The Muppets

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The NEW Muppet Movie

Post by Daniel » June 26th, 2020, 2:48 pm

One would hope so. One thing in the series favor is it will be short-form.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 2nd, 2020, 3:28 pm

Two months ago a new version of "Rainbow Connection" was uploaded online. You can view it in its entirety here:

Now take a gander at this, someone edited a version to showcase Jim, Steve and Matt:

Pretty fascinating to compare. I think this highlights a lot of Matt's talents actually. Just not the voice. Sounds like a hollow version of Jim's. More noticeable side-by-side, like a pitch lower when compared to the other two. And like I've said in the past, stuffy like he has a cold. Not quite there yet...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2020, 5:08 am

Whitmire was so much closer in tone and pitch, and also just brought *life* to Kermie that Vogel is missing. Look at the pause at the end where he just stops for a moment: there’s a way to do that without the puppet resembling a soft toy. Plus the tempo is too slow and lethargic, making his already lower timbre voice sound like Bill Farmer's Goofy in places!

I really really really want to try and like the new Mr The Frog, and he obviously has big and tough flippers to fill, but he’s not nailing it. The spontaneity just isn’t there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 18th, 2020, 3:11 pm

"Muppets Now" promo:

I'm loving Joe the Legal Weasel! Also nice to see Walter, look at the treasures behind him.

Yeah, Kermie's voice. Feelings still unchanged. Up until Kermit speaks he's literally stiff like a plush doll. Steve had so many subtle quirks and traits. Even the arm flail feels subdued.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 18th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Also nice to see Walter, look at the treasures behind him.
So, they're still tripling-down on Walter, their promised "All-new character!" who had absolutely no function or personality whatsoever outside of the context of the '11 movie, then?...NONE.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Walter finally gives one of the Whatnots a chance at a starring role.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 28th, 2020, 2:07 pm

An inspiring review. Yay indeed!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 31st, 2020, 10:27 pm

I was worried, but ended up really enjoying the new Muppets show. Looking forward to more!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 1st, 2020, 4:19 pm

Aside from the general issues of Kermit's voice/mannerisms, I also thought it was an absolute delight. Refreshing, though maybe in some ways playing it a bit safe.

The segments were just right and didn't drag on. I genuinely laughed at many parts. Loved Swedish Chef's segment, especially when he ordered delivery and kept shouting "No tip!". Definite highlight for me. The RuPaul interview worked so well. Howard Tubman practically stole the show. I also liked Miss Piggy and Deadly, they have such great chemistry together. Walter finding a place with the regulars was nice. Disappointed with the lack of songs. The musical numbers were one of the best aspects from "The Muppet Show". Maybe they'll make an appearance later on.

I truly believe this is going to be a stepping stone for another Muppets resurgence if it continues on this path. Fun and witty so far. Can't wait to see more!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 2nd, 2020, 4:19 pm

Steve's Kermit was just so warm. Thank heavens he at least got to do the last two Muppet movies before whatever drama it was finally went down, because the new Kermit is so off in ways that are truly unfortunate (and distracting!).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 2nd, 2020, 4:49 pm

I’ve given this a lot of thought as to what isn’t quite right and he, ultimately, sounds drunk.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 10th, 2020, 2:28 pm

I thought Muppisode 2 was better than the premiere, though probably could do with a little less teaching. It also felt a little samey. Still, Pepe's game show was my favorite. Classic Muppets.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Apparently the downside to this series is that each episode repeats the formula to the point where it becomes very samey each time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 13th, 2020, 3:41 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 14th, 2020, 6:55 am

Well that just happened...