Re: Oscars 2010

Post by Whippet Angel » January 31st, 2011, 4:54 pm

No Oscar contest this year?

I'm terrible at it, but I always look forward to guessing anyway. :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2011, 5:23 pm

Bad box office killed any chances that the owls had at the Oscars, AD.

And it was only going to have a shot at all if there were five nominations this year, which sadly there weren't (I hate you, Yogi Bear).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 31st, 2011, 7:42 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:No Oscar contest this year?

I'm terrible at it, but I always look forward to guessing anyway. :P
James normally sets that up, and he's just getting back into the swing of things right now after some medical stuff. We'll see what we can do.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 31st, 2011, 8:38 pm

Just got back online today but will try to get something set up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Czarine » February 1st, 2011, 11:12 am

I definitely thought Legend of the Guardians would take some nominations... At least for best song or best animated feature.

When it comes to Best Score I'm rooting for How To Train Your Dragon and when it comes to nominees for Best Picture, I'd say Inception. Toy Story 3 was great, but it's not Best Picture material.

Day and Night is definitely worthy of an Oscar for Best Animated Short.

When it comes to Best Animated Feature I'm definitely going for How To Train Your Dragon. Don't get me wrong, I loved Toy Story 3, but How To Train Your Dragon had really lifted me from my seat, in a figure of speech... I really hope they'll get it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » February 2nd, 2011, 3:01 pm

Toy Story 3 for Best Picture.....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!??!!?!?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 2nd, 2011, 3:24 pm

Shrek Forever After was robbed for Oscar noms.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Czarine » February 3rd, 2011, 3:53 am

Perhaps because, according to the Academy, it doesn't deserve any. In my opinion they're right about that, but yeah... That's just my opinion. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 3rd, 2011, 4:33 am

Well -- I personally enjoyed Shrek: Forever After more than the first Shrek movie .. and that film won the first Academy Award for Best Animated Feature -- so, I wouldn't say S:FA was 'undeserving'.

With that said, How To Train Your Dragon was (also just IMO) the best of the three animated features that DreamWorks released last year .. so, I'm glad it made the cut, at least.

S:FA might have had a shot (maybe..), if there had been five nominees.

But -- even though I very much enjoyed all three of the films nominated for Best Animated Feature -- I do think that Tangled was a stronger and more solidly-entertaining movie, overall, than any of them.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 3rd, 2011, 5:11 pm

The biggest compliment that I can give SFA is that it kept the franchise from ending on the low note that "Shrek the Third" ended on. Having recently watched both movies on the same evening, it's easy to see that "Forever After" is a MUCH better film in every aspect.

To be fair, "Blech the Third" does have it's share of laughs, but it's really lazy storytelling, especially since the plot seems to change its mind in the last act and not make Shrek king or reveal that Charming was Artie's father (I mean, they look so much alike, it seems highly unlikely that they weren't originally intended to be related). Plus it has virtually no story, handles what should be emotional moments in cheap ways, makes Charming into a "villain" when he was never really one in "Shrek 2"...do I need to continue? ;)

"Forever After" can't quite be considered "great," though, due to a large number of plot holes that are there if you look for them. Having said that, I really do like the film. I just don't consider it Oscar material, even if there had been five nominations this year (in which case "Tangled" obviously would've gotten one of them, with the other either going to "Megamind" or "Despicable Me").
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 4th, 2011, 2:57 am

Dreck The Turd. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Czarine » February 4th, 2011, 4:21 am

Dacey wrote:The biggest compliment that I can give SFA is that it kept the franchise from ending on the low note that "Shrek the Third" ended on. Having recently watched both movies on the same evening, it's easy to see that "Forever After" is a MUCH better film in every aspect.

To be fair, "Blech the Third" does have it's share of laughs, but it's really lazy storytelling, especially since the plot seems to change its mind in the last act and not make Shrek king or reveal that Charming was Artie's father (I mean, they look so much alike, it seems highly unlikely that they weren't originally intended to be related). Plus it has virtually no story, handles what should be emotional moments in cheap ways, makes Charming into a "villain" when he was never really one in "Shrek 2"...do I need to continue? ;)

"Forever After" can't quite be considered "great," though, due to a large number of plot holes that are there if you look for them. Having said that, I really do like the film. I just don't consider it Oscar material, even if there had been five nominations this year (in which case "Tangled" obviously would've gotten one of them, with the other either going to "Megamind" or "Despicable Me").
That's pretty much how I feel about it. The movie isn't even that bad, but there have been more great animated features that would've deserved a nom over S:FA in my opinion (if there would have been 5 noms). For example: Legend of the Guardians and indeed Tangled or Despicable Me.

@Ben: You said it. :P

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 4th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Sucha shame Nuumioq did not make it to the Oscars.

http://www.information.dk/218980

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 15th, 2011, 6:09 am

They've just changed the Animated Feature rules again (and the number of nominees in Best Picture has also been changed somewhat):

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleas ... 0614a.html
In the animated feature film category, the need for the Board to vote to “activate” the category each year was eliminated, though a minimum number of eligible releases – eight – is still required for a competitive category. Additionally, the short films and feature animation branch recommended, and the Board approved, refinements to the number of possible nominees in the Animated Feature category. In any year in which eight to 12 animated features are released, either two or three of them may be nominated. When 13 to 15 films are released, a maximum of four may be nominated, and when 16 or more animated features are released, a maximum of five may be nominated.
I support this decision. The quality has gone up so much in animated features lately, it's disappointing when something really great like Tangled misses out, because there was one less eligible film and it's such a strong year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 15th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Eight this year, and then....maybe five next year?
Don't want to admit a mistake all at once, you know.

(Even though they'd kind of forgotten why they were still doing ten last year, they couldn't get rid of it if it meant there was a chance TS3 would be in the running...
But with Cars2 this year, even the adult Pixar-validating members looked at each other and said..."WHY are we still doing this?--What are we hoping will happen?"
Guess they figured the "stigma" had finally been broken and Brave could make a five-nomination cut on its own the next year without embarrassment.)

The main problem with the wimpy nominations is still the rushed schedule that doesn't give them time to think of any movies besides those everyone else already talks about.
The problem's not so much about Keeping Miramax Out anymore (now that there isn't an obnoxiously greedy Miramax to guard the gate against), now it's more a problem of "How the heck did Inception get in there anyway?--Something's WRONG!"