Oscars 2010

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Oscars 2010

Post by Dacey » June 20th, 2011, 12:10 am

2009: Nominations increased to ten, to "Allow more mainstream hits to compete" (And bet you can't guess what "mainstream hit" they had in mind...)
Dark Knight? Gran Torino? Doubt? Revolutionary Road?

There were quite a few "contenders" that didn't get the BP nod in 08, Eric. It wasn't just "Wall-E" (which I honestly don't even remember really being considered for the Oscar). :)

Also, all post '04 nominations "boring"? Who on earth found "The Departed" boring? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 20th, 2011, 12:15 am

Uh, the people who said Scorsese "should" have won for any of his previous classics, and that Departed was only getting it because he "should get it for something by now"?

(There was a joke at the time, that we were all dreading being buried under the insufferably quirky artificial-marshmallow sludge of "Little Miss Sunshine" that year, but when Jack Nicholson read The Departed for Best Picture, "How do we know that was what was really on the envelope?" 8)
Knowing the Academy that year....I have my 1% of doubt. Seriously. :wink: )

And maybe not ALL post-04, but....doesn't Crash vs. Brokeback just kinda stick in your mind as a historical dividing date?
Dacey wrote:There were quite a few "contenders" that didn't get the BP nod in 08, Eric. It wasn't just "Wall-E" (which I honestly don't even remember really being considered for the Oscar). :))
...YOU don't? I remember rather the hue and cry that it had been "snubbed" or "shut out" of five nominations.
(More so than Dark Knight ever got, as all but the diehard fanboys were happily satisfied that Dead Heath got his due, but Wall-E going home with "only" the trivial little Animated it was expected to was seen as an "injustice".)

Oh, and the ten nominations came the very next year.
Last edited by EricJ on June 20th, 2011, 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 20th, 2011, 1:25 am

And maybe not ALL post-04, but....doesn't Crash vs. Brokeback just kinda stick in your mind as a historical dividing date?
Meh... It's been difficult for me to take the Oscars seriously ever since Crash was awarded Best Picture. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 20th, 2011, 5:17 am

Call me naive, but that was the moment when I realised that campaigning was more important than the movie. Yes Shakespeare In Love's Best Win did not make me think that - or maybe it did and Crash's win confirmed it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 20th, 2011, 11:49 am

I love this talk of a "committee". Eric, the Academy is made up of various different groups. The actors vote for the actors, the editors vote for the editors, the animators vote for the animators, etc. Everybody votes for Best Picture. But the process is pretty set in place so that other bodies can't vote for things that they technically "don't know about". A film will earn a nomination - and then a win - not by some pre-meditated decision by a group of old curmudgeonly "committee" members, but because the majority of a wide range of industry professionals actually nominated them. It's random, and whoever gets the votes wins...it's not down to five guys named Moe who sit and talk it over!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 20th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Ben you are right and wrong. The nomination process is as you described. Only Actors vote for acting nominationes, only Editors vote for editing nominations and everybody votes for Best Picture nomination.

When it comes to determining who actually wins. Everybody votes for every category. eg Editors can vote for actors and actors can vote for editing. There is one clause where in order to vote for Foreign Picture and Documentary and Shorts you have to sign an affadavit orsomething to say you have seen all the nominee.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2011, 7:44 am

Sorry, Bill, I should have clarified I was talking about the initial nominations up until the "a film will earn a nomination" bit. After that I wasn't clear that everyone votes on those nominations, but the basic point was that the Oscars are voted on by many people and they're not discussed and decided upon in a secret room over coffee by a "committee".

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » June 21st, 2011, 8:09 am

I thought the decision was made by a committe drinking skinny decaf lattes ;-p

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2011, 8:17 am

Knowing LA, you're probably right!