Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 30th, 2006, 7:26 pm

That looks great.

The Japanese Chicken Little trailer was far better than the American ones too. American trailers sell humor. Japanese trailers sell "heart."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 30th, 2006, 8:16 pm

hah. They used my favorite Tresaure Planet track in that trailer.

This movie is gonna be awesome.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 30th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Okay - little gripe about the trailer - did they have to give away EVERYTHING? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2006, 11:01 pm

You're right, Meg. It gave away way too much. But it looks better than I thought.

I love that song "Route 66"!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 31st, 2006, 6:19 am

Macaluso wrote:hah. They used my favorite Tresaure Planet track in that trailer.
Yeah - pretty cool, and the first time we've heard anything like what Randy Newman's orchestral score might sound like against those kind of visuals.

BTW, Cars seems to be clocking in at around the 2 hour mark - not sure if that includes One Man Band or not, but I hope it doesn't outstay its welcome. The one thing we've seen too much of recently is an over self-indulgence from directors who have final cut.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » March 31st, 2006, 6:35 am

Macaluso wrote:They used my favorite Tresaure Planet track in that trailer.
Thanks, I was trying to remember what it was from. I really should watch that film more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 31st, 2006, 9:03 pm

Cars seems to be clocking in at around the 2 hour mark
I've heard they could use a cut or two in the middle. It'll probably be a bit shorter by the time June 9th comes around.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 2nd, 2006, 4:37 pm

I just read another topic on Cars here (The Coincidence? I think not! topic) and couldn't help but still be bothered by the windshield eyes. Since I haven't seen anyone give it a try, I thought I'd do a quick impression of what the character would have looked like with the more conventional 'headlights for eyes' approach, just t see what that would be like... I'm not saying it's better or worse, but it's different, and that may be interesting to see...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

That's scary.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 2nd, 2006, 4:46 pm

Exactly what about it do you find scary?!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 2nd, 2006, 4:55 pm

It's REALLY obvious to me why they made the windshields the eyes. It makes the facial expressions a lot easier to see, not to mention we'd have a big empty space where the windshield is. Case in point...

See, if the eyes are in the windshield, there's a lot more room for the face to be. Eyes in the headlights would have made the face more squished and harder to work withplus less expressive and, well, less cute.

Thanks for posting that, though! Interesting to see what they might have looked like if they had gone with that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Guardstone » April 2nd, 2006, 5:21 pm

Good point there, Meg. I must agree that headlights as eyes make for a smaller face that is more diffcult to have communicate expressively. Ofcourse, one solution would be to make the features -more specifically the eyes- larger. That increases likeability and makes the expression easier to read.

But let's not forget what the relative sizes of features in human faces (with which we all relate to most) are. We have relatively small eyes, about halfway down our heads. Above the eyes are relatively large foreheads and hair. More or less of the same size as the windshields...
Much of the problem I have with the windshield eyes (not even the face that the eyelids are a mystery to me...) is that it makes the cars too much talking faces, and too little cars. All I see now is two huge faces, there's very little car left.

Let's also take a look at Ward Kimball's design of a very, VERY expressive car which has headlights for eyes... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 2nd, 2006, 5:31 pm

That is impressive...Still, I think (in Pixar's style) that it works better with the windshields.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 2nd, 2006, 6:32 pm

Guardstone wrote: Let's also take a look at Ward Kimball's design of a very, VERY expressive car which has headlights for eyes... :)
In all fairness, that's kind of a bad example, because it doesn't really... HAVE a windshield, and is a different kind of car alltogether. Still, I know what you're saying, as The Brave Little Toaster had headlight eyes on the cars.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 2nd, 2006, 6:39 pm

Guardstone wrote:Exactly what about it do you find scary?!?
I'm not quite sure. Something about the eyes. :shock:

Especially on the tow truck.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."