Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by jrsharp21 » July 15th, 2006, 12:38 am

Any of you guys collect the Cars diecast toys?

Here is a good message board about them.

http://p067.ezboard.com/bcarsthetoys

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » July 15th, 2006, 6:25 pm

I want to collect all of them but I can't afford them at the moment. I currently have only Doc Hudson but he is very cool!
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 19th, 2006, 1:46 pm

The cover art is okay...However Lightning's eyes bother me, and why isn't Sally in there somewhere?

EDIT: Never mind, her butt's on the top right corner.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 19th, 2006, 5:21 pm

Cars have butts?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 19th, 2006, 5:44 pm

They do now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » July 19th, 2006, 5:58 pm

And according to the bumper sticker on the van, he has a nice one. XD

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

lol

Post by bawpcwpn » July 19th, 2006, 6:25 pm

PixarVixen wrote:And according to the bumper sticker on the van, he has a nice one. XD

~~=oP
I Love that bit! i found it interesting how a lot of the song must have been recorded before some of the animation like in the credits.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » July 20th, 2006, 3:28 am

PixarVixen wrote:And according to the bumper sticker on the van, he has a nice one. XD
Ah yes, Pixar loves their butte jokes... :P

Saw this again today. So happy. *sigh*

And about the cover... yeah, Lightning's eyes are wonky. I think it's 'cos his pupils look a bit too small. I think it would have been awesome if they did it like the CD cover, actually. Simple, but SPARKLY.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » July 27th, 2006, 2:30 am

I'm new and afraid to say what I thought of "Cars".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2006, 10:53 am

Nah, go ahead and speak (and welcome to our boards)! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » July 27th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Ben wrote:Nah, go ahead and speak (and welcome to our boards)! :)
Thanks, I really like it here. Its great to be around people with a love for animation. :)

I must admit that I'm pretty critical of most CGI movies. They really have to work to impress me because I blame the media for the demise of 2D animation. I loved "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2", "Monster's Inc" and to an extent, "A Bugs Life". I found "The Incredibles" entertaining but overrated and "Finding Nemo" to be fairly mediocre with the exception of the voicework.

"Cars" I thought was the worst Pixar film. I thought it was the most boring and the most tacky (the jokes they resorted to were Dreamworks material).

The problem I have with most CGI films is that ever since "Shrek" (which I liked), they all try to copy its success. We're then left with stories that don't take themselves seriously enough, in exchange for light-hearted, most times crass, "entertainment". I never thought Pixar resorted to quite that level until "Cars". What made it more inconsistent though, was that halfway through it did try and take itself seriously but by then I had lost interest. Even the music was different. "Toy Story" and "Monsters, Inc" had music by Randy Newman, right? "Cars" featured a lot of pop music that reminded me of a Disney Channel movie for the pre-teen set.

I think it has more to do with the story than the animation itself, though I do prefer 2D. It just seems that so far, a CGI film hasn't really become an epic like the classics ("Beauty and the Beast", "The Lion King", "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and so on).

I thought "Monster House" was a pretty good film, and was a step in the right direction for CGI films. I know a lot of people love Pixar, and I like them too for the most part. I just wish it hadn't crowded out Disney's 2D department. Both divisions told such different stories, and I'd be more apt to accept the one if both existed.

I would've liked "Cars" had it been a good movie, I just didn't feel that it was. Thats just my opinion of course. I have no idea if I'm making sense.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2006, 4:34 pm

You're making sense!

I've said often in other topics that CGI needs to get away from the family/young adult comedy.

A shame that Final Fantasy tanked, since at least is was a step in another direction and not another comedy with pop references.

I'm looking forward to Monster House too, given that it seems to be trying to do something original.

Night At The Museum (a live/CG combo) looks like HEAPS of fun too, with real old timers like Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney in the live-action line up and newer comics like Ben Stiller and Robin Williams as well. Should be great, old fashioned family entertainment, at least according to Mr Rooney, who I was lucky enough to see recently.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 28th, 2006, 2:25 pm

You met Mickey Rooney?!?!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 28th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Yep, got him to sign my "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" LaserDisc box set, which he seemed to get a kick out of, saying "it's nice to see the youngsters of today remember our old stuff...this was a mad, mad, mad movie to make but lots of fun...they sure don't make 'em like this now".

I was going to get my "Pete's Dragon" DVD cover signed, but I already have Jim (Doc Terminus) Dale's signature in the optimum place on that one!

Rooney said that "Night At The Museum" was "a great return to the old fashioned family pictures - something you can go and see with the whole family and not worry about things that are offensive". He seemed to have good words to say about Ben Stiller too, and it seems his performance is somewhat toned down in this one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » July 28th, 2006, 3:54 pm

FINALLY! Cars got it's UK release today and I was there at 10 am for the first showing following a visit to the Disney store where I stocked up on Cars merchandise. My verdict...? Very good. Not Pixar's best I'll admit but nowhere near as disappointing as many reviews have claimed. The animation was beautiful, I was verging on tears during the 'old town' scene and the journey of Lightning's character from selfish rookie to best friend felt incredibly natural rather than forced. Perhaps a little dull in places and not as comical as most Pixar films, I still really enjoyed it.

Oh and One Man Band? MASTERPIECE!