Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 14th, 2006, 2:49 am

I'm glad you agree with me, Mac. :) And I didn't take the violence into consideration when I made that comment, but I should've.

Another point that can be made is the fact that Syndrome did indeed murder all of those supers, even though we didn't actually see it happen.

I remember Brad Bird saying this about The Incredibles:

"Really, really little kids should not see this movie. They should wait till they get older. We're getting some reactions from people who were disappointed that their four-year-old was a little freaked out by it. Well, I don't want to compromise the intensity in order to please a four-year-old."

Sorry. I know this is all off-topic, but I like to discuss The Incredibles whenever I can. It's not just about the movie itself though. I like the issue we're discussing as well.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 14th, 2006, 3:59 am

Also, the movie even dealt with suicide.

I quite like Brad Bird, and am very suprised that he's doing a movie like Rattitoule (sp?). Considering his last two stuff (at least of stuff I know of) were The Iron Giant and The Incredibles. Rattitoule seems like a really weird way to go, so I'm really interested in what he has planned.

Anyway, slightly back on topic, I would not have liked to see Cars deal with the "True" Route 66. Hell, the point was not even ABOUT route 66. I understand that was the original title and all, but Route 66 really only served as a road that would eventually bring you to radiator springs. It's not a "Based on a true story" thing or whatever.

It's talking Cars.

Talking.
Cars.

...Talking cars okay

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 14th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Macaluso wrote:
Wendy's Jane wrote:Can we get back on topic anytime soon?

"Cars" grossed about $60.1M when all was said and done. Strong, of course, but not Pixar's best opening by any means.

(Waits for JHM to post a "Disney's in DEEP trouble" article)
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /2905.aspx
Wow. Can I call 'em or what?

The film lacked female appeal: With much of the emphasis in "Cars" trailers & TV commercials being placed on the film's racing sequences (With the hope that these ads might then convince the NASCAR crowd to come out & see this new animated feature), Disney's PR department may have accidentally sent the wrong message to female movie-goers. Convincing this rather large market segment that "Cars" had little if anything that would appeal to and/or entertain women. Hopefully, a new set of commercials might be enough to turn that particular misconception around.

That is just crazy. USA Today reported that about 51% of the weekend's audience was female, according to exit surveys. Yeesh.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 14th, 2006, 1:34 pm

So I went to Valvoline today for an oil change, and left with this! They just GAVE it to me! (sorry for the crappy pic with glare)

Holy crap! It's the same size as the big Incredibles poster I won in a contest. The only character I don't see on there is the giant bull-tractor "Frank". I love this poster.

I also love the hell out of the soundtrack. Especially "Sh-boom" and the covered versions of "Life is a highway" and "Route 66". I love this damn movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 14th, 2006, 1:55 pm

The film lacked female appeal: With much of the emphasis in "Cars" trailers & TV commercials being placed on the film's racing sequences (With the hope that these ads might then convince the NASCAR crowd to come out & see this new animated feature), Disney's PR department may have accidentally sent the wrong message to female movie-goers. Convincing this rather large market segment that "Cars" had little if anything that would appeal to and/or entertain women. Hopefully, a new set of commercials might be enough to turn that particular misconception around.
Crap, now I'm gender-confused.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » June 14th, 2006, 2:04 pm

Macaluso wrote:So I went to Valvoline today for an oil change, and left with this! They just GAVE it to me! (sorry for the crappy pic with glare)

Holy crap! It's the same size as the big Incredibles poster I won in a contest. The only character I don't see on there is the giant bull-tractor "Frank". I love this poster.

I also love the hell out of the soundtrack. Especially "Sh-boom" and the covered versions of "Life is a highway" and "Route 66". I love this damn movie.
awesome! i have to go and get an oil change now! :D So far i've been waiting untill june 21st thats when the cars promotion stops in my town :) wooo-e i cant wait! has anyone else been to the promotion in their town?
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 14th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Meg wrote:
Crap, now I'm gender-confused.
You're not the only one. I'm a teenage boy who enjoys a good "Chick flick" every now and then. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 14th, 2006, 2:08 pm

I'm a teenage boy who enjoys a good "Chick flick" every now and then

That'll come in handy when a future girlfriend or wife or whatever wants to see one...Most guys are usually like, "NUUUUU."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 14th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Macaluso wrote:I quite like Brad Bird, and am very suprised that he's doing a movie like Rattitoule (sp?). Considering his last two stuff (at least of stuff I know of) were The Iron Giant and The Incredibles. Rattitoule seems like a really weird way to go, so I'm really interested in what he has planned.
It's spelled Image. ^__~

And Brad Bird has been involved with many different kinds of movies/TV shows. If you don't know much about him, he's worked on The Fox and The Hound, Family Dog, The Simpsons, The Critic, and King Of The Hill, to name a few. Heck, he even worked on One Man Band! This guy has been around. I'm positive he can handle Ratatouille. 8)

Macaluso wrote:I also love the hell out of the soundtrack.
Me too! My fave songs are Real Gone, Life Is A Highway, and Sh-Boom. I play Real Gone almost all the time. I can't get enough of it!

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 14th, 2006, 2:17 pm

The score is good, too. Man oh man, it felt nice to hear Randy Newman's stuff again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 14th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Jim Hill has waaaay too much time on his hands... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 14th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Uh, yeah. His most recent article is about what music he was listening to when he picked up his parents at an airport.

Whut.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » June 15th, 2006, 12:41 am

I'm a sucker for Brad Paisley's "Find Yourself" - have it on loop :)

And yes - I've noticed at least as many women and probly more than men purchasing Cars merchandise at The Disney Store.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 15th, 2006, 4:07 am

Heck, I'm not even a country music fan, and I love the soundtrack. "McQueen's Lost" is one of the scores I can remember liking off the top of my head, but the rest is pretty good. I don't think it beats A Bug's Life or The Incredibles, but not too shabby. Matches the film well, and that's all it really needs to do.

I've decided I need to find a friend planning on seeing this and tag along for a second watch. I must also be gender-confused. :D
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Shambler » June 15th, 2006, 4:48 am

PixarVixen wrote:Brandon and I stayed for 2 hours waiting at the gate for maybe a few celebs or Pixar crew members. No such luck. Ahh well.
You guys must have been in the wrong place. :cry: