The Muppets

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Muppets

Post by gaastra » August 24th, 2023, 1:50 pm

Of course, no muppet babies "always love you" music video that aired on mtv to promote the film as an extra with Jim Henson in flipper feet walking Micheal Jacksons bille jean glowing sidewalk.

No trailers also? Guess were lucky it's on 4k at all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 24th, 2023, 4:40 pm

Yes we are, with original poster art and a new Oz commentary? Yes please.

Sure, the other things would be nice, but at least they bundle in the previous Blu with some extras.

Now we can hope — even though this is Sony and not Disney — for a 4K Christmas Carol and a 4K UNCUT 45th anniversary edition of The Muppet Movie next year, with all the trims that the UK VHS has, which lines up with the extended songs on the soundtrack album (and a better, longer scene with awesome Orson). I actually find the truncated US version, with the music drowning out the hilarious spoken gags in the credits too, to be almost unbearable to watch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 25th, 2023, 12:48 pm

Muppets From Space will likely be for(K)thcoming.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 25th, 2023, 2:12 pm

Okay, how was Orson's scene longer in the UK version? Did he have TWO lines?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2023, 7:07 pm

Basically, yes. It goes on longer and is more of a buildup/payoff after what they have bern through, leading into the Magic Store end song. Other parts essentially have one more verse in each of the sings, in keeping with the soundtrack album.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 28th, 2023, 5:26 am

Don't remember that one-- :?
Only deleted scene I remember from the theater showing was the COMPLETE recap of the first half of the film, when Kermit lets Dr. Teeth read the script to catch up.
gaastra wrote:
August 24th, 2023, 1:50 pm
Of course, no muppet babies "always love you" music video that aired on mtv to promote the film as an extra with Jim Henson in flipper feet walking Micheal Jacksons bille jean glowing sidewalk.
Can't recall whether Jim Henson or Steve Barron (who was also at Henson directing "The Storyteller") directed the Babies' music video, but that was definitely an in-joke over Barron directing Jackson's Billie Jean video.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 28th, 2023, 8:37 am

I lament not transferring my uncut, open matte VHS when I had the chance. I can’t believe there’s so little about the longer cut online. Rowlf's song has the extra verse, loads of scene extensions and most of all being able to hear all the dialogue and puns in the end credits (which the US version swamps with the music).

US version ran 94 mins at 24fps, cutting Rowlf's song due to what some felt were "adult references" (though remaining uncut on the soundtrack album) and the UK version ran 98 mins (although confusingly this shows also as 94 mins because of the 25fps PAL speedup). Such a shame this better, finished version (officially the ITC approved cut that was then changed in the US distribution and has remained stuck as such ever since) isn’t really known about, or has ever been shown or made available again outside of the initial UK cinema release, television showings and first home video releases.

The first I even knew about a trimmed version was Sony's DVD, which I was really disappointed with for not "feeling right". Layer I obviously found out that this was how the rest of the world had been seeing The Muppet Movie all that time…poor you guys! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 28th, 2023, 10:48 pm

Here are a few--

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 28th, 2023, 10:52 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 29th, 2023, 4:28 am

The full-length shots in the El Sleezo have never been bettered. The compositing and timing is seamless, and real magic, just like the rainbow at the end. So well done.

I can’t watch Never Before without a huge grin now. Used to be the "fast forward" moment when we were kids, which is maybe why it was trimmed a bit, but unto, the Sony DVD came along I hasn’t appreciated how, in the context of the film, it’s just so brilliant how it just builds and builds in classic Piggy style, and you need the extra bits in there for that to happen.

The extra bits really are mostly "just" scene extensions, but they do add so much in terms of nuance, pacing and rhythm. And the songs match the soundtrack, which is obviously how they were meant to be heard. It’s these little things, like the more awesome Orson, that makes it feel less rushed. They spend all that time making it to HOLLYwood only for Orson to just give them a contract; in the longer version, Kermit has to make more of a case to a more sceptical Welles who doesn’t just give in.

I’ll always be tied to Caper for lots of reasons, but The Muppet Movie really is a fantastic and deservedly classic film. Although the shoot was an unhappy set from the sounds of things, they really did go all out on making sure everything was top notch. Would have been great if those Criterion rumors were true.

But, sadly, it was a myth… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 29th, 2023, 7:12 am

...Yeth?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 29th, 2023, 7:22 am

Go back to the El Sleezo (above), Eric, and try again… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 29th, 2023, 7:43 am

Did ebert like muppets take?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 29th, 2023, 8:24 pm

Four thumbs up! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 30th, 2023, 1:08 am

Sadly, Roger did have a point about Henson's jokey, sitcom take on Great Muppet Caper: