Puss In Boots

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Puss in Boots to Get His Own Movie

Post by macontosh2000 » November 19th, 2004, 9:03 am

From Comingsoon.net
Variety says that DreamWorks has hired writers Ed Decter and John Strauss to pen the animated film Puss in Boots, based on the popular Antonio Banderas-voiced character from Shrek 2. The trade says the studio is contemplating a direct-to-video release.

The storyline is unclear at this point, but Banderas is likely to return to voice Puss in Boots. Decter and Strauss wrote Disney's The Lizzie Maguire Movie and the upcoming Fox feature Rebound, from director Steve Carr. They are also writing and producing The Jane Plan at Disney.

DreamWorks Animation is also working on a third and fourth installment in the "Shrek" series. The principal voice actors are expected to return for the films, including Mike Myers and Cameron Diaz as the newlywed green ogres, Eddie Murphy as Donkey, and Banderas as Puss in Boots.

I personally hope that Puss and Boots gets his own movie (he was the only good thing is Shrek 2) but i hope it is not a direct to video release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2004, 1:26 pm

Bet you it's a backstory, and does go DTV.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 20th, 2004, 12:08 pm

It's gonna stink. Plus it won't fit with the Shrek version.

I'd much rather see the Sherman Brother's Sir Puss in Boots made. This was a film that was started in the 70's and starred Sammy Davis Jr. as Puss. The budget ran out of money and the animation was never completed, although all the recordings were done....if this Puss is Boots is made maybe wel see it made.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 20th, 2004, 12:54 pm

Special_Ed wrote:It's gonna stink. Plus it won't fit with the Shrek version. I'd much rather see the Sherman Brother's Sir Puss in Boots made.
They'll MAKE it fit the Shrek version. And who said that it was going to be the traditional story, anyway? It'll be a prequel about how he became the reknowned ogre hunter...

Even if this is a hit, there won't be the Sherman version (which brother was it, Richard or Robert?) - it'll be seen as a hit because it is "Shrek" and "DreamWorks".

If anything, the existence of another version would just confuse things...

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 20th, 2004, 1:30 pm

Both Richard and Robert did this. It;s a film Robert's son wants to see made right after Inkas.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 20th, 2004, 3:33 pm

I thought Disney had the rights to do this, because they were planning a version of PiB?

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 21st, 2004, 7:02 am

Nope. This was done in their post Disney days. It was made for an independent company who made dental films. This was to be their break out feature.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 21st, 2004, 2:54 pm

No I mean they were going to make a film version of it some time in the future! It was going to be CGI and then I heard they got really annoyed because dreamworks used the character in shrek 2.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 22nd, 2004, 2:39 am

Dum, Dum, Dum.... Katzenberg strikes again....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 23rd, 2004, 1:41 am

What's the general concensus at Pixar in regards to Shrek being a film that is largely based on poking fun at Disney? Do they think it's hilarious...rude...do they even care?
"When cartoonists draw, they should strive to create enduring images. These images are extremely important, and we have to keep growing and getting better." -Charles Schulz

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2004, 8:13 am

Check out The Guardian story link from the main page.

Gives you a fair idea of what Pixar thinks of DWs productions. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 23rd, 2004, 8:02 pm

Thanks for the head's up...i'll have to give that a look see.

So many articles...so little time

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pixar

Post by ShyViolet » December 2nd, 2004, 3:47 pm

From what I"ve read I can tell they don't like DW very much at all, at least their films. Last January Brad Bird really put down Sinbad in the EW focus on The Incredibles for new films of 2004. He said something like: "There's a school of thought among some people that if you take really well-known stars and throw some animation around them, the films succeed." It was obvious what he was referring to, of course. Lee Unkrich, one of the co-directors of Bugs Life, Monsters Inc, etc. said in an article in the British magazine Sight and Sound: (2001) "Shrek has too many referances, too much topicality. In five years no one is going to get much of what's going on."
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Dreamworks Better?

Post by Zach » August 13th, 2005, 7:44 am

I think Pixar has great movies but you can't deal with their attitude. Dreamworks did a great job with Puss In Boots (better than Pixar). Pixar didn't sign the contract to Disney this time (explains alot). Pixar is falling apart and now it is gone. Hopefully this doesn't happen to Dreamworks and other wonderful movie makers! I think the Puss In Boots movie will be a success!! - Zach88 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » August 13th, 2005, 2:47 pm

I wouldn't call Pixar dead in the water while The Incredibles is still blowing Shrek 2 out of the water for all animation awards. The fact that Shrek 2 is the all-time top grossing animated feature merely shows that DreamWorks knows how to market. Of course when Disney actually tries you know no one can match there marketing.

I do hope PiB goes through. You can tell the animators got more leeway on him than they're used to at DreamWorks. If that trend continues into this movie it could be a revolution that saves DreamWorks. Besides - who doesn't just love Banderas in that role???
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"