Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 23rd, 2005, 4:25 pm

I will admit, knowing that Owen Wilson is doing the voice of the main character certainly is a big plus to me. I love Owen Wilson -- I think he is one of the funniest comic actors out there.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » February 23rd, 2005, 5:08 pm

While i didnt really like the teaser, i cant wait to see this i am a HUGE Pixar fan. And i really like Bonnie Hunt.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » February 23rd, 2005, 7:48 pm

James wrote:Most studios are lucky if their success/failure rate of making good movies is 50-50. Until their success rate dips below 70%, I don't see how anyone can say Pixar films don't pique their interest!
But the success of a film is one's own personal opinion. Spider Man 2 did great at the b.o. but I didn't like it & wouldn't call it a success. On the other hand, I loved Brother Bear & Atlantis even though they did not do great at the b.o.

Regardless, why can't you say a film doesn't interest you if a studio has had other good films. If Pixar was making a 3 hour movie about a toilet bowl, I would say it doesn't interest me even if I thought all their other films were A+ (which I don't).
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 23rd, 2005, 8:59 pm

If Pixar was making a 3 hour movie about a toilet bowl...
...who longed to be a porta-potty. Walt Disney Pictures presents a Pixar film: Porta John, toilet bowl-ing to a theater near you this November.

You know, I wouldn't mind seeing that! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 23rd, 2005, 9:57 pm

I would watch that in a second.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 23rd, 2005, 11:24 pm

Ewwww....more "toilet humor"! (literally)
:lol:

Plus there's already a movie about a rat getting flushed down a toilet...(not sure if this is Ratopolis or Ratouville. BOY, those films' titles are SO similar.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 24th, 2005, 12:14 am

"But the success of a film is one's own personal opinion. Spider Man 2 did great at the b.o. but I didn't like it & wouldn't call it a success. On the other hand, I loved Brother Bear & Atlantis even though they did not do great at the b.o." --askmike1

With all due respect askmike1, success of a film is not one's own personal opinion. The fact is, in the real world, success of a film is determined by one of two things or a combination of the two: 1) Box office gross 2)Good critical reviews

Spider-man 2, for example, achieved both these things, while the other 2 films you mention did not (yes, Brother Bear & Atlantis both did get some good reviews, but most were pretty luke-warm. I liked them both, but that doesn't make them a success by any means). I understand your point, but there's really no denying which films are successes and which ones are not.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » February 24th, 2005, 11:37 am

There are many forms of 'success.'
1) Box Office Successs- If a film grosses more than $100m, it's a hit...more than $200m its a mega hit...more than $300m, its an uber hit. However, this is just my opinion. For some people a film has to cross $200m for it to be any type of sucess. Passion of the Christ grossed $370m,+ so on this term, it is a success

2) Critical Success- Passion of the Christ was a box office success (with over $370m); however, if you go to Rotten Tomatoes, it only has a 51% Freshness rating. Critics bashed this film, so on this term Passion was a failure.

3) Personal Success- Sometimes the producer goes through a lot to get the film to actually air. 'Passion' was a success for Mel Gibson because of what he had to do to get the movie out. Same thing with Mel Gibson's film.

However, the real success of a film is all one's personal opinion. Although Shrek 2 made loads of money, will it be remembered 50 years from now? I don't know. On the other hand, there are many films that did not make a lot but will remain classics throughout the years.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pixar trailers

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2005, 11:18 am

The trailer was SO self-promotional it's sickening: the hillbilly car going: "Ooooh, I would DO ANYTHING to see that picture!"

That might be a reason to worry in itself.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » March 2nd, 2005, 11:42 am

Well, that actually made me laugh. :o
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 14th, 2005, 5:45 pm

Early opinion on Cars:

(scroll down to Mr. Fun's post)

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 010277;p=1

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 14th, 2005, 6:56 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Early opinion on Cars:

(scroll down to Mr. Fun's post)

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 010277;p=1
Interesting... :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 15th, 2005, 9:14 am

Well, he's seen a pre-rendered, some storyboard shot, rough cut of Cars.

Still, that's usually enough to tell if its working, though we'll have to wait and see what the public thinks of this when it comes out.

Naturally, come ChickLit and the new year, we'll start getting more extended previewes and be able to gauge it better, but so far, public reaction is weak.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 15th, 2005, 1:36 pm

I think that poster used to work at Pixar, so that might have affected his opinion a little.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » June 15th, 2005, 5:06 pm

hehe :) ...and we watched as much as about 1 and half minute long teaser 1,5 year before opening day, so that might have affected our opinion of the whole movie a little ;)