Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » April 30th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Um...I think she was joking around. After all, it doesn't sound like a promising movie idea. o__O

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » April 30th, 2006, 7:16 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » April 30th, 2006, 7:22 pm

Wow. Just...wow. To me, it sounds like the last possible idea these guys have left. LOL

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 30th, 2006, 7:26 pm

OMG! :eek:

Er, anyhoo, I like "Kung Fu Panda". :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 30th, 2006, 9:54 pm

About the songs in Cars. First let me say that they are being performed by the finest voices in Country Music today. Sheryl Crow, Rascal Flats, and Brad Paisley while thoroughly country don't have the deep twang that turns so many listeners off and have made successful spurts into the realm of pop. They are undoubtedly 3 of my favorite performers of all times. Also - of the 20 tracks, 11 are scores. Of the remaining 9 songs (eight when you count the repeat of Route 66) 4 are completely original including one penned by Randy Newman himself. Also let me say you have nothing to worry about with Brad Paisley behind the pen of another - that man has never written a bad song in his life. Of the remaining four - 2 (Route 66 and Life is a Highway) I doubt anyone will question their appropriateness for this movie. Honestly I think I'm looking more forward to the soundtrack than any other aspect and bet it will be absolutely awesome. :D
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 30th, 2006, 10:20 pm

PixarVixen wrote:Sadly, the days of animated films having their own songs, and good ones too, have long since past.

Hercules is a great example. It had such an amazing score. Every song was something I had never heard before. They were all fun, catchy, and totally clever. Whenever I watch something like Chicken Little, I'll hear an old pop song and for a few seconds I think, "Haha. Oh dear. They used this song." But then after that, I immediately think, "I miss those movies from years ago that had those great songs".

~~=oP
Well, in all honesty, I loved the two major pop songs in that movie. One Little Slip and Stir it Up were awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 30th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Macaluso wrote: Well, in all honesty, I loved the two major pop songs in that movie. One Little Slip and Stir it Up were awesome.
Yup yup! And End of the World as we Know it has long been a personal favorite for me :)
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » April 30th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Macaluso wrote:Well, in all honesty, I loved the two major pop songs in that movie. One Little Slip and Stir it Up were awesome.
Heheh. Those I can live with. I love "Stir It Up" too. Both songs were written for the movie anyway.

I didn't mean to pick on Chicken Little. I probably could've used a different movie as a better example...like Robots.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SPACEHERO55 » May 1st, 2006, 1:02 am

I don't know to me the use of contemperary songs in movies, just cheapens the movie for me. It makes the movie dated.

I think that it's cheap. Rather than have a musical score that fits all the scenes they cheaply slap a few pop songs in to it.

The use of "It's the End of the World as we know it" in Chicken Little is one example of how a great scene was ruined by a song, This scene started out so well with a great music cue from John Debney. It was great alien invasion type music.

John Debney could have written a brilliant score, but his music was way over shadowed by the usage of way to many songs, to the point where his score is almost non exsistant. It's like a slap in the face to these great composers. It just really irks me.

The same thing has happened with composers Harry Gregson-Williams and Hanz Zimmer. These are great A List film score composers, but their scores for Shrek, Shrek 2, Sharktale and Madagascar were overshadowed by too many songs. It's like a slap in their faces. I mean why bother hiring A List composers when so little of their music will end up in the film. If thats the case then any composer will do.

Im sorry this is just a major issue for me, but alas it's only my opinion. I can of course expect the ususal mistreatment of a great musical score from "Over the Hedge" I do have high expectations from "Flushed Away" being as it's from Ardman and they have always preffered orchestral music scores to pop songs in their films. I don't think "Monster House" will have too many songs in it. "Happy Feet" will be filled to the brim with songs as will "Open Season"

Perhaps Im being too harsh on Cars though, I mean it is Pixar and it is John Lassater and they have not let me down before. So I will with hold judgment of it till I see it.

Ronald C
Im a Superhero, what could happen?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 1st, 2006, 1:13 am

SPACEHERO55 wrote:Im sorry this is just a major issue for me, but alas it's only my opinion.
Don't worry! I feel the same way. I'm on your side. ^__~

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 1st, 2006, 6:12 pm

Brandon Neeld wrote:
Macaluso wrote: Well, in all honesty, I loved the two major pop songs in that movie. One Little Slip and Stir it Up were awesome.
Yup yup! And End of the World as we Know it has long been a personal favorite for me :)
Yep. I wish they had used more of that song in the movie. :D

And as for "Cars", yeah, I'm sure the songs will work fine. I'm all for Pixar trying something new (for them anyway).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SPACEHERO55 » May 1st, 2006, 8:11 pm

Well at least PixarVixen is on my side.

No,No,No....If Pixar starts filling their animated films with contemperary songs than that will just cheapen them for me. One of the many reasons why I think their films are better than any of the other studios doing CGI Films is the fact that they never catered to the low marketing ploy of putting pop songs in their films to sell soundtracks to preteens. I admired that about Pixar. It makes them better.

They allow the characters and story to see the picture, while Dreamworks rellies on selling cd's to preteens and celebrity voices, because their films are soo bad this is the only way they can sell them.

The fact that pixar did not stoop to the low level of putting pop songs in their films is one of the many reasons I respect them so much and why they are so much better they Dreamworks and other studios when it comes CGI films.

I say no to Pixar going this route. I would be a cheap move.

Ronald C
Im a Superhero, what could happen?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2006, 10:14 pm

They allow the characters and story to see the picture, while Dreamworks rellies on selling cd's to preteens and celebrity voices, because their films are soo bad this is the only way they can sell them.
DW films aren't bad. They have good stories and the music is just part of it. Have you seen every single DW film? And they may use celebrities but they often play AGAINST type, they don't just "play themselves."

You could say that Pixar relies on selling toys to pre-schoolers and that's "the only way they can sell them." I'm just saying. Every company markets stuff so they can sell their movie--it can be music, toys, clothes, etc...Pixar does all of the above, and now they're doing music. No big deal in my opinion. If it fits the film, why is it a problem?
These are great A List film score composers, but their scores for Shrek, Shrek 2, Sharktale and Madagascar were overshadowed by too many songs. It's like a slap in their faces. I mean why bother hiring A List composers when so little of their music will end up in the film. If thats the case then any composer will do.
I thought Madagascar had a really good score. I didn't notice too many pop songs in that one. Ditto Antz. What about the awesome scores for Sinbad, Spirit and Prince of Egypt?
I do have high expectations from "Flushed Away" being as it's from Ardman and they have always preffered orchestral music scores to pop songs in their films.
Flushed Away is a collaberation between Aardman and DW. Half the animation is being done at Glendale and there are story people from DW too.
Hercules is a great example. It had such an amazing score. Every song was something I had never heard before. They were all fun, catchy, and totally clever. Whenever I watch something like Chicken Little, I'll hear an old pop song and for a few seconds I think, "Haha. Oh dear. They used this song." But then after that, I immediately think, "I miss those movies from years ago that had those great songs".
Like I said before, I'm not trying to blame Pixar, but, well, this is kind of indirectly because of them. One of the #1 things they stressed when making Toy Story was NO breaking into song. So...they only had background songs by Randy Newman commenting on the action. I think this was the begining of the slow death of the animation broadway musical, even if it wasn't intentional. Pixar started the whole thing...which led to Phil Collins doing Tarzan and Sting doing Emperor's New Groove and Bryan Adams doing Spirit. Didn't Sarah Mcloughclin write a song for "Toy Story II"? They started the trend and the other studios just followed it. Maybe we've gotten too far from Animated Musicals, especially since a lot of people seem to want characters singing again. Someone should tell Ed Catmull and John Lassetter this. Because if I'm not mistaken, they are completely against having characters sing in their films. But since they're running WDFA now, it's their responsiblity to look at what people want as well, not just what they're used to doing.
Wow. Just...wow. To me, it sounds like the last possible idea these guys have left. LOL

~~=oP
Y'know, a lot of people said the same thing about Cars. :wink: :roll:

And at least it's an original idea. Not like....."Well, we've done monsters, fish, cars, toys...hmmmm, how about "Plants!" Gereniums vs. Oaks! It's genius! Academy Award here we come!" :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 1st, 2006, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 1st, 2006, 10:47 pm

~I say no to Pixar going this route. I would be a cheap move.

Would be? It's already been done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 1st, 2006, 11:26 pm

ShyViolet wrote:And at least it's an original idea. Not like....."Well, we've done monsters, fish, cars, toys...hmmmm, how about "Plants!" Gereniums vs. Oaks! It's genius! Academy Award here we come!" :roll:
Funny you should mention plants. I made a movie poster at YSU last year for my idea for a Pixar movie, and it's about flowers. :P

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]