The Last Unicorn

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

The Last Unicorn

Post by GeorgeC » November 27th, 2006, 7:59 am

Here it is at http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=13618

The European (re: German) DVD is getting ported to the US.

It's a MUCH better DVD version of The Last Unicorn than the POS that was released in the US about two years ago.

Unfortunately, the new release does NOT resolve the legal issues between Mr. Beagle and the film's current owners. Peter Beagle endorses the new release since he realizes his fans (and the fans) wanted a better release than the previous shabby DVD release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New, BETTER Last Unicorn DVD announced for US

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2006, 10:02 am

Well, this is good news and I may well have to pick this up even if I do have the excellent Concorde Home Video edition from Germany,

Hopefully, though, this will be a new native frame transfer in NTSC and not a PAL-to-NTSC convert since the Euro edition already has the 4% time and pitch speedup and such things look pretty ropey when then transferred back to right speed NTSC.

GeorgeC

Deal for Last Unicorn fans through publishing website...

Post by GeorgeC » December 11th, 2006, 7:10 am

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=13829

Apparently, Peter S. Beagle's publisher is trying to help him with his legal woes concerning "The Last Unicorn" animated film.

You can check out the link from ToonZone.net to get details.

Sounds like a good deal for DVD collectors AND fans of Beagle... as well as people wanting to help some with a decent need!

Beagle does have some financial concerns and is caring for (from the last I heard) an ailing, elderly mother. What the current owners of "The Last Unicorn" movie have to done to him is unconscienable and plain wrong.

It's business, yes, but it doesn't make it right....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Still need to find out if this is a native frame transfer (ie. progressive 24p) or a PAL-to_NTSC conversion of the Carlton/Concorde master.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 11th, 2006, 2:58 pm

Unfortunately, from the way I've seen it worded in the press releases, I think it's the latter, Ben.

"The Last Unicorn" is a cult masterpiece but it's not like it's "Snow White" or some other Disney film. It's still only a cult film and NOT a major animation landmark. Yes, it's more popular and better known than most anime, but it's still not Disney, Pixar, or Shrek.

I just don't think they'll remaster the film again for the US market.

Oh, they'll bring over the anamorphic print, for sure, but it'll probably be through the cheapest route they can because, after all, "it's just animation!"

I'll probably still get a copy, though, and I'm gonna try to be patient and order a copy through the publisher on the link since I DO want to help Mr. Beagle...

Anybody that knows me well knows that's a big deal for me. I don't like to pay more than SRP for any DVD unless I can't find the thing in stores or it's out-of-print. I've skipped getting DVDs that DID cost an arm-and-a-leg. What Mr. Beagles' publisher is offering, however, is reasonable, and you get it autographed by the man himself (for only $10 extra) if you want.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2006, 6:16 am

Yeah, that's enticing. But I <I>do</I> already have craptastic Artisan TLU DVD (pan-and-scam, mono), plus the UK edition (letterboxed, English main title) and the German (anamorphic, German main title, English 5.1 soundtrack), so I just don't know how much I <I>really</I> want to spend on this title.

If it had been native frame/prgressive I would have gone the Beagle route, but if I'm getting is essentially yet another PAL-speed version (with a conversion thrown in to smudge the image further), then it's not that much of draw for me, you know?

After all, that'll be the fourth version of this I have and yet I'll always end up watching the German disc for its progressive pictures.

You know I like my covers (!) but that's paying too much for what would basically be another cover on the shelf. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Last Unicorn special edition DVD

Post by Kirby-chan » December 29th, 2006, 4:49 pm

That's right folks, the classic is finally being released with special features in the US Feburary 6th!

http://www.conlanpress.com/html/news.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kirby-chan » December 29th, 2006, 4:55 pm

oh shoot, this isnt in the right place is it? sorry! :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 29th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Nope it isn't. That's ok though, since you are new.

Thanks for the news! its been a long time since I've seen the film myself. About time, is all I can say :P

Btw, welcome to the boards Kirby-chan! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 29th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Merged into Home Entertainement

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 29th, 2006, 10:40 pm

Merged into pre-existing thread! ;)

It's great that Peter Beagle gets some cashback through ordering on that site, but a shame still that this is essentially a PAL-to-NTSC conversion that will have jittery half-frames every five/six frames or so.

If it's coming from the German edition, I wonder if we'll get the German title plate on the front? Then again, the video interview with Peter is new and the running time is listed at the right 93 minutes, while a PAL version would clock in at 89 minutes.

George...are you going to get this? It seems they <I>may</I> have sprung for a new transfer after all, and if so, I'm possibly interested... :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 1st, 2007, 6:45 am

Yeah,

I'm getting the film.

It's one of the few non-Disney animated features that's held up well for me over the years.

I really want this release to be the definitive R1 release but I'm concerned about the possible that it's a simple PAL-to-NTSC port. That's just not good, no matter if Beagle's getting money to settle his legal case or take care of his mother.

<Sigh> Yeah, I'll break down and get it! :wink:

Here's the direct link to order the AUTOGRAPHED copy of The Last Unicorn from Conlan Press. This is the ONLY place to get autographed DVDs (DVD, DVD jacket, slipcase)...

http://www.conlanpress.com/Merchant2/me ... de=LU-DVD1

The autographed copy runs you $24.98

You can also get UNTOUCHED, non-autographed that will STILL benefit Mr. Beagle here...

http://www.conlanpress.com/Merchant2/me ... de=LU-DVD2

The UNSIGNED DVD runs for $14.98

Good deal either way!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kirby-chan » May 29th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Well, I got the DVD, it's in a great condition and the autograph on the disc hasnt worn off yet, I am a little dissapointed to notice that the DVD is without most of the cussing. All the damns and hells are cut out excet one, but they did a great job of taking them out, and they're just words that do not interfere with the story, and the widescreen format and the better picture quality and sound, the DVD makes up for it well. It also has a good set of special features, Beagle talks about how he came up with the story, a sumary of his life, and the origional trailer.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 30th, 2007, 6:30 am

Rand's review states this is a PAL-to-NTSC conversion.

I saw the trailer on the Happily N'Ever After DVD and it didn't look that way to me...it looked frame-native progressive.

Can Rand or someone let me know what the counter reads at the end of the movie and if there are mixed frames every five/six or so, which would indicate a conversion. I've heard different running times and thoughts on this, but would like to get it if it's worth it.

If it's around 88/89 minutes instead of 92/93 then I'll hold on to my German transfer since that's what this would have come from.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 30th, 2007, 11:46 pm

I had read elsewhere that the new Region 1 DVD did use the German master, and double-checking the actual runtime on the counter, it reads 1:28:50 at the end of the movie.

So, looks like it's a PAL job, right?