The Lion King Blu ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Thanks for the info!

I'm still intrigued, though, as the images look like that drum is pretty deep, and I can't see the discs taking up all that space. Are the images deceptive or is there other stuff in the box/drum?

Any chance of an image or two, if you have the set yourself? :)

AV Team
AV Team

Re: The Lion King Blu ray

Post by Dan » October 4th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Here you go. Sorry for the size.

By the by, you can play it like an actual hand drum, both the top and bottom. Though I'm sure you would want to refrain for hit it too hard and too often so as not to break it. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 4th, 2011, 8:29 pm

I'd rather have a more traditional package, but I think I'll be going for this one anyhow. It'll be easier to justify getting this than paying $30 each for Lion King 1.5 & 2 later.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 4th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Remember that the Disney Movie Rewards $5 coupon can go towards the trilogy set, so don't forget to print those out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 4th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Lord Akiyama wrote:Remember that the Disney Movie Rewards $5 coupon can go towards the trilogy set, so don't forget to print those out.
$8 in Canada!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2011, 12:17 am

Changed my mind! Best Buy had sold out of the Trilogy set already, so I had to make a decision. I considered simply purchasing elsewhere, of course, but... After looking over the Lion King Blu-rays at BB, I decided to get the 3D version ($26.99 with coupon, so cheaper than the standard BD). I like the look of the spine, and how it'll match up with others on my shelf. The Trilogy package is just over-thought. The box and drum are kinda cool, but I don't like the look of the disc accordion--- too goofy and chintzy-looking. It's the kind of dopey packaging Universal usually comes up with. With more traditional packaging (or maybe some swag included), I would have gotten the Trilogy for sure.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 8th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Thanks for the pics!

But...yeah, I'm definitely with Rand on this one and will hold off on this. We have the 3D set on the way for review and I'd rather have more traditional packaging. If the set was priced a little less and had the regular cases inside that bigger box I'd have probably have been in, but as it is, I don't really need a Lion King drum. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 8th, 2011, 6:17 pm

Yeah, thanks for the pics. It made my decision much easier.

The preview on the BD for the other two films makes it look like they MIGHT be in a two-pack, which would be a good deal if that's how it comes out. We'll have to wait for the announcement, I guess.

(Loving the Forum spell-check, BTW James!)

Biggest fail on the BD is the use of the "virtual vault" for the DVD features. Incredibly lame, just as it was for Fantasia. Kinda wish I'd kept my LK DVD now, though at least I have the superb LaserDisc set.

Watched the film last night with the kids. Still gives me tingles. Wonderfully crafted film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » October 9th, 2011, 2:34 am

Randall wrote:Biggest fail on the BD is the use of the "virtual vault" for the DVD features. Incredibly lame, just as it was for Fantasia. Kinda wish I'd kept my LK DVD now, though at least I have the superb LaserDisc set.
They're STILL using that? :shock: Thought Fantasia's was the official last gasp of BD-Live!

(And I liked BD-Live, when properly applied, but we haven't had anything since then from any studio, and most of the channels on the old disks haven't picked up anything new in the last year...
Maybe they were planning the LK disk around the time of Fantasia, and still thought it was a good idea.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 9th, 2011, 4:11 am

Awe man, that sucks!

That virtual vault thing was just so badly thought out and implemented. Ok, if a disc is packed and can't take anymore content then I of course see the ned for space saving, but if it's just for SD material only then why not make more use of the Digital Copy disc and put those extras on there? We know it can be done.

But it's things like this - on really big titles too - that reduce the impact and impressiveness of a given title. Then again I would expect most people would have the LK DVD so still have access to that content, but it's not right. A BD, and Disney's better than most at getting it right, should be the definitive presentation of the film and "best assemble" of previous bonus supplements.

They usually get it right...and then pull something like this on their biggest title!? :roll:

GeorgeC

CONFIRMED -- separate Blu ray releases of Lion King sequels

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2011, 9:34 pm

The Lion King sequels are getting separate Blu ray release on March 6th.

You don't have to buy the Jungle Drum to get the films now.

The original Lion King and Bambi Blu ray/DVD releases among others are going out of print in February/March next year. Plan appropriately and get your Blu ray copies now...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 17th, 2011, 9:34 am

BTW, just to confirm, TLK sequels will be two individual sets.