Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax

Post by ibrmacf » October 27th, 2011, 12:08 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 27th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Okay, so Girl Who Isn't Even Remotely In the Book not only looks like Rapunzel, she also paints Truffula trees on the wall?? ;)

(Sheesh, and I complained about the Muppet movie...Anybody want a brief list of how Horton Hears a Who got it wrong, too?)

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Dr. Seuss' The Lorax

Post by Dacey » October 27th, 2011, 2:46 pm

"Horton Hears a Who" got it wrong? Not according to many critics and fans. However, I'm sure you have a long list of "facts" ready to make it seem like everyone "hated" that movie, too...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 27th, 2011, 3:19 pm

Dacey wrote:"Horton Hears a Who" got it wrong? Not according to many critics and fans.
Oh, they LIKED it--since most of the audience were grownups too smitten by Funny Seuss Things to remember the book clearly from reading it thirty years ago as kids--it just got it wrong. :P

(Seuss's Horton was not about faith, or imagination, or "Believing in lots of pink, fluffy impossible things"--Seuss, in fact, claimed he wrote it about the US turning a political deaf ear to Stalinist human-rights repression in the postwar 40's.
As we were coming into the McCarthyist era, any sympathy with Russia could be considered suspicious...Which explains, if you've ever been puzzled, why the Kangaroo in the book not only thinks that Horton worrying about "little people who everyone knows aren't there" is not only a waste of time, but DANGEROUS and POLITICALLY SUBVERSIVE to our nation as well!
Seuss's message was that "Little people", no matter how "small", should make themselves heard by someone in the rest of the world who'll listen, before they're wiped out...Which also explains why the Boy who does get heard is just some kid in the corner who got to say something, not a misundestood antihero who shouts "YOPPPP!" like Harry Potter doing the Expecto Patronus. :roll:
"Well, they couldn't make a movie of that, could they?" Oh, I dunno--Seems like Chuck Jones did a good job of that, and he knew the guy.)

Here, we at least see the iconic image of the Once-ler's hand peeking out of the window in the Ozymandias ruins of his once corporate empire after the trees went away, but the Boy doing it to impress a girl?
That just does not. Make. Sense. At all. Seriously, I'm lost. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 27th, 2011, 4:53 pm

Yes.

Yes, you are.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 28th, 2011, 12:04 am

The 1972 animated special just got announced for Blu-ray.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... u-ray/7959

Nice, I guess, but... really? Is that necessary? It's bound to look better than the cheesy DVD transfer, but still! Actually, it'll be nice to see an improved picture, but it'd be way better to plop a bunch of Seuss specials on a single Blu-ray rather than going 1-2 specials at a time. I can't justify getting a BD with a single 24 minute secial on it, or even if it has a single "bonus" special. (Universal's "Seuss Celebration" disc got it right, with loads of stories, except that it had some lousy transfers.)

Incidentally, it's said that Warner is putting out the BD, though The Lorax was a Universal DVD release previously. Weird.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » October 28th, 2011, 12:22 am

Randall wrote:Actually, it'll be nice to see an improved picture, but it'd be way better to plop a bunch of Seuss specials on a single Blu-ray rather than going 1-2 specials at a time. I can't justify getting a BD with a single 24 minute secial on it, or even if it has a single "bonus" special.
Two, actually: Pontoffel Pock AND Butter Battle Book, making a total of three.
(And I won't even count the odds that we'd have ever seen either of those on their own disk release...)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 28th, 2011, 12:57 am

Is that confirmed? Not too bad, then. But, Butter Battle was just on the Horton BD too... so, weird if it shows up again here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 28th, 2011, 3:18 am

They could always replay Horton Hatches The Egg again as well! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 28th, 2011, 6:45 pm

I loved the look of Blue Sky's Horton Hears a Who! .. but almost nothing else about that movie 'worked' -- for me, anyway. :?

I just watched this trailer twice, and .. I love the look of it.

And I find the hints of the 'added' story elements to be intriguing..! :o

-----------

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs went with an almost totally different main plot than the book .. and I managed to enjoy it.

The Secret of NIMH was very different from its book .. but it's one of my favorite movies, ever.

I'm willing to hope The Lorax can work some similar magic.

Because this trailer makes it obvious that the movie certainly isn't the book .. but that doesn't have to automatically be a 'bad' thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » October 29th, 2011, 12:09 am

Randall wrote:Is that confirmed? Not too bad, then. But, Butter Battle was just on the Horton BD too... so, weird if it shows up again here.
Well, they don't have much else--
The classic Jones Grinch is supposedly being repackaged with the two other DePatie-Freleng spinoffs for a "Grinch Holiday Collection", but not sure if that's going to Blu.
Now, all that leaves is for "Sneetches/Green Eggs & Ham" and "The Hoober-Bloob Highway" to be placed, and...I'm not making any predictions about whether Illumination would sink so low as to do a wacky updated GE&H, but we can make a good idea of why that special hasn't gone to Blu yet. :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2011, 3:43 am

Grinch Holidays is DVD omly.

I thought GE&H was already on the Seuess Celebration disc?

Of course if The Lorax is a big hit they're naturally going to want to do more. It's just such a shame that Cat In The Hat was so ruined, or maybe they could do it as a reboot!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » October 30th, 2011, 7:08 pm

This actually looks pretty good! I can tell a bit of the Horton influence here. A bit TOO many celebrities just for show for my taste (criminy, Zac Efrons model airplane line just makes me cringe) but Danny DeVitto and the animation are working really well.

Count me in as oen who'll be speaking for the trees- in 3D! :wink:
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by laughingoctopus » December 8th, 2011, 4:51 pm

I just saw the new theatrical trailer for this, and it looks awful to me. I love the animation and overall art style, but the jokes fell flat, and I hate Zac Efron as Ted. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by The Zany Bishojo Evalana » February 8th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Here's a string of 8 clips from the movie
I don't know about anyone else, but I am really looking forward to this movie.
[url=http://rabbithutchiscalling.blogspot.com][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78/evalana/sig_feet.png[/img][/url]