Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 1st, 2006, 11:30 pm

"You can learn a lot of things from the flowers...." :wink:

THAT'S SO CUTE. :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 1st, 2006, 11:44 pm

Thank you!

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SPACEHERO55 » May 2nd, 2006, 12:21 am

Shy Violet Will Smith basically did play himself in Sharktale and Madagascar was filled with songs, the score was almost non exsistant.

I ment the CGI films are the ones that have an over abundance of songs. Surprisingly enough the animated films from Dreamworks that is not CGI have great musical scores and no songs, Like Chicken Run, Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas, Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Wererabbit

Yes I have seen all of DW animated films.Not all DW animated films are bad, I mean Sinbad and Wallace and Grommit were excelent films, some of the best animated films I have seen and Prince of Eygpt was great.

Im saying that their CGI stuff is not that good. I feel that the stories are gimicky and mediocure. The stories are weak an dthe jokes allways seem out of place, Don't get me wrong a lot of the jokes are funny, but they don't serve the story and seem out of place in many cases.

Within the context of the story alot of the jokes don't work and that throws the whole pacing of the movie off and you end up with a weak story and ultimately not a very good film.

This is the case with their CGI stuff. Everytime a new DW CGI Animated film comes out. I am skeptical , but I go in with an open mind and no prejudgement and everytime I am always dissapointed.

It happened with Shrek and Shrek 2, It happened with Sharktale and It happened with Madagascar. Their track record is not good.

As far as contemperary pop songs in animated films go well I just don't like them. I think it cheapens the movie I prefer scores.

Ronald C
Im a Superhero, what could happen?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 2nd, 2006, 12:41 am

SPACEHERO55 wrote:Will Smith basically did play himself in Sharktale
That is something I agree with 100%! Even my one prof who works in comics was talking about Will playing Oscar one day. He was like, "When you watch the movie and hear Oscar talking, do you hear Oscar or Will Smith? Will Smith". As much as I love Will Smith, his personality in the movie was a little over the top. I'm not saying this was Will's fault. He was just following the script. It ended up being Will Smith as an animated fish IMO.

I know that's not the main point you were covering, but I had to say all that. LOL :wink:

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 2nd, 2006, 12:43 am

Shy Violet Will Smith basically did play himself in Sharktale and Madagascar was filled with songs, the score was almost non exsistant.
Well, Smith played a scheming loser....I could be wrong but isn't he a super-smart/super-cool guy in every film he makes? In SharkTale he actually has a vulnerable side. You can see the mistakes he makes and laugh. I totally believed in the character, didn't think a whole lot about Smith. But I mean you're right...his personality DID serve the character to an extent. It's like when you're watching Aladdin...you're basically watching Robin Williams. No one had a problem with that at the time as far as I recall.

Also, other than "The Candyman" and "New York, New York," I don't remember the songs from Madagascar, although I could be wrong. Ben Stiller played a somewhat self-absorbed but sensitive guy and he actually has to get pretty emotional in the film (in his comedies he's usually arrogant.) And Chris Rock? He doesn't do any of his yelling/screaming/cussing thing he usually does in Madagascar, and he actually playes someone who's down and confused and searching for himself. When was the last time Chris Rock played someone like that?

I think you're right about too many pop songs though...I don't particularly love them either. But it's a long haul back to musicals from where we are....like I said before the people in charge of the most famous animation studio in history as of right now are NOT big on musicals. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 2nd, 2006, 12:58 am

ShyViolet wrote:It's like when you're watching Aladdin...you're basically watching Robin Williams. No one had a problem with that at the time as far as I recall.
That's a good point. However, most of the time he was doing impressions and other voices, but maybe that doesn't matter. ^^ As far as how other people felt about him back then, I have no idea. I didn't even know who he was before Aladdin.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » May 2nd, 2006, 9:01 am

ShyViolet wrote:And they may use celebrities but they often play AGAINST type, they don't just "play themselves."
Really???

Antz
Woody Allen

Shrek
Eddie Murphy

Madagascar
Chris Rock
Ben Stiller
Jada Pinkett Smith

Shark Tale
Will Smith
Robert De Niro
Angelina Jolie

All of those people have played themself or played the same character they always do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 2nd, 2006, 9:12 am

Only skimming this thread for a moment I say this:

Madgascar is the only one I don't completely agree with you on. Chris Rock and Ben Stiller did NOT play themselves in my opinion. During most of the movie I completely forgot that Ben Stiller even did the lion's voice.

And about the Genie: No. You are not watching Robin Williams. You are watching the Genie. I couldn't imagine anyone else doing the voice for him, he comes so naturally to the part. When Dan Castalenetatletlaltleltahomer voiced him, however, I can't really get into the character, because I'll I see is Homer. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 2nd, 2006, 10:07 am

I agree, when you watch the the genie you don't think it's Robin Williams because the character is so well developed. DW films are horribly cast, with the focus on big name stars rather than whose voice actually suits the character.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 2nd, 2006, 10:43 am

I don't really completely agree with that either though. I do think that they focus on big names, but not to the point where they don't get the right roles for the parts. Shrek for example, I never felt like I was taken out of the film becuase the voices seemed perfect for everyone. Especially Fionna. Which... is suprising, as I am not a big fan of Cameron Diaz beyond The Mask. =P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2006, 11:07 am

Shrek cast its voices well.

Remember that Myers actually went back and gave the big green guy a slightly softer Scottish accent to put some character into it so it wasn't "just Mike Myers".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 2nd, 2006, 11:51 am

I seem to be a bit late, but...

I don't blame Pixar for not making their films musicals. Toy Story first came out when people were starting to get bored with musicals - remember in 'Dream On, Silly Dreamer', when Deja is talking with a woman about Hunchback of Notre Dame, and she grimaces and asks him, "Is it going to be a musical?". We've basically been taking a break from musicals. Now, seeing as musicals are getting more and more popular, I think we'll start to see them in animation more (aren't Enchanted and Rupunzel going to be musicals?).

As for pop songs, I really don't like them in animated films. "It’s the End of the World as We Know it" COMPLETLY wrecked the alien scene in Chicken Little for me. Ten years from now, will people even still like the genre of music that’s used in these movies?

I agree with Ben - I think Shrek was very well cast in both movies. Madagascar's cast, however, really bothered me. Ben Stiller and Jada Smith did nothing for me, and Chris Rock was flat out annoying. I thought David Shwimmer actually did a nice job, though, and whoever did King julian was amazing (wasn't it someone who worked on the film?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 2nd, 2006, 1:11 pm

Not that I mind this interesting convo, but will we ever be talking about Cars again? ^^ I mean, if we still want to discuss the topics about celebrity voices and pop songs in animated movies, I think we should move them out of the Cars thread. Just a suggestion. ;)

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 2nd, 2006, 5:13 pm

So...what about those Cars voices... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 2nd, 2006, 6:20 pm

It's gonna take a while to get used to Own Wilson's voice...