cast and crew take a look back and discuss why these beloved movies live on.
The Physics of Back To The Future: A discussion with celebrity best-selling author and physicist Dr. Michio Kaku about the overall appreciation of the science in the Back to the Future Trilogy*
Nuclear Test Site Ending Storyboard Sequence: Storyboard sequence of the original proposed ending of the film.*
16 Deleted Scenes
Michael J. Fox Q&A
Q&A Commentaries with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale
Feature Commentaries with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
Archival Featurettes
Making the Trilogy: Chapters One, Two & Three: Original 2002 DVD documentary that takes a look back in time.
The Making Of Back to the Future Part I, II & III: Provides a vintage and historic first look at the making of all three films.
The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy: a televised special hosted by Kirk Cameron addressing fans unanswered Back to the Future questions.
Behind-the-Scenes
Outtakes
Original Makeup Tests
Production Design
Storyboarding
Designing the DeLorean
Designing Time Travel
Hoverboard Test
Designing Hill Valley
Designing the Campaign
Back to the Future: The Ride
Music Videos:
Huey Lewis and the News “Power of Love”
ZZ Top “DoubleBack”
Photo Galleries, Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits
Theatrical Trailers

* Denotes new footage debuting on the 25th Anniversary Trilogy

SYNOPSES

Back to the Future
From the Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis comes Back to the Future, the original, groundbreaking adventure that sparked one of the most successful trilogies in Hollywood history. When teenager Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) is blasted to 1955 in the DeLorean time machine created by the eccentric Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd), he finds himself mixed up in a time-shattering chain reaction that could vaporize his future—and leave him trapped in the past. Powered by innovative special effects, unforgettable songs and non-stop action, Back to the Future is an unrivaled adventure that stands the test of time.

Back to the Future Part II
Getting back was only the beginning as the most spectacular time-travel adventure ever continues in Back to the Future Part II—the sequel that proves that lightning can strike twice! Picking up precisely where they left off, Marty and Doc (Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd) launch themselves to the year 2015 to fine-tune the future and inadvertently disrupt the space-time continuum. Now, their only chance to fix the present is by going back to 1955 again before it’s too late. From Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis, Back to the Future Part II provides more of the timeless excitement that made Back to the Future an unforgettable adventure.

Back to the Future Part III
They've saved the biggest trip for last as the most popular time-traveling movie trilogy ever comes to a rousing conclusion in Back to the Future Part III. Stranded in 1955 after a freak accident, Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) discovers he must travel back to 1885 to rescue Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) before he becomes smitten with schoolteacher Clara Clayton (Mary Steenburgen). Now, it's up to Marty to keep Doc out of trouble, get the DeLorean running, and put the past, present and future on track so they can all get back to where—and when—they belong. From the Academy Award®-winning filmmakers Steven Spielberg and Robert Zemeckis, Back to the Future Part III is a spectacular grand finale to the unforgettable blockbuster series.

About Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is a unit of Universal Pictures, a division of Universal Studios (http://www.universalstudios.com). Universal Studios is a part of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% owned by Vivendi.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION BLU-RAY™:
Street Date: October 26, 2010
Copyright: 2010 Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Selection Number: 61112394
Layers: BD-50
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen, 1.85:1
Rating: PG
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
Sound: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Spanish DTS Surround 5.1, French DTS Surround 5.1
Run Time: Back To The Future – 1 hour, 56 minutes
Back To The Future II – 1 hour, 48 minutes
Back To The Future III – 1 hour, 58 minutes

TECHNICAL INFORMATION DVD
Street Date: October 26, 2010
Copyright: 2010 Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Selection Number: 61114696
Layers: Dual
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen, 1.85:1
Rating: PG
Languages/Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French Subtitles
Sound: English Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Run Time: Back To The Future – 1 hour, 56 minutes
Back To The Future II – 1 hour, 48 minutes
Back To The Future III – 1 hour, 58 minutes

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2010, 9:19 am

I was actually going to post this on the front page with the cover art. :)

Whoo-hoo, indeedy! This is without doubt my favorite trilogy, and it looks like they're finally going to include the footage from BTTF: The Ride, which'll be fantastic!

Here's hoping Universal don't pull some kind of stupid trick and bung DVDs on the back of the BDs, for example. These should be two distinctive box sets in each format, with ideally four discs apiece to account for the three films and a platter of supplements.

Here's to the 30th Anniversary...when the cast and crew have pledged to meet for a reunion...in 2015! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 28th, 2010, 9:52 am

Too bad the special features look so skimpy.

Just kidding! Wow, that is one packed-looking set.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Great Scott! Back to the Future Blu-rays!

Post by Dan » June 28th, 2010, 11:26 am

Also released in the press release:
original.pjpeg.jpeg
original.pjpeg.jpeg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 11268 times
EDITED BY MODERATOR

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 28th, 2010, 11:56 am

Just a reminder Lord Akiyama that we should not hot link to another website's images. A lot of webmasters frown on it as they might consider it stealing their bandwidth.

Good news is we have a new attachment feature we added with the last forum update that makes it easy to add images to your post!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 28th, 2010, 12:23 pm

And here, I had just re-watched all three movies on DVD in a marathon viewing, this past Saturday .. :shock:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 28th, 2010, 6:50 pm

I'd like to get just the first film, thanks!

I could live without the other two...

About time they (Universal) got around to this, for sure!

Let's see what they do with Jaws.

I like that film ever better...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 28th, 2010, 8:38 pm

I've upgraded most of what I'd want on Blu-ray already, but with most anything that Spielberg had a hand in I'll still buy the Blu-ray.

This BTTF set looks pretty sweet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2010, 9:10 pm

I'm looking forward to the "set up and pay off" feature, since years ago I wrote my own listing of all the references backwards and forwards throughout the trilogy, which really does a brilliant job of weaving inbetween themselves more so that the Star Wars prequels, which needed to then revise chunks of the "later"/earlier movies.

Also, I love how the "array of stars" includes Elijah Wood - what, for his ten second, one-line blink-and-you'll-miss before he was "Elijah Wood" moment in Part II!?

Poor old Tom Wilson, though...he didn't really go on to anything major did he, other than that awful, awful National Lampoon Men In Black parody (a dire film with only one, though very good, running joke). And Claudia Wells doesn't even get a mention. Still, Leslie Nielson hosting a pre-movie TV special? Gotta see that!!

AV Team
AV Team

Re:

Post by Dan » June 28th, 2010, 11:51 pm

Ben wrote: Poor old Tom Wilson, though...he didn't really go on to anything major did he, other than that awful, awful National Lampoon Men In Black parody (a dire film with only one, though very good, running joke).
I still enjoy his performances in the Wing Commander computer games as Maniac.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 29th, 2010, 7:06 pm

I hope the "Keeping Time" feature is relatively in-depth and informative, as the original documentaries spent very little time on Silvestri's important contribution. And Back to the Future is one of the few films where pretty much every single song works perfectly (even if Time Bomb Town and Heaven is One Step Away are only used for about 5 seconds each.) It would be neat to hear Silvestri reflect on the score that brought him to prominence, especially since the liner notes in Intrada's CD release only had quotes from the old docs.

I wonder it they'll include any of the pre-show material from Back to the Future: The Ride, as there was some very funny stuff with Tom Wilson.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 30th, 2010, 6:55 am

I agree, though I fear we'll get five to ten minutes max, which considering he "saved the movie" according to Zemeckis (who asked him to provide the "big" that the movie was missing in editing, as any fan or those that have read the Intrada liner notes will know), just isn't enough! I'd also like to hear more on his work for Parts II and III, seeing that he revised many themes for II and then double-backed on himself to inject the rousing western feel into III.

With BTTF: The Ride, I'm hoping that all that footage, with Biff and Doc Brown, will be cut together sequentially to form the "story" that takes us off on the ride, leading into the ride footage itself, which simulator apart would still rock in Blu-ray HD. What's the betting, though, that this is just going to be a three-minute featurette that adds as a footnote, "hey, oh yeah, by the way, we did a ride"? Apart from anything else with this set, I sincerely hope not - this is the PRIME opportunity to run the ride footage now that it has vanished from the park, and would be the perfect lure for anyone sitting on the fence over this release (fools that they are!) :)