Alvin and the Chipmunks (Fox)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Alvin and the Chipmunks 3....in 3D!!!!

Post by Dacey » March 20th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Probably won't be there on opening day, although I'm sure I'll still turn up for it eventually. ;)

The movies appeal to the kid in me somehow. I'm so ashamed to admit that.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 20th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Dacey wrote:Probably won't be there on opening day, although I'm sure I'll still turn up for it eventually. ;)
Yeah, I've seen both Chipmunk movies in theatres...probably continue with this one. Ah well. Maybe this will be the FINAL CHAPTER..for now. :P
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 21st, 2010, 2:29 pm

I can't wait!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 21st, 2010, 3:19 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:Oh god. :shock: Hollywood falls deeper and deeper into despair. Hopefully Bear and the Bow (or Brave) moves out of that date ASAP.
Actually, A3 changed its date OUT of their jealously coveted traditional Christmas date (which was the 90% reason Alvin 1 & 2 made their money in the first place and P&tF didn't), to move up a week to compete with Disney's Tron Legacy on the 17th.

(And considering that P&tF vs. Avatar proved that you can release a teen SFX-action movie a week before Christmas vacation but you can't release a family film, Disney vs. Fox turnabout is such fair play.. :P )
Oy. Can't Hollywood make something grand like Avatar again?
(...Ohh, yes, whatever happened to originality?? :mrgreen: )
Last edited by EricJ on March 21st, 2010, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 21st, 2010, 7:50 pm

LOL!! Good one! :lol: I love Avatar..but that thing was NOT original at all.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2010, 8:26 am

EricJ wrote:Actually, A3 changed its date OUT of their jealously coveted traditional Christmas date (which was the 90% reason Alvin 1 & 2 made their money in the first place and P&tF didn't), to move up a week to compete with Disney's Tron Legacy on the 17th.
Okay...I'm lost! How does A3, coming out in December 2011, have anything to do with Tron: Legacy, coming out December 2009!?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 23rd, 2010, 11:26 am

I was kinda wondering the same thing myself. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » March 23rd, 2010, 6:51 pm

*Eyes Pop out at the computer screen*, *eyeballs turn red*, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JasonST » May 4th, 2010, 1:20 am

I don't want another Alvin and Chipmunks movie. The second one was soo boring, so its not a good idea to go 3D for this sequel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » December 23rd, 2010, 2:30 pm

Ben wrote:Don't think Lisa Henson was ever at Disney, Eric. You're getting confused with the split between Disney and The Jim Henson Co.
I thought Brian was allowed to run the company, and Lisa was allowed to exploit the brandname for Disney projects--Where's the split?
Just watch Fox plonk Alvin 3 into that Thanksgiving slot come 2011... :(
...Now, WAIT a minute! Is it on or off, already?--Was #3 destroyed by a bitter lawsuit between Fox and the Bagdasarians after the second movie, or not?? :x

(And besides, back when they did have it, they were planning to jump on Yogi's new craze of thinking Dec 17th was more popular than Christmas Day for a kiddy-CGI marketing title.)
Last edited by EricJ on December 23rd, 2010, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: The NEW Muppet Movie

Post by Dacey » December 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm

I've heard nothing at all about Alvin 3 being cancelled, Eric.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 23rd, 2010, 6:30 pm

The way I heard it, the Bagdasarians had major legal property issues with Fox essentially taking over and marketing the franchise as their own after the second movie and not considering the Chipmunks as an existing pop group; there were "irreconcilable differences", and Ross Jr. pulled the character license on "Alvin 3D" in mid-production--Last reported sighting was March, despite continued widespread ambiguity about whether we're getting one anyway.

Believe me, we'd have HEARD about it by now if it was still on, and if there's no teaser or poster art with "Gulliver's Travels" next week, you have your answer.
Last edited by EricJ on December 23rd, 2010, 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 23rd, 2010, 6:40 pm

Um...no, we won't. It's not happening until NEXT Christmas. We didn't have any poster art or trailers for "The Squeakuel" back in 2008, did we?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 23rd, 2010, 9:18 pm

(Well, no, they didn't think the first film was as much of a hit, and we didn't get the posters/teasers for #2 until JUNE...That's the point.
They wouldn't have gotten so arrogant about "their" franchise in the first place if the second film hadn't been a hit, and yes, I know the marketing's a year away...That's sort of why I'd expected them to start right about now, on their other CGI Xmas staple.
As it is, even reports of casting have been suspiciously quiet, and rumors of an unhappy breakup are looking more and more plausible.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » December 24th, 2010, 6:19 am

Nothing would please me more than to see the Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise be completely abolished, but the Bagdarsarians know they have a massive cash-cow on their hands and I doubt they would ever stop production on the third film.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Fox pulls Alvin's release date closer to the Muppets. I still hold the suspicion that the reason they pushed Alvin back to Christmas wasn't just so the studio had something to immediately full back on if Avatar flopped, but also to sabotage The Princess and the Frog's box-office prospects.

Heck, in the 0% likelihood that I am suddenly elected president of 20th Century Fox tomorrow, I would not only cancel production on any future Alvin and the Chipmunks properties, I would also issue a public apology to Disney. Plus, I would use the budget originally intended for the third Chipmunks as well as the money earned from the grosses of The Squeakquel and use that to help fund a hand-drawn animated feature at Disney. I would also open a hand-drawn animation unit at Fox itself.