Bambi: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bambi DVD - cover art and extras

Post by JustinWilliams » November 26th, 2004, 6:33 pm

Disney have made slight changes to make the characters on the DVD more in keeping with model ref. sheets. Additionally, the grouping and small details have been 'fixed'. Hmm...Still not the greatest fan. Here are the two for your consideration. The first was the original release of the cover art. :D

http://www.justinwilliams.co.uk/bambi.jpg

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

New BAMBI DVD Trailer - plus peak at features

Post by JustinWilliams » November 27th, 2004, 4:48 am

There is now a new DVD trailer, different to the trailer released on recent DVDs, showing footage of the games, deleted scenes and more from this exciting new release here :

http://disneyvideos.disney.go.com/track ... al+Edition

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 27th, 2004, 12:54 pm

The drawing aside, I don't know who ever thought it was a good idea to place the logo right in the middle of the image. It can work with some design concepts, when the picture is naturally divided anyways, but looks awkward when the picture is more unified like this one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2004, 1:02 pm

Cover art looks much better, but I still prefer the alternate versions that were going around (with the Bambi lettering a lot more how we remember it, and encased in a couple of interlocking "tree branches").

The trailer took ages to download, and I had some trouble with it for some reason, but the extras look pretty good.

Who'd they get to record Walt's lines for the story notes? Sounds just like him - amazing!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

R2 DVD Cover's much nicer...

Post by JustinWilliams » November 27th, 2004, 3:53 pm

Whilst I agree it's not as nice as some going around by creative graphic design enthusiasts, the R2 DVD cover for Bambi is much nicer than the region 1 version

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2004, 4:18 pm

Was just about to post that!

That's the one I was meaning in my comment above, though I got the "tree branches" a little wrong!

Rand...one of my pet peeves about the Platinum line is how they've adopted this "title in a big (usually black) block in the middle of the image" thing.

I agree that it breaks up the image, and doesn't evoke much warmth for the content it is packaging.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » November 27th, 2004, 7:35 pm

Actually, the only other Platinum release (to date) to have it in a big box was the lion king. Here are past releases:
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast
Snow White
The Lion King
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » November 27th, 2004, 7:43 pm

I think you are thinking of the Special Editions (as more of them have the box-y logos)
Non-Platinum Special Editions:
Peter Pan
Sleeping Beauty
Mulan
Brother Bear
Oliver & Co.
Fantasia
B&tB: Enchanted Xmas
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 28th, 2004, 4:20 pm

I actually made a point of not saying "box", since I knew that would be taken the wrong way.

I said "block" (which could be any shape). :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bambi DVD - more details on the bonus footage

Post by JustinWilliams » December 13th, 2004, 3:22 am

I've just been given more detail on the bonus features on the 2 DVD Bambi set:

Disc 1:
Inside Walt's Story Meetings: watch the film alongside script notes and meetings with Walt and the animation team as they plan out the final picture!

Disc 2:
Deleted scenes: Winter Grass and Bambi's First Snow

DisneyPedia -Bambi's Forest Friends - Learn all about deer and other woodland animals in this fun and educational look at how the real life animals compare to their animated friends

The Making Of Bambi - A Prince is Born: a featurette broken down into six different sections all about the making of the film

The Legacy continues: the legacy of Bambi is continued in a brand new adventure. Return to the forest in this sneak peek of Bambi II!

Restoring Bambi: A behind the scenes look at how the film was restored

Art Gallery: stills and images from art to animation in this Disney classic

Tricks Of The Trade: a behind the scenes look at the animation tricks of the trade, filmed in 1957 and hosted by Walt Disney

The Old Mill: an animated short from 1937 that has been cited as one of the influences for the Bambi artists

Disney Time Capsule: a journey back to 1942 to see what the world and the Walt Disney Studio was then like

Disney Storytime - Thumper Goes Exploring: join Thumper in a brand new interactive story starring all his woodland friends. Have the story read to you or read it at your own pace

What's Your Season? Are you as cold as winter or as warm as the summer fun? Simply by answering a few questions you can work out which of Mother Nature's traits you most possess

Set Top Screensaver: create the sights and sounds of the forest in your own home with a set top screensaver - complete with changing seasons

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 13th, 2004, 4:00 am

Sounds like this has the potential be one of the best 2-disc releases Disney has done!

Hopefully they don't screw the extras up by pandering too much to the kiddie set that will see this film... unless their moms think they can't handle the concept of "animated" death.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hennie » December 13th, 2004, 1:20 pm

Still hoping on a giftset like The Lion King and Aladdin though.
[url=http://www.disneyinfo.nl/forum/profiler.php?uid=2]My Disney Collectie[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2004, 1:33 pm

GeorgeC wrote:Sounds like this has the potential be one of the best 2-disc releases Disney has done!
Strange...

I was just thinking what a load of padding this seems to contain.

Granted, the story meetings sound cool and as if there has been a lot of work put into producing them, but the documentary sounds as if it is being chopped up into six to make it look like there's more than there is, the restoration may be interesting but IS filler, and so is the time-capsule thing - they're not stuck for content on this as a two disc set at all, are they?

Tricks Of The Trade is an oft lifted and used clip, and the art gallery is a standard feature anyway - the only other thing I'm excited about is to finally own The Old Mill on DVD after years of studying an old VHS copy.

DisneyPedia, peek of Bambi II, Disney Storytime, What's Your Season? and the Set Top Screensaver all scream of family filler.

Face it - Bambi wasn't documented as mush as the other films due to the war, and they're stretching to fill two discs (the film itself lasts under 70 minutes...wonder if we'll get DTS to pad THAT disc out)?

Don't get me wrong - I'm looking forward to it - but Bambi is not going to be a knock out disc, however great the film is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

EVEN MORE DVD SCREENSHOTS

Post by JustinWilliams » January 13th, 2005, 4:31 am

I'm getting quite excited about this DVD - esp. since I discovered more DVD screen shots of the DVD menus which suggest a great deal of extras away from the kid-heavy emphasis: http://www.mda.dds.nl/4-5menu.htm (If you can't read Dutch you'll find this harder to appreciate than me) :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2005, 7:31 am

That's a lot of text screens!

Wanna translate and share the goodness? I hope they're not simply screens of info instead of video material.