Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2006, 8:57 pm

You're kidding right?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » March 7th, 2006, 9:20 pm

bambifan56 wrote:Um....nobody on this one eh? Nobody owns the laserdisc?
sorry for my slow capting but i hadnot read the forum...
Nope i havent had laser disc in my whole life... and i havenot seen the 88´
trailer in the DVD
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bambi: The Story and the Film

Post by bambifan56 » March 9th, 2006, 12:10 pm

This book by Ollie Johnson and Frank Thomas is quite rare now-a-days, I recently got a copy off of eBay and was blown away. Even though Bambi is my favorite film of all time, this let me enjoy it even more, really realizing what struggles the film and studio went through, how long it took to make (7 years!!) and how it came to become not only Walts favorite film, but Frank and Ollie's too. The film portion goes over the draft of the film they used and has sketches and pictures throughout, but, the film is the part that stunned me, everything anyone would ever wish to know about Bambi. Now, me being the fan of Bambi I am, the book truely is great, but even those who just enjoy animation and wish to see the truely hard work that Disney and his crew put in back then (and it sure did show didn't it?) just makes you appreciate this classic even more. An AMAZING book and a must for any fan of Bambi, or animation in general.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » March 10th, 2006, 3:04 pm

You should read the book by felix salten, is just great and it says somethings and characters that do not apear such as karus, the friend of ronno or gobo, bambis cousin
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bambifan56 » March 10th, 2006, 8:34 pm

I have read Bambi and Bambi's Children..Both are terrific..Bambi actually happens to be my favorite novel as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » March 11th, 2006, 9:06 pm

yep i loved both of them but the interesting isthat bambis children, and even the original movie, makes the original book to look to dark and cold in some scenes... but i still like the 4 things... the 2 books and the 2 movies.. jejejeje what to say... were true fans!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bambifan56 » March 11th, 2006, 10:09 pm

yea there's something about being a Bambi fan that feels like a Star Wars nerd to me, haha..It's good kind of nerd though haha..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » March 12th, 2006, 8:53 pm

whatever pal jejejeje

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cmoon » August 26th, 2007, 9:50 am

I've been avoiding this because I know I won't be able to judge it fairly. Sometimes the first works for me and other times I can feel the boredom creeping up, but as an animated visual accomplishment, Bambi is certainly one of the greatest (I always think of it as the citizen kane of animation).

Well I suppose I need to get around to seeing this at some point, but I hate going into a film knowing I won't be able to judge it without prejudices...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 26th, 2007, 10:09 am

It's basically spending more time with Bambi, but updated for a 2007 audience.

Like so many of the straight to DVD flicks based on the older movies, the two movies don't "click" together like sequels should.
I know its expected but the visual leap from cell to digital never works for me. (or Vice Versa, like the Aladdin & Hunchback sequels)
Neither does the updated score, VFX and (especially) updated character personalities.

It's like Cinderella III, a movie I liked but still couldn't connect emotionally to the first one.
simply because times have changed and you can't present the audience with a movie that looks and feels like it was made in the 50's as well.
I would find it fantastic, but I think it wouldn't sell to the general audience.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2007, 11:50 am

As I said in my review, though, I think Bambi II is the closest the artists got to replicating the Walt-era ethos in tone and spirit. There was a wonderfully natural sense of innocence in Bambi II which <I>wasn't</I> tinged with the fingerprints of 2005/06 all over them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 27th, 2007, 2:01 am

I just watched Bambi II the other day, for like, the 30th time. Seriously, its one of my favorite Disney sequels ever! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by thatshot » November 26th, 2007, 12:34 pm

i agree.. this is one of the betta Disney sequels around..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by REINIER » March 16th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Altough it leaves much to be desired I too can express
good things in terms of animation quality.

Probably since Andreas Deja (scar,jafar) worked so closely on the new design of bambi.
Can't help but wonder why he would choose to animate that character and let his own work (jafar, triton) be slashed, cut up and served cold.
He must love Disney very much!

In terms of story Bambi 2 is not top notch, as with many sequels there is a gap that is not easily filled.
In this case, the movie could hardly live up to it's expectations.

I was lucky enough to see it in cinema, and that experience showed me that this movie just doesn't work on the big screen.
On telly however it was an entirely different thing!

It's good that TLM3 will mark the end of the feature-sequels.
Altough Tinkerbell isn't a movie I once wished upon a star

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 1st, 2008, 12:20 pm

Okay, so I have the platinum edition but now I'm worried it's bootleg or something.

I've noticed my two local Walgreen's had several harder-to-find (in the vault) Disney DVDs. These included Pooh's Heffalump Movie, Lady and the Tramp: SE, Cinderella III, etc. I hadn't ever seen these anywhere else. They were all roughly $13.00. They were shrink wrapped.

Well, I take Bambi home and the first thing I notice is the inserts are all gone. The DVD looks new and unused, so it can't have been second-hand.

As supposed to a swinging, latched disk holder, it just has a holder on each side of the case.

Hmm...

Well, no matter. The DVD's cover looks the same as the other PE's I've seen, except for a yellow dot on it that says "version francaise incluse".

So now I'm guessing I got the Canadian version, not bootleg.

Well, if the DVD played I wasn't going to worry about it. Well the DVD did play...until the scene where Bambi, Thumper and Flower meet up after winter. It stopped playing in my portable and no amount of rewind, fast forward, skipping to next scene or powering down/up worked.

I tried it in my regular DVD player and it told me it 'couldn't read the disc'.

What's going on and did anyone else experience these isses?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet