The Muppets

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Muppets

Post by Bill1978 » April 6th, 2022, 12:10 am

EricJ wrote:
April 4th, 2022, 5:45 pm

Having looked at the narrative version of "The Eyes of Tammy Faye" before the Oscars (rent the original doc immediately), it seems like narrative biopic remakes of hit documentaries--like The Walk's version of Man on Wire, or the Christian Bale version of "Little Dieter Needs to Fly"--are Hollywood's version of "How DARE those snooty arthouse theaters have an actual commercial audience success! Everyone knows it would be better as a REAL movie!" :lol:

Maybe this is why Flee went home empty-handed at the Oscars this year. The non-documentary crowd were frustrated they couldn't adapt it. It was a documentary but presented like a movie normally is. There really is no point in redoing that superb documentary as a 'movie' as it already kinda is.

I will admit that I am one of those people who lean more towards watching the movie than the documentary. There is only so much talking heads, old footage and still photographs my brain can handle with a biopic. Pretty sure I would sit down and watch a dramatic interpretation of Jim Henson's life.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 6th, 2022, 1:52 pm

Tahj Mowry joins "The Muppets Mayhem".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 30th, 2022, 3:04 pm

The Muppet Movie soundtrack gets a new remaster on vinyl!

Kermit in the rainbow's ray, simply gorgeous.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2022, 5:22 pm

The fact they’ve gone back to the original audio stems hopefully means that Disney is finally, finally going back to the movie itself, too, and working on restoring the *full length* cut that the songs on this album correspond to. Maybe an "almost 45th anniversary edition"…? It’s a much better version *and* you get to hear all the joke dialogue between the Muppets in the movie theatre after Sweetums bursts through the screen and the credits roll. I have an open matte VHS, but a matted widescreen remastered uncut print would be lovely…!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 1st, 2022, 1:39 am

Yes, a gorgeous cover! And a wonderful thought about maybe getting a new movie disc, too. It would be nice if they could really make it special.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 1st, 2022, 4:03 am

OMG…it would never happen, but I just had an insane thought that The Muppet Movie should be in the Criterion Collection. No joke.

Put a C in the top left corner of that album art and you even have your sleeve (though I’d be more up for Drew Struzan's original Gone With The Wind poster, really).

Extras to include *both* cuts — the 95m US version and the 101m "international" cut — plus the usual camera test footage, the two Muppet movies specials, commentary from Frank Oz, Martin Baker, etc, retrospective documentary featuring plentiful archival onset photography, a guide to the cameos, featurettes on "The Final Shot" (including Burton and Landis recollections!?), "The Rainbow Connection" talking to Paul Williams and "The Muppets Phenomenon (Doo-Doo-Do-Do-Do!)" on just how massive they were at the time, the theatrical trailer, plus, while a guy is dreaming, Muppet Caper as a bonus (hey, Criterion seem to be including sequels as extras thesedays)!

Wow, that would be totally warranted and awesome. On a 4K disc, please Criterion. Talk to Disney, make it happen. You have two years… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 1st, 2022, 6:43 am

Ben wrote:
May 1st, 2022, 4:03 am
"The Rainbow Connection" talking to Paul Williams
If that recent documentary is anything to go by, I'm not sure if Williams is in the mood for talking.

And yeah, I remember back when studios didn't care about laser/DVD, and Criterion could have their pick, regardless of studio....(sigh).
Good times, they were. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 1st, 2022, 9:47 am

'Tis a good dream.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 2nd, 2022, 3:49 pm

And one shared by other lovers:

With Ben's preference, too! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2022, 7:03 pm

Oh, my word…!

Lovers and dreamers indeed! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 3rd, 2022, 12:52 pm

Today sees the season 4 premiere of "Holey Moley", a reality competition show on ABC, and for this season The Muppets will be guest commentators:

Possible brilliant mash-up. I'll be watching!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 9th, 2022, 3:40 pm

Lego recently launched Muppet minifigures. To mark the release, they posted a video recreating the musical opening sequence of "The Muppet Show". Way too adorable!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Not quite Muppet, not quite Lego…?

If it’s a Muppet, then it’s a very Lego Muppet! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 11th, 2022, 2:34 pm

My Target had the minifigures in stock, retail for $5. Only drawback is they come in mystery bags. From what I was able to feel they didn't have who I wanted. Interested in getting Kermit and Gonzo since he comes with Camilla and I just love that chicken!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 11th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Awwwe…

;)