Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 20th, 2006, 10:18 am

Oh, I know!

"Putt-Putt: The Movie".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cars DVD menu's, screens, trailers, and more! (SPOILER)

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » October 21st, 2006, 2:51 pm

Thanks to lighthousemike, at UltimateDisney.com, who posted scans of the Cars DVD, inserts, pictures of the menus and more! It's all very cool.

Here it is:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=16955
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 22nd, 2006, 7:48 am

Wow! Those menus look awesome!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2006, 12:47 pm

Especially the sneak peak menu :wink: I just love the drive in look.

But what really interest me, is the Blue Ray preview. It must win! :P

Ps... My 100 post and second star :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2006, 7:40 am

I think this thread should <I>shift gear</I>...

Geddit? <I>SHIFT GEAR</I>? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaarr...

Oh, never mind. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 23rd, 2006, 9:41 am

I got the joke, Ben. :wink:

By the way, for those of you who haven't already heard, it looks like Wal-Mart will sell the Cars DVD with a bonus disc. Upcoming Pixar has the scoop.
Last edited by Josh on October 23rd, 2006, 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 23rd, 2006, 2:17 pm

I got the joke as well Ben :wink:

And thanks for the heads up Mickey, our very own JV IS TIZ PIXAR was the one who discoved this, props to him :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 23rd, 2006, 5:54 pm

Dang it! Wal-Mart steals all the good stuff for themselves.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 23rd, 2006, 9:16 pm

A bit off-topic, but I really like your avatar WJ! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 24th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Thankies. :)

But I think it's making me do crazy things. :D

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Matt » November 10th, 2006, 7:26 am

Looks to be doing great on dvd.

From VideoBusiness.com:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6390067.html

Consumers race to pick up Cars

5 million copies sold in two days, as Disney doubled operating income in fiscal Q4
By Jennifer Netherby 11/9/2006

NOV. 9 | Consumers sped out to buy 5 million DVDs of Disney/Pixar’s Cars in its first two days in stores, putting the title on track to be one of the top-sellers of the year and kick-starting what is expected to be a huge fourth quarter for the studio.

Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger announced the sales of Cars during a Thursday afternoon conference call to discuss the company’s fourth-quarter and full-year earnings.

Cars also debuted on iTunes Tuesday, though the studio didn’t disclose how many copies were downloaded.

Disney has sold more than 500,000 movie downloads through iTunes since its launch in September and more than 12 million TV show downloads since October 2005, Iger said. He added that the studio believes download sales complement DVD sales.

“We haven’t seen any impact that is negative or cannibalistic from the download business,” Iger said.

Iger said the company has sold 6 million DVDs of The Little Mermaid, which also debuted day and date on iTunes, and the disc is on track to sell 10 million units worldwide.

Disney is the only studio that has a deal with iTunes to sell movie downloads, where low pricing has brought complaints from DVD retailers Wal-Mart and Target. When asked by an analyst about the complaints, Iger said the studio’s relationship with mass retailers is in “great shape” and that Disney is in talks to offer its films through planned download services from retailers.

“In general, our relationship with mass retail is actually very strong,” Iger said. “Clearly, the digital download initiatives, particularly movies, have created some tension over issues like pricing and windowing, but we ultimately believe that tension is going to dissipate over time as we learn more about how the business is impacting the consumer.”

Disney chief financial officer Tom Staggs said the company expects download and online advertising revenue from TV show streams could reach $700 million in the next fiscal year.

A strong slate of movie and DVD titles helped The Walt Disney Co. more than double operating income in its studio entertainment segment during the fiscal fourth-quarter ended Sept. 30 and for the full year, the company reported Thursday.

Operational improvements and cost cutting in home entertainment and worldwide theatrical distribution pushed operating income into positive territory, with the company reporting $214 million for the quarter compared to a loss of $313 million the previous year. Revenue was up 33% to $2 billion.

The company slashed its studio workforce by 20% in July and said it would slim the number of movies it releases.

The studio said the improvements in its home entertainment business came from cuts in marketing and trade programs for DVDs and lower distribution costs due to fewer returns. The studio also reported improved margins on sales of TV on DVD box sets, though that was partially offset by fewer unit sales compared to the previous year.

Theatrical improvements came from lower distribution costs due to fewer Miramax releases and the international theatrical performance of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

For the full year, studio entertainment revenue slid 1% to $7.5 billion. However, operating income more than tripled to $729 million due to improvements in worldwide motion picture and DVD distribution.

Improvements in the studio entertainment business and strong performance in media networks and theme park divisions boosted companywide net income 89% to $782 million for the fourth quarter. Revenue grew 14% to $8.8 billion.

For the full year, net income was up 33% to $3.4 billion companywide. Revenue was up 7% to $34.2 billion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2006, 11:47 am

Apparently, in the same magazine, Lasseter - always the showman/salesman - declined to answer questions on why the DVD was so light and if a Blu-Ray edition was on the cards.

"I really love what we did with <I>this</I> DVD" he says. Gee, sure, and I'll bet that all that other material is being stored ready for a 2-disc DVD and a feature-packed Blu-Ray disc by next Christmas, right?

The reason behind the somewhat vanilla disc this time out was that Lasseter was "too busy" to contribute more. So he could take a whole day or more out to entertain guests at Pixar but couldn't squeeze in two hours to sit for a commentary track?

The least they could have done, Lord Of The Rings and Sin City style, was say that the movie was coming out now due to Lasseter's committments and a better edition would be coming along at some point in the future.

As it is, never, as in the case of Chicken Little last year, has it been so obvious that another edition is coming along, most likely holding back the big features to get us stuck into Blu-Ray next year.

Color this one up as the "Gold Collection" edition of A Bug's Life, only to be replaced by an infinitely showier set in a few months...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » November 10th, 2006, 3:56 pm

From VideoBusiness.com:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6390067.html

Consumers race to pick up Cars

5 million copies sold in two days, as Disney doubled operating income in fiscal Q4
By Jennifer Netherby 11/9/2006

NOV. 9 | Consumers sped out to buy 5 million DVDs of Disney/Pixar’s Cars in its first two days in stores, putting the title on track to be one of the top-sellers of the year and kick-starting what is expected to be a huge fourth quarter for the studio.

Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger announced the sales of Cars during a Thursday afternoon conference call to discuss the company’s fourth-quarter and full-year earnings.

Cars also debuted on iTunes Tuesday, though the studio didn’t disclose how many copies were downloaded.

Disney has sold more than 500,000 movie downloads through iTunes since its launch in September and more than 12 million TV show downloads since October 2005, Iger said. He added that the studio believes download sales complement DVD sales.

“We haven’t seen any impact that is negative or cannibalistic from the download business,” Iger said.

Iger said the company has sold 6 million DVDs of The Little Mermaid, which also debuted day and date on iTunes, and the disc is on track to sell 10 million units worldwide.

Disney is the only studio that has a deal with iTunes to sell movie downloads, where low pricing has brought complaints from DVD retailers Wal-Mart and Target. When asked by an analyst about the complaints, Iger said the studio’s relationship with mass retailers is in “great shape” and that Disney is in talks to offer its films through planned download services from retailers.

“In general, our relationship with mass retail is actually very strong,” Iger said. “Clearly, the digital download initiatives, particularly movies, have created some tension over issues like pricing and windowing, but we ultimately believe that tension is going to dissipate over time as we learn more about how the business is impacting the consumer.”

Disney chief financial officer Tom Staggs said the company expects download and online advertising revenue from TV show streams could reach $700 million in the next fiscal year.

A strong slate of movie and DVD titles helped The Walt Disney Co. more than double operating income in its studio entertainment segment during the fiscal fourth-quarter ended Sept. 30 and for the full year, the company reported Thursday.

Operational improvements and cost cutting in home entertainment and worldwide theatrical distribution pushed operating income into positive territory, with the company reporting $214 million for the quarter compared to a loss of $313 million the previous year. Revenue was up 33% to $2 billion.

The company slashed its studio workforce by 20% in July and said it would slim the number of movies it releases.

The studio said the improvements in its home entertainment business came from cuts in marketing and trade programs for DVDs and lower distribution costs due to fewer returns. The studio also reported improved margins on sales of TV on DVD box sets, though that was partially offset by fewer unit sales compared to the previous year.

Theatrical improvements came from lower distribution costs due to fewer Miramax releases and the international theatrical performance of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

For the full year, studio entertainment revenue slid 1% to $7.5 billion. However, operating income more than tripled to $729 million due to improvements in worldwide motion picture and DVD distribution.

Improvements in the studio entertainment business and strong performance in media networks and theme park divisions boosted companywide net income 89% to $782 million for the fourth quarter. Revenue grew 14% to $8.8 billion.

For the full year, net income was up 33% to $3.4 billion companywide. Revenue was up 7% to $34.2 billion.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2006, 9:59 am

King Popper just posted that in our Cars theatrical thread. I replied with...
Ben wrote:Apparently, in the same magazine, Lasseter - always the showman/salesman - declined to answer questions on why the DVD was so light and if a Blu-Ray edition was on the cards.

"I really love what we did with <I>this</I> DVD" he says. Gee, sure, and I'll bet that all that other material is being stored ready for a 2-disc DVD and a feature-packed Blu-Ray disc by next Christmas, right?

The reason behind the somewhat vanilla disc this time out was that Lasseter was "too busy" to contribute more. So he could take a whole day or more out to entertain guests at Pixar but couldn't squeeze in two hours to sit for a commentary track?

The least they could have done, Lord Of The Rings and Sin City style, was say that the movie was coming out now due to Lasseter's committments and a better edition would be coming along at some point in the future.

As it is, never, as in the case of Chicken Little last year, has it been so obvious that another edition is coming along, most likely holding back the big features to get us stuck into Blu-Ray next year.

Color this one up as the "Gold Collection" edition of A Bug's Life, only to be replaced by an infinitely showier set in a few months...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 11th, 2006, 10:44 am

Makes me wonder if we should've got out copy last week...