Oscars 2010

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 21st, 2010, 3:26 pm

Estefan, I would seriously look at that list and, out of the titles you mentioned, I would suggest that only TS3, Shutter Island and The Town would be worthy of a Best Picture nod (and only then a nomination, they aren't the classic Best Pictures of the eras I noted).

I haven't seen Social Network, Fighter or Black Swan, so can't comment, but don't make me laugh suggesting that Inception (didn't do anything with its clever concept), Harry Potter And The Hollow Camping Trip, or the other animated titles are on the level of the box office/critical hits of the 70s.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » December 21st, 2010, 3:57 pm

I haven't seen Harry Potter and The Town (or gotten around yet to The Fighter and Black Swan), but I was mainly using them as examples of films that were both critically acclaimed and box-office successes.

My main case was simply that plenty still do exist in this day and age.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 21st, 2010, 6:22 pm

And getting back to your earlier question, what we miss is the ability for a movie like Babe, or Driving Miss Daisy, TO get nominated anymore.
The individuality's been drained out of the Academy, and there's less and less chance for the voters to personally rally for a "populist" favorite to get a little respect out of nowhere anymore, unless the GG's stank it up first.
(Or at least it's all been completely sublimated into their Operation:Pixar preoccupation, which looks like it still won't get results after seven years.)

I still say Blame the Weinsteins: We blamed them for the Miramax Bribes, and now we can blame them for not having anything else. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2011, 9:22 am

NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED:

Toy Story 3 is indeed in the Best Picture race, though I don't believe it would have made it without the opening up to ten spots.

Also in there is Inception, though again I don't think it would have made it with only five Best Picture noms, particularly as writer-director Chris Nolan has interestingly not made it into the Best Director category.

More here: http://animatedviews.com/2011/oscars-20 ... t-picture/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 25th, 2011, 9:38 am

You wrote in the headline that Toy Story 3 is the second animated film to be nominated for best picture. Isn't it the third?

Tron: Legacy not getting into visual effects was the biggest surprise for me. I thought that and Inception were the shoe-ins for that category.

Also, no Tangled in animated feature. Obviously, it had its supporters with the song nomination and all, which makes it all the more surprising.

But, I will call it even, since Burlesque got nothing, leading to a (maybe) easy victory for Alan Menken. Though, I wouldn’t count out Newman, if the Academy wants to give a second award to Toy Story 3.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Oscars 2010

Post by Dacey » January 25th, 2011, 9:51 am

"Tangled" never got the campaigning that TS3 got from Disney, which is the main reason it got snubbed, I think.

Also...how the heck was "Tron" not nominated for visual effects? I thought it had that one in the bag!

Happy that "Dragon" got nominated for its breathtaking score, though.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 25th, 2011, 10:09 am

I don't know why they even bother putting an animated movie in the running for best picture, as if it would ever win. Especially up against The Social Network, which everyone is freaking out about how amaaaazing it is. Bleh

I fully believe that they would NEVER have an animated movie win best picture.

Likewise, I don't expect HTTYD to win best score, even though I'd like to see Powell win, because I LOVE his work. Is this the first time he's ever been nominated for an oscar?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » January 25th, 2011, 10:33 am

Sad to see Tangled omitted, but glad to see the Illusionist! If the spot was taken by Despicable Me I would have been miffed.

Inception and Scott Pilgrim both should have been nominated for editing, the former for the incredible time compression, the latter for all those amazing scene transitions:( Instead we get stuff like the traditional yet generic King's Speech and the typically spazzy 127 hours, blah!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2011, 10:55 am

Toy Story 3 for Best Picture, the second animated nom after Beauty And The Beast and...ahhhh! Up! Thanks...fixed.

Tron's no visual nom...one word: Clu.

BAF "third" place: nice to see independent, hand drawn animation keeping in there. :)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 25th, 2011, 11:46 am

Dogtooth looks very interesting. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by estefan » January 25th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Ben wrote: Tron's no visual nom...one word: Clu.
He's a computer programme. Naturally, he's going to look that way.

But, the light-cycles were amazing enough that it should have gotten in visual effects. The whole film was about the visuals. Inception will likely win, which would be the first time a film using mainly practical non-CGI effects wins Best Visual Effects, since...(looking up on Wikipedia)...Titanic?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 25th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I'm very glad that Dragon got a nom. Naturally, Toy Story 3 will win, given their Best Picture nom, but at least Dragon and Illusionist can now get a little marketing help--- mostly Illusionist, as it's still in theatres. I haven't seen The Illusionist yet, but Dragon was amazing.

Maybe I'm alone here, but... Given that the BAF category does exist (and the merits of its existence have been debated before), I don't like an animated film being up for Best picture. It makes the BAF race kinda meaningless. Sure, voters don't have to vote for Toy Story 3 as BAF, but they're now almost pressured to do so.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 25th, 2011, 10:23 pm

As a whole I think this year's nom are the most accesible to the mainstream public. It wouldn't surprise me if the telecast saw a jump in the ratings - nothing stellar but I think more people will tune in just because more successful movies have hit the nominations.

And if we take the tactic that in the past when only 5 films got noms for Best Picture usualy that meant Best Director noms went to the directors of those films (but with usually one missing). If you look at the Best Directors, they go to Directors of 5 films that have shown their worth at the box office or are currently succeeding at the box office with good word of mouth amongst the public.

It appears after years of disconnect between populist films and critic loved films, Hollywood has returned to make good quality populist films.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Re:

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2011, 2:53 pm

estefan wrote:He's a computer programme. Naturally, he's going to look that way.
That's the reasoning I was almost happy for the film to get away with.

Except...young Flynn wasn't a computer program. ;)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 31st, 2011, 1:57 pm

I thought that Legends of the Guardians would get some noms.