Post by Ben » November 24th, 2010, 5:31 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

2010 Annie nominations

Post by James » December 6th, 2010, 10:44 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » December 6th, 2010, 11:15 am

Looks like Disney pulling out hurt them from getting more nominations. Tangled and Toy Story 3 could have easily gotten in for Character Design, Character Animation, Voice Acting, Music and Production Design, had they not.

Oh, well. Toy Story 3 will still take home the Oscar and Tangled will still get nominated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: 2010 Annie nominations

Post by PatrickvD » December 6th, 2010, 3:03 pm

well there goes any credibility the Annies had.

DWA: 39
Pixar: 4
Disney: 3

What a joke. especially because everyone with... well eyes, could see that Tangled and Toy Story 3 are the best to come out of their respective studios yet.

I'm now rooting for The Illusionist.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 6th, 2010, 3:29 pm

Um...Disney WITHDREW from the Annies. That's the only reason that this happened.

Quite frankly, I'm not even sure if they deserve those nominations, given the questionable grounds on which they withdrew on.
Last edited by Dacey on December 6th, 2010, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 6th, 2010, 3:34 pm

The whole "only registered professionals may vote" policy instituted in the wake of the Disney pull-out left a bad taste in my mouth. :?

ASIFA is not a 'professional' organization; it is an animation appreciation society. Anyone can join. IMO, every member should be allowed to vote in its annual award ceremony.

Despite the fact that I fully qualify to register with ASIFA as a 'professional' member, I didn't submit any nominees this year .. and I don't plan to vote. I'm letting my ASIFA membership expire. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 6th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Dacey wrote:Um...Disney WITHDREW from the Annies. That's the only reason that this happened.

Quite frankly, I'm not even sure if they deserve those nomination, given the questionable grounds on which they withdrew on.
They totally had grounds to walk. In fact those numbers are not too far off what DreamWorks had when Disney was still on board, which is exactly why they left.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Locall » December 6th, 2010, 5:48 pm

It's obvious, the annie's are a complete joke, lol!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 9th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I hate most award ceremonies...

They just devolve into petty squabbling and internal political conflict.

Even the best ones are basically a personality contest when you get down to it. It's somebody's perceptions and they pick (with usual screwy logic precision)" the best for the year."

I say "Phooey!" (If this had been closer to X-Mas, I would have said, "Humbug!")

They're the most boring things to watch on TV, too, or in real life. Paint drying is almost more interesting! Watching a dog or cat chase their tail is infinitely more entertaining!

Human beings should be better than this but our bad (and good) behavior's pretty much set by high school and it's all downhill for most of us after that!

Let's face it -- animators are near the bottom rung if NOT below a lot of janitors and secretaries in appreciation in show biz... This despite the Union (LOL) and a bunch of caring executives named Jeff, Mike, and Steve (double-LOL at the thought that billionaires consider their employees to be on their level)!

I have witnessed a lot of petty squabbling over the years in the animation industry, and unfortunately I wasted a few months of my life getting caught up in this crap online, too... What I have heard from people in the industry -- one which I would NEVER join from the drawing pencil end -- is that there a lot of dissatisfied, unhappy, and emotionally immature (as well as disturbed) people working in the industry. There's a hell of a lot of backstabbing and self-promotion, no doubt, but then again there are people who NEVER stand up for themselves and take risks and bellyache because other people around them do!

Sure, some of the top people are extremely arrogant but there are surprisingly also people who are very humble in spite of their demonstrable talent. (I've often found the reverse to be true -- most truly mediocre people are extremely arrogant in spite of the fact everybody else knows they have no real talent.)

What are the points of this post? A) Any time you get two people in a room who have conflicting ideas there's always going to be some sparks. Somebody says or does something really hurtful and stupid. We sure have seen online animation blogs that specialize in this! Even married couples almost always are nicer to their pets than they are to their spouses on a regular day...

B) Don't do your job expecting online praise or some stupid award ceremony to make you feel good about yourself. Hopefully, you have your own confidence, a good sense of self-worth, and friends and family to lift you up.
What a bunch of strangers say at an award ceremony or online shouldn't matter one bit to you...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 15th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Can you guys double check me that there are only nine songs in the running from animated films in the Best Song nominations category? Thanks!
"Alice" from "Alice in Wonderland"
"Forever One Love" from "Black Tulip"
"Freedom Song" from "Black Tulip"
"Bound to You" from "Burlesque"
"Welcome to Burlesque" from "Burlesque"
"You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me" from "Burlesque"
"There’s a Place for Us" from "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"
"Coming Home" from "Country Strong"
"Me and Tennessee" from "Country Strong"
X "Despicable Me" from "Despicable Me"
X "Prettiest Girls" from "Despicable Me"
"Dear Laughing Doubters" from "Dinner for Schmucks"
"Better Days" from "Eat Pray Love"
"If You Run" from "Going the Distance"
"Darkness before the Dawn" from "Holy Rollers"
X "Sticks & Stones" from "How to Train Your Dragon"
X "Le Gris" from "Idiots and Angels"
X "Chanson Illusionist" from "The Illusionist"
"Never Say Never" from "The Karate Kid"
X "To the Sky" from "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole"
"What If" from "Letters to Juliet"
"Life during Wartime" from "Life during Wartime"
"Made in Dagenham" from "Made in Dagenham"
"Little One" from "Mother and Child"
"Be the One" from "The Next Three Days"
"If I Rise" from "127 Hours"
"When You See Forever" from "The Perfect Game"
"I Remain" from "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time"
"Dream Big" from "Pure Country 2: The Gift"
"How I Love You" from "Ramona and Beezus"
X "Darling I Do" from "Shrek Forever After"
"Noka Oi" from "Six Days in Paradise"
"This Is a Low" from "Tamara Drewe"
X "I See the Light" from "Tangled"
"Rise" from "3 Billion and Counting"
X "We Belong Together" from "Toy Story 3"
"Eclipse: All Yours" from "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse"
"Nothing" from "Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too"
"A Better Life" from "Unbeaten"
"Shine" from "Waiting for ‘Superman’"
"The Reasons Why" from "Wretches & Jabberers"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2010, 3:13 pm

I make it nine too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 15th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I was in a hurry when I posted that so just wanted to make sure. Of course I also meant to post this in the private forum!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Cat's out of the bag now! You could always go back and delete these last few posts. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 15th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Y'know, I was ready to put my money on TS3 for Picture, right up to very minute and second that I saw....Time giving Man of the Year to Mark Zuckerberg.
Hoooo-boy. :|

I'm not saying there's some kind of cause-and-effect, more that it's just the Early Warning Sign (just as we should have seen Hurt Locker winning last year after all the critics' decline-of-civilization columns last year about "Why didn't you see Hurt Locker instead of Transformers 2"?)
Normally, since Social was centered around a performance, I was ready to put my money on the voters patting the movie off with Jesse Eisenberg and Screenplay...But no, never underestimate the fascination that Really Old People have for showing how "net-literate" they are for talking about how much "Facebook is changing society". (Meaning, it's one of the few websites they know how to visit.)

...Is ANYTHING going to bury the whole Pixar For Picture war once and for all, and get it out of the room?--Are we going to have those stupid "Let's change the rules again, so Pixar can win!" campaigns every year till kingdom come?
I seriously doubt it's going to be Cars 2 next year, and I may be crossing my fingers too tightly for "Brave". Just seemed like the whole point was "avenging" TS2, and TS3 seemed the most symbolic way of doing it.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Oscars 2010

Post by Dacey » December 15th, 2010, 6:18 pm

I've never once expected TS3 to be a frontrunner for Best Picture. As I've said before, it's a little idiotic for Disney to be pushing for it the way that they have.

Besides, it shouldn't win Best Picture. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but I'm not ready to declare it the best movie of the year.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."