Bambi: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

What do you mean you've seen it?

Post by Inkan1969 » February 23rd, 2005, 11:23 am

scrantov wrote:Look, I've seen a copy of this already. Let's just say I live in Burbank. It's garbage from top to bottom.
What do you mean you've seen it? It's not supposed to come out until mid 2006, are you saying it's already been finished?

You'd have a lot more credibility if you had some substantial criticisms of the movie. But so far you've done nothing but throw insults at it. You don't sound convincing, you sound like a raving loon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 23rd, 2005, 12:30 pm

The animation in Bambi 2 is almost as good as those two.
uh... Bambi 2 looks lightyears better than those two...Cinderella 2 and Hunchback 2 are the absolute worst of all DTV's. As crappy as the story could be the animation looks lots better. Are you sure you've seen bambi 2? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 23rd, 2005, 12:43 pm

Well, he does live in Burbank.
Last edited by Christian on February 23rd, 2005, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 23rd, 2005, 12:51 pm

Christian wrote:Well, he does live in Burbank.
Does this mean you get to see all upcoming Disney films? :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 23rd, 2005, 1:22 pm

It's a well-known fact that everyone who lives in Burbank gets to see every Disney film a year before it is released.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 23rd, 2005, 1:34 pm

He didn't say he'd seen the film, he said "I've seen a copy of this already". Since this thread was about pictures from Bambi 2, I took that to mean he's seen the pictures from Bambi 2 before. If he meant something else I'm sure he'll clear it up, so let's not jump on the guy because you may have misunderstood him.

And now, in case he is a she...

She didn't say she'd seen the film, she said "I've seen a copy of this already". Since this thread was about pictures from Bambi 2, I took that to mean she's seen the pictures from Bambi 2 before. If she meant something else I'm sure she'll clear it up, so let's not jump on the gal because you may have misunderstood her.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

tackless scrantov

Post by Inkan1969 » February 23rd, 2005, 1:43 pm

Scrantov referred to the animation quality and used phrases like "top to bottom". I got the impression that he was referring to the whole film, not just stills of a trailer. I don't think that was an unreasonable impression.

We wouldn't be jumping on the guy/girl if scrantov wasn't jumping already. Most of scrantov's post was screaming and loaded words. It might be that "Bambi 2" does turn out terrible. We'll see when we get access to it. But scrantov only provides slams without backing, and we can't tell for ourselves if he's right or not since we can't see the film yet. And his phrase "But really, who cares about the animation? People don't watch these films JUST because they're animated (how boring)" is very strange. Why would someone who's an animation fan and who presumbably cares about the animation classics say no one cares about the animation? :?: It doesn't make any sense. I wonder if scrantov is not some nutcase trying to pass himself off as an insider.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jens » February 23rd, 2005, 5:09 pm

I don't think anyone has the right to say this will be a bad movie or a good one... You can have an opinion about something, but I think it has to be a constructive opinion and to be constructive you can't base yourself on a trailer (or these stills). They only gave us an impression of the movie. I really doubt that this will be as bad as Cinderella 2 or Hunchback 2. Like PatrickvD said, those 2 sequels are seen as the 2 worst sequels from the DisneyToon Studios. From what I have heard on several forums, this movie is really shaping up and will be one of DisneyToon Studio's better DTV's. I don't see how everyone is being so negative about this one...
[url=http://www.disneydatabase.com]The Disney Database[/url] - All the Disney Magic in 1 site!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 23rd, 2005, 5:28 pm

I agree. Whether we like it or not, Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest is coming. We might as well hope for the best. If it is released and turns out to be horrible, then we can complain to Disney. I don't think that they will take our opinions very seriously if we haven't even seen a full scene from the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

JUST A QUICK NOTE

Post by JustinWilliams » February 26th, 2005, 7:57 am

JUST A QUICK NOTE TO SAY I'M TAKING THESE PICTURES OFFLINE TOMORROW. SORRY IF THAT'S A PROBLEM TO ANYONE. THANKS. Justin x :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Bambi: Platinum Edition

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2005, 3:26 am

Well, I just got through typing up my rather in-depth BAMBI review for DVD Toons:
http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/384

Yes, it feels a little lightweight.

Yes, there's more they could have squashed in.

BUT... the Story Meetings version of the film on disc one really is pure magic, extensively and wonderfully reconstructed. The lightest of the Platinums so far comes with the best Disney DVD feature so far!

It's out today...and fully recommended! Your thoughts?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 2nd, 2005, 2:15 am

I still remember going to see it when I was five. My mom took me and her friend came along and brought her son who was my age. But it was different than just a normal outing to the movies. It was more like they had agreed between themselves, "Okay, it's time these boys learn some more lessons about life and maybe the best way to do it is for them to see Bambi." And thirty years later I still remember my mom explaining everything as it happened and in some cases right before it happened. "See? The rain starts, then it gets stormy and scary, but then after a while everything gets better again." It was really and truly a rite of passage.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 2nd, 2005, 2:32 am

If I get the Bambi DVD within the next month, I'll tell you what I think of the presentation. It was a pretty light week for new movie releases (nothing much good other than Bambi) so I got the Warners Gangster Collection (FINALLY!).

There's no question this film is a classic. Even a faded, worn print of this film is better than 98% of the sludge that they call films today and better than at least 95% of the animated films released in the past 60 years. It's probably still the best anthromorphic animated film ever made -- much better than The Lion King in my opinion -- but still not my Disney favorite. That honor goes to Pinocchio.

Fleischer Studios should have been so lucky to have released a film as good as Bambi but DIDN'T and Fleischer's features are pretty much forgotten today...

Don't even get me started on DreamWorks' fluff...

Warners has NEVER released a film with the warmth of Bambi or the pathos -- -and frankly, I think The Iron Giant is overrated, too...

Excepting for Finding Nemo, I think most of Pixar's films hold up emotionally well even if I also think the formula is wearing thin...

The Hayao Miyazaki films have their emotional moments, too, but the animation generally is nowhere near as good as Disney's best or even recycled scraps...

Excepting a few fleeting moments in Disney films of the past 16 years, NONE of the newer Disney features really hold a candle to Bambi...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 2nd, 2005, 2:56 am

Well, I still really like The Lion King. There's room in my heart for both and no need to pit them against each other. Bambi to me exists in its own separate realm, its own little bubble that defies conventional criticism or analysis. I'd make other comments in agreement with other things you said but don't want to derail the thread.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 3rd, 2005, 2:53 pm

For people that want even more information on Bambi's making, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston DID author a book on that film.

It's the only book they ever wrote that went into detail on one single film.

The book itself is not hard to find, but it's rarely sold at cover price and bundled with the flipbook it was originally shrinkwrapped with. Most of the flipbooks have been separated and lost from the main book over the years.

I myself found a copy of this book through an online search. A university textbook store had a copy STILL IN SHRINKWRAP with the flipbook and I got it for cover price about 10 years after the book was printed!

While my copy is in excellent condition, it DOES have an imprint of the flipbook on the book cover! LOL

The book will probably never go back into print, but it's definitely worth a look at if you can find it in your library system.