The Muppets

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The NEW Muppet Movie

Post by EricJ » November 2nd, 2020, 7:22 pm

I can't believe there's anyone who hates Paul Williams movie songs. And this from the director of Muppet Christmas Carol.

(Next, he'll trash-talk Bugsy Malone or Phantom of the Paradise, no doubt...)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2020, 8:48 pm

As a frequent Muppet set visitor, I can honestly say I never really saw Brian Henson around that much in the good old days. And for someone complaining about someone else sponging off his Dad's legacy, he sure was quick to jump in and try make a name for himself with Christmas Carol and, to a much lesser extent, Treasure Island (well, when he wasn’t off trying out various recreational activities and leaving second unit director David Lane to shoot most of that movie).

I’m glad that article made mention of Louise Gold, since Jim never intentionally cut ladies out of Muppeteering. That’s just the natural way the gang fell together back then and those practices outlined are more recent occurrences. Such a shame that Frank Oz wasn’t given more credit and authority to shepherd things along after Jim's passing, but the family thought they knew best, making bad decision after bad decision rather than going direct to the well and consulting the source: Jim's own main man.

As far as Paul Williams goes, Still Alive is a lovely little movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2020, 3:40 pm

This made my day:

So cute! All of the moments are great, my favorite was Gonzo and Camilla the Chicken! Aww indeed! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 9th, 2020, 4:55 pm

They found the lost master negative of "When Love is Gone"!! Such a pretty and integral song. And a 4K remaster is in the offing! Would make a great Crimbo present! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2020, 8:59 pm

As posted on the front page! ;)

Would love a 4K disc...but probably not realistic until next year, maybe for another "almost 30th anniversary edition". Which is kind of stupid because there’s no way MCC is even close to being thirty froggin' years old...!

Oh...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 9th, 2020, 9:34 pm

TWO! TWO pieces of good news today! (Say that using the voice of The Count from Sesame Street.)

First, I was so happy today that Canada became the second country to approve Pfizer's vaccine. And THIS! THIS! So, so great. It was a real shame that the song was ever removed, because silly Katzenberg underestimated kids (as if THEY were the only audience for that wonderful film!). Looks like I'll be buying the film again for the fifth time.

The article is a bit misleading, though, as the original version IS available on DVD, albeit in 4:3 only, while the chopped version got a 1.85:1 transfer. It's totally absent on the Blu-ray.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2020, 5:28 am

Randall wrote:
December 9th, 2020, 9:34 pm
TWO! TWO pieces of good news today! Ah...ha...ha...ha...ha...
I fixed this for you. ;)

And don’t forget the 1.85 LaserDisc, which is fully uncut in widescreen. :)

We swap over to that for When Love Is Gone when we play MCC at Christmas, as it’s still the same widescreen framing as the BD, though was tempted to "crop the sides" and try swapping to the DVD next time.

The LD was likely only an interlaced NTSC video master, but it would have been on the D1 format, which is component, so to say that all versions had gone missing is a little hyperbole, really, and they could have included the scene as a standard def extra.

But whichever way, Katzenberg’s choice be gone! He also wanted to lose Part Of Your World and is the reason we kept getting comedy sidekick business in the slower romantic songs in the renaissance movies. I guess he thought he was Louis B Mayer, who wanted to cut Over The Rainbow from Oz. Yeah...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2020, 1:44 pm

By "Would make a great Crimbo present!" I meant landing on Disney+ like the article was suggesting. Should've been more clear!

When I saw the article (I swear I didn't see it posted!) thought a NEW song had been discovered. That was also misleading. Well, at least something good came out of this miserable year. Eerie though since I had just mentioned the song recently.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 1st, 2021, 11:19 pm

When the clock strikes midnight this New Year’s, The Great Gatsby and other works copyrighted in 1925 will enter the public domain, becoming freely available for re-publication and — most importantly — puppet-themed adaptation. More than anything in 2021, I need the Muppet version of The Great Gatsby.

Picture this: Kermit in period-specific 1920s dress, playing the mysterious host to a huge party in West Egg. Or Miss Piggy, decked out in flapper regalia, in an abusive relationship with Fozzie Bear as her cruel, philandering husband, Tom Buchanan. There’s obvious aesthetic charms to The Muppets version of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s great American novel, but beyond that, The Muppets’ takes on classic stories are often better...
https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2020/12/3 ... ion-disney

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 2nd, 2021, 12:23 am

I like the idea, except for using Fozzie as a jerk. That would be miscasting.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 2nd, 2021, 12:57 am

Well naturally you'd have to change up the casting so you could call it The Great Gonzo.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2021, 5:19 am

Yes, Dacey! :D

The Muppets would work well translating practically any story, but there are far many more out there that I’d like to see them get to before ones that might not be the most perfect fit. And while these versions would be fun, they've already Muppetised quite a few stories already and I’d kind of like to see them engaging in new and better projects. Using them as just a stock company to make comedy takes on other stories just seems a little...lazy?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 2nd, 2021, 1:31 pm

Seems a bit heavy for Muppets... although Kermit would look quite dapper!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 2nd, 2021, 4:09 pm

Definitely! “Hi-ho, old Sport!”

:P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 7th, 2021, 6:16 pm

Movin’ right along to 2021:

https://youtu.be/K3Xihw-mAS4
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!