Oscars 2010

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Oscars 2010

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2010, 12:01 pm

With the announcement of the eligible animated films in this year's Academy Award list of "nominatable" films:

http://animatedviews.com/2010/15-films- ... he-oscars/

...I thought it was about time to start off our official 2010 thread, which will spread up to, and cover, the ABC telecast of the ceremony itself, on Sunday, March 7, 2011.

So...from the 15 titles, only three will make the final cut. Toy Story 3 is a no-brainer, and there's much talk that How To Train Your Dragon will make it into the second slot (I'm not so sure, personally, but DWs does have a lot of support!).

As for the third, we can safely discount a fair number (Alpha And Omega, Kitty Galore, Legend Of The Guardians, Tinker Bell's Fairy Rescue), though this does leave a big selection of studio blockbusters and independents.

On the studio side, Despicable Me got good notices and big box-office, while Megamind is still playing to packed audiences (could DWs gain two places in the race this year, or could Megamind oust Dragon from its so-called sure fire spot, even if Shrek Forever After's chances are slim?), and Tangled has even yet to debut and could surprise all.

On the independent side, The Illusionist has to be the frontrunner if the Academy want to reward an arthouse film. I haven't seen (or even heard of some of) the other films, but they include The Dreams Of Jinsha, Bill Plympton's Idiots And Angels, My Dog Tulip
 and Summer Wars.

Personally, I think TS3 has it sewn up for a win and a probably Best Picture nomination. DreamWorks could be seen in one spot due to the amount they have released, but I'm not sure Dragon is such a shoo-in. I don't think Shrek has a chance, and, to be fair, I don't think the other independents do either. Megamind could be in there, but it would probably be Dragon's call for DWs, if they get a spot.

Everyone's been waiting for Disney to get back on top again, and maybe Tangled is it. Or maybe the studio shenanigans, director changes, name changes, marketing over artistic choices, etc, could give it a bad rep among voters. So, on top of TS3, who do you think it's down to? Do Dragon, Despicable Me and The Illusionist have what it takes to make spots #2 and #3?

Or is Alpha And Omega the outside winner!? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Oscars 2010

Post by Dacey » November 17th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Well, no matter what happens, "How to Train Your Dragon" should be the winner. ;)

Best animated movie of the year. Period.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 17th, 2010, 2:12 pm

Interesting!

I'm somewhat prone to go along with that, although I'm not quite sure Dragon is a BAF winner (wonderful work from DWs, but not totally free of basic plot cliches). Then again, some that have won it before haven't always been the clear "best" pictures, so anything goes.

I have a feeling, though, that Toy Story will win it if for no other reason than to celebrate the series that started the CG trend before the BAF award was in place. At least this way they can say the "series" was "honored" even if the first two films were released before the category came into play.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 17th, 2010, 2:23 pm

I think the nominees will easily be Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon and Tangled. Jerry Beck aside, I have heard nothing but raves for Tangled to the point of even comparisons being made to The Little Mermaid. Plus, this could be their only chance to nominate an Alan Menken fairy tale musical.

I think Toy Story 3 has the award in the bag, with other nominations likely being in Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Original Song and one or even both of the sound categories. Maybe if the Academy is feeling adventurous, it could slip into Best Film Editing or Best Director (but that's probably wishful thinking on my part, as I would like to see an animated film to be in more than just the usual categories).

I also think How to Train Your Dragon has a real shot at original score and Tangled will probably get a song nomination.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 17th, 2010, 4:02 pm

I think Toy Story 3 has the award in the bag, with other nominations likely being in Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Original Song and one or even both of the sound categories.
Best "Adapted Screenplay"??? Was this a typo, or do you mean adapted from Disney's original screenplay (if that even counts)?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 17th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Apparently, under Academy rules, sequels are considered adapted, even when following original material. Before Sunrise, for instance, was nominated in adapted screenplay some years back, simply because it was a sequel to Before Sunset.

So, that is where Disney is campaigning Toy Story 3. To add to the screenplay confusion, they have Tangled listed as an original screenplay on their awards consideration page, even though it's based on the story of Rapunzel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » November 17th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Although it probobly won't happen, HTTYD has my vote. It did something to me that TS3 ..didn't. I can't quite explain it. I went in going with of course high hopes, but, put it this way, it was a very good movie. VERY good, but I guess HTTYD was a surprise,but it just blew me away. I suppose people think I don't know anything about movies just because I don't pick the latter most popular choice,*coughcartoonbrewcough* but eh, opinions are different. :) Oh well, I hope it gets something for the soundtrack. But who knows...
http://www.elioliart.com/

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 17th, 2010, 6:31 pm

Yay, Alpha & Omega got submitted!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 17th, 2010, 7:00 pm

ELIOLI wrote:Although it probobly won't happen, HTTYD has my vote. It did something to me that TS3 ..didn't. I can't quite explain it. I went in going with of course high hopes, but, put it this way, it was a very good movie. VERY good, but I guess HTTYD was a surprise,but it just blew me away. .
Dragon seemed too much like "Yes, it's good, but Dreamworks is playing with another kids' toys--They couldn't make this again without bringing in ringers."
And thought TS3 wasn't quite TS2, since for all the huggy moments, it lacked that 1% of Lasseter gushiness that even Cars had--We get the obligatory abandoned-dreams-flashback Jessie moment, but this time, it's for Lotso...Boo, he's evil, who cares? :P

BUT: As long as there's some probability that TS3 might not get Best Picture as expected, D/P has to keep a foot in BAF as backup. (We thought Up was a shoe-in last year, but forgot never to underestimate the Be Kind to Hurt Locker crowd...There's no such "crusade" this year for King's Speech or Social Network, so TS3's race is pretty well unopposed, but that's the pitfall of applying reason to the post-'04 Oscars.)
Yes, if it was five nominees, Disney would get a spot for both their favorites, DW would get theirs with or without Dragon, and there'd be enough room for "good mainstream" Despicable and "Indie discovery" Illusionist. But since we don't, Tangled may just have to stay home with our full good wishes and sympathy. :cry:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 17th, 2010, 10:30 pm

TS3 can really only hope for a Best Picture nom, Eric. As for it actually winning, that seems highly unlikely.

It will win Best Animated Feature without any problem, with the only really thing standing in its path being the "are they really going to give it to Pixar again?" feeling that some people are starting to have about the award now.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 17th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Toy Story 3 for the win. HTTYD has good buzz for sure, so it likely gets a nod. Then, though I haven't seen it yet, I'm pulling for The Illusionist, just to get past the big studio offerings.

Despicable Me? No way! It was okay, but nothing special.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 17th, 2010, 11:35 pm

"Me" could get a nod out of sympathy for coming from a brand new studio. And a lot of people really liked it.

As far as I can tell, the third nomination is up for grabs at this point. "Megamind," "Tangled," "Despicable Me," and "The Illusionist" all have pretty much equal chances of getting it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 18th, 2010, 3:37 am

Dacey wrote:TS3 can really only hope for a Best Picture nom, Eric. As for it actually winning, that seems highly unlikely.
It will win Best Animated Feature without any problem, with the only really thing standing in its path being the "are they really going to give it to Pixar again?" feeling that some people are starting to have about the award now.
Well, that's sort of actually WHY its winning has been rather likely for the last three years (as they've wanted to since TS2, but Wall-E not being Picture nominated sort of forced the issue to a standoff, and, as mentioned, the win was pre-empted last year by more important causes): Animated Feature just isn't considered "good enough" for Pixar anymore.
(Remember when they were trying to get a toe in the door by asking whether Patton Oswalt could be "nominated for Actor on a voice performance?" just because they were trying to insinuate Ratatouille somewhere into the Big Six for a starter?
The voters. WILL NOT. GIVE UP. Until they get their Picture. They have sworn a blood oath.)

Both actors and technicians vote on Picture; some sit down and watch all the screeners, and most don't have time to and go with their gut viewing experience from the past year...Which is why the most widely commonly-remembered Populist favorite always wins (whenever there is a Populist favorite, which we haven't had for the last six years unless you count LA voters and "Crash"), no matter how loudly pundits predict "Oh, but the Academy will recognize the quality of (Snooty Cerebral Critics' Circle Winner)!"
Which is what always gave the Oscars credibility: In the better years, it went to the best MOVIE, instead of the best Film. :)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 24th, 2010, 2:43 pm

Such a shame Belka i Strelka Space Dogs wasn't submitted.

But, Russia is submitted in foreign language for The Edge.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 24th, 2010, 4:05 pm

For some weird reason, the link isnt working. Whats up for the Oscars? I wouldnt be surprised if Httyd was on the list.