Secret of Kells

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Secret of Kells

Post by Dacey » October 21st, 2010, 2:36 pm

So, since it "doesn't matter anyway", the "spare" nomination usually goes to an undiscovered "Support your local arthouse" favorite for charity's sake, like "Persepolis" or "Waltz With Bashir".
Have you even seen "Persepolis," Eirc? Because I don't think that that movie was only nominated "for charity's sake."
Even with three nominations, the committee knows that it's going to be Pixar vs. Dreamworks, or with five nominees, Pixar vs. Disney vs. DW, and that the fourth and fifth nominees barely need to show up...
That's why "Monsters Vs. Aliens" was nominated last year, right? Oh, wait a second, it wasn't.

Now, granted, this year it's going to be "Dragon" vs. "Toy Story 3," but that doesn't mean that the other nomination--whatever it may be--isn't going to matter.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by droosan » October 21st, 2010, 2:53 pm

EricJ wrote:Square fingers...That's what I'm talking about. Only cable-series characters have square fingers.
Yes; in all of human history (and especially in medieval times), humans were never depicted with angular hands and square fingers. It was only the advent of animated cable television which spurred this artistic innovation. :|

---------------------

I must admit that I'm a bit perplexed by the amount of ambivalent reaction to The Secret of Kells, here.

I was rather captivated with the storytelling from the start, and (obviously) loved its use of medieval/Celtic styling. I will agree that it perhaps doesn't achieve a climactic 'ending' as is expected of most western animated films .. but I felt that the finale's use of imagery from the actual Book of Kells was both clever, and uplifting.

Maybe its just all the 'art history' classes I took in college, twenty years ago .. but I very much enjoyed it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » October 21st, 2010, 4:51 pm

EricJ wrote: So, since it "doesn't matter anyway", the "spare" nomination usually goes to an undiscovered "Support your local arthouse" favorite for charity's sake, like "Persepolis" or "Waltz With Bashir". "A Town Called Panic" was also the lead favorite for the "exposure" nominee, but Kells' "Imitation of medieval style" had just recently taken all the critics by surprise--And that shortly after the whole summer campaign to say "Why haven't you seen Hurt Locker, either?", which was driving the awards that year.
If they wanted to give a "charity nomination", as you say, again, should have gone with Ponyo. Or if they wanted to go more obscure (and Miyazaki is slowly becoming more well-known among the North American populace), a nomination for Mary and Max would have also been well-deserved.

And to expand on droosan's comment, after Ratatouille, Persepolis was the second most-likely to win that year. Surf's Up was the major surprise that year, since everybody thought The Simpsons Movie or Bee Movie would get that third slot.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2010, 5:43 pm

I actually think your art history class probably did help your enjoyment, Droo. And I agree that the final assemblage of the Book Of Kells at the end was uplifting (and I didn't actually miss any kind of "climax" since it wasn't that sort of film, though anyone wanting one would find it in the Viking invasion toward the end).

My problem accessing the overall story was in the lack of backstory and personal knowledge of the Book itself, which is why I made a point in my review of not suggesting the film was "bad" or anything such. It's an achievement, and one I really wanted to like, and I did find the visuals stunning (and got their inspiration), but I just couldn't connect with what was happening. I look forward to watching it again at some point, and maybe finding more in it emotionally.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 21st, 2010, 5:51 pm

estefan wrote:If they wanted to give a "charity nomination", as you say, again, should have gone with Ponyo. Or if they wanted to go more obscure (and Miyazaki is slowly becoming more well-known among the North American populace), a nomination for Mary and Max would have also been well-deserved.
They Shoulda, and for most of the Oscars thread, we thought they Woulda--
But at the last cut, Ponyo seemed too studio-backed and mainstream, and the critic/voter support for Kells and Panic was more sentimental, "protective" and grass-roots. (And, of course, Fantastic Mr. Fox had even more critic Kool-Aid support than "Cloudy".)

As for droo's loyal support however, there's a REASON why most of the defenders prefer to show still frames of how much it "looks like" ancient Celtic art: Still frames don't move or speak.
For that argument, we turn to YouTube for visual aid--Here is a clip from Kells:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXRRv4llXTA
Here is a clip from Samurai Jack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neky7mxchcM

...Kells is the one with the Irish people in it. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 21st, 2010, 6:12 pm

.. and here's a clip from The Thief and the Cobbler:

.. which has .. barbarian .. people in it.

.. and much of which was animated while Mr. Tartakovsky was still in high school. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 21st, 2010, 6:44 pm

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 21st, 2010, 6:46 pm

.. and don't get me wrong; I consider Genndy Tartakovsky to be among the most talented and visionary animation artists working today. His Sym-bionic Titan is currently part of my 'must-see' weekly viewing.

I just don't see the direct influence EricJ is implying between his work and that of The Secret of Kells.

Similarities? Sure. Direct 'lifts'..? I'm sorry, but no.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 21st, 2010, 10:51 pm

American_dog_2008 wrote:Kells deserved the Oscar.
It absolutely did not deserve the Oscar.

The Hurt Locker didn't either, that piece of crap

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 22nd, 2010, 7:24 am

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2010, 2:37 pm

I love that Simpsons quote.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » October 22nd, 2010, 3:25 pm

I aint the only one who thinks Kells deserved the Oscar. I even saw Up winning it a mile away. Doesnt even ANYONE care about the other animation thats out there besides Disney/pixar? Oh and isnt that from the recobbled cut?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 23rd, 2010, 2:49 am

Hopefully I can find time to sit down and watch my copy of The Secret Of Kells. I've had it for 2 months but have done nothing about watching it. All the discussion in recent days has reminded me of my laziness. In regards to the Oscar nom Iwill say this. If it wasn't for the nom, I would not have known about the film or require to purchase it. So that's a positive.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 23rd, 2010, 7:57 am

I still say that Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs got robbed out of an Oscar nom. I would never have expected it to win, but it at least deserved to be recognized. Plus it would have been funny to see Flint's interview

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » October 23rd, 2010, 10:13 am

That's where some of my frustration with Pixar movies, nothing against them in any way, but IMHO...there are some better movies out there besides their movies. I mean..unless you are a fanboy or something. I know the obvious but you know what I mean.
Anyway...
We bought Kells and were captivated with the amazing design of the charcaters and backgrounds. The story was pretty great as well, some dark moments which I didn't expect, but that was pretty awesome. I could go on and on about it..but it all comes down to this:

I don't think UP should have won... :/
I think there were alot of movies robbed.
I think Coraline should have taken it.
http://www.elioliart.com/