Rock & Rule

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Rock & Rule

Post by GeorgeC » March 4th, 2005, 9:40 pm

I'm surprised!

There's been talk of the new Rock & Rule DVDs at both Animation Nation and Cartoon Brew the past day or so.

This movie, while it's probably not that good (it didn't make that much of an impression on me in my younger days), is infamous for not being available for a VERY long time! It's something of a lost cult-classic.

Some stories I've heard or read indicate there were at least 1 or 2 scenes deleted from home video versions that had drug use in them..?

Sounds sorta like the "vacuum cleaner" scene in the original Heavy Metal if you get my drift! :lol:

While I normally frown on drug use, that bit in HM was funny...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2005, 4:07 pm

Been following the progress of this feature for a while now... it's been quite the talking point on a number of DVD chat forums.

Looks like, after much fan deliberation and to-ing and fro-ing between them and the company putting it out, they have locked the features.

Looks like the mooted complete alternate version of the film will end up on disc two, something that wasn't certain for a long, long time, plus great that Devil And Daniel Mouse is becoming available at the same time!

Here's hoping it's easier to find than the Harryhausen DVD!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 5th, 2005, 9:54 pm

The only bad thing I've heard about the alternate version of the film is the fact that it apparently only exists on tape at this point in time.

Somebody lost or destroyed the original cut of Rock & Rule so only the theatrical cut exists on film.

I don't know how much restoration can be done on a tape version of the movie so I wouldn't expect the longer version to look as good as the theatrical cut.

This is going to become a problem in the future with anything that only exists on standard analog tape. There just hasn't been a miracle breakthrough in processing to make tape look better on higher-definition formats. You really can't bump up old video formats to the newer high-definition standards. Video tape already looks awful on DVD and it only look worse on HDTV and whatever else comes out in the future.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 6th, 2005, 10:08 am

Better to have it than not at all, though, right?

Yes, the second version will be from a tape transfer, and I believe is being labelled as a "workprint" (though that just be a way of getting around the lack of quality).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Rock and Rule

Post by Darkblade » March 19th, 2009, 7:57 am

Has anyone heard of this movie? This cartoon came out in the 80's... But however got blowned away by Heavy Metal.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » March 19th, 2009, 9:27 am

I have the DVD. ^^

Love the movie. It's flawed in parts but I thought the art direction and songs were awesome.
*insert witty comment*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 19th, 2009, 9:58 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » April 29th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Ive heard about this movie and it was pretty interesting. Too bad it didnt have a soundtrack release, also John K talked about this film on his blog last year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 29th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Deborah Harry re-worked "Angel's Song" into a new song titled "Maybe For Sure" on her 1989 album Def, Dumb and Blonde. I think it may also be on one of her "greatest hits" compilation CDs.

While the lyrics are different, the melody and backing music is exactly the same as the song she sings in Rock & Rule .. right down to her 'talking solo' and magic 'Aaaaah-ahh-ah-ahhhhhhh' vocal in the middle.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

R&R

Post by Switchblade Sister » May 2nd, 2009, 5:41 pm

Rock and Rule is available on DVD, including a 2 disc version with tons of extras and documentaries about the making of the film. It was made by Nelvana, in Canada.

It's a terrible film, really. But it's interesting as well for all kinds of reasons (which don't make it a good movie). The animation is really unique. Frankly, the extras and documentaries are more interesting than the movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2009, 5:25 pm

Um, Switchblade...Rand just posted this:

http://animated-views.com/2005/rock-rul ... s-edition/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 5th, 2009, 9:34 pm

I have that collector's set, it has a bunch of good extras. So awesome.... *goes off to watch some special features*
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]