Puss In Boots

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by taguirre69 » August 13th, 2005, 9:42 pm

I also heard rumors that Antonio Banderas asked Madonna to be in the Puss in Boots movie. Has anyone heard any confirmation to this?

Also, the last that I knew Antonio will be in the movie but it will be a Direct to Video release.
We're dead! We're dead! We survived but we're dead!
-The Dash from The Incredibles

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 14th, 2005, 12:26 am

taguirre69 wrote:I also heard rumors that Antonio Banderas asked Madonna to be in the Puss in Boots movie. Has anyone heard any confirmation to this?
No, Madonna will not be in Puss in Boots. It was a rumor that became started to due a misunderstanding: http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003380.html.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Puss In Boots

Post by LotsoA113 » October 30th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Not sure if this is a topic yet (I tihnk all disucssion was in the Shrek board) Anywho...

Saw this yesterday. Much better than the previews suggest (DW needs to fire their marketing staff...this is the FIFTH Time in a row they've undermarketed their flicks) and some really grand animation.

One thing I liked was what I feared would happen thanks to that easter egg in Shrek 4 doesn't occur. The film isn't given a wraparound for Shrek and Donkey to burst into. This film is surprisingly distant from it's Shrek routes. No fart gags or pop uclture references..though the cast (and some warthogs!) dance to Lady GaGa at the end. Old habits die hard, much?

Antonio Banderas is fantastic in his role as the titular character as are Billy Bog Thorton and Amy Sedaris as the rougish Jack and Jill. Selma Hayek was okay, but she never really gave much to the role that any other actress couldn't have done. And Zach Galifianakis was pretty bi-polar in terms of quality...at times he was wonderful and the rest of the time he was as wooden as piece of blank wood.

A lot of action (which DID feel resciment of Guellermo Del Toro) is thrown in and it's surprisingly good! There's also some great gags (first time in 7 1/2 years I cna say I laughed heartily in a Shrek flick) and overall I felt the movie was on the better of end of the DreamWorks machine, though it never comes close to the quality of the Kung Fu Panda duology and Dragon.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 31st, 2011, 12:17 am

It was a solid film, better than you might expect for a Shrek-inspired tie-in, though not nearly as awesome as the two Lotso mentioned (HTTYD and KFP). Great to see it felt very little like a Shrek film, and it totally belonged to the kitty.

I found the voice actors fairly good, and the action was great, though I did get a little lost in the action a couple of times. Dandy music and atmosphere, too. My main issue was that stuff after the villain reveal didn't make total sense--- the plot here could have worked much better. Overall, though, my whole family liked this one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 2nd, 2011, 6:43 pm

I didn't care for it. Puss in Boots is my favourite character from the Shrek franchise, so I was looking forward to this. I thought it started off very well with the spaghetti western influence and I liked the interaction between Puss and Softpaws (excellent character animation on her, especially). However, once they introduced Humpty Dumpty and the plot got rolling, my interest started falling. Humpty was not an interesting enough character to me
And when we reach the point where we're supposed to sympathise, it's very difficult, with everything we saw him do prior to those scenes.
It felt when they started throwing in all of the fairy tale elements like the Beanstalk, it felt tacked on to me and I wanted them to return to the spaghetti western element of the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Puss In Boots

Post by ShyViolet » November 4th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Interesting article on the future of DreamWorks distribution (or possible self-distribution):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... unt-256144

They're also switching from HBO to Netflix (though not until 2013):

http://gigaom.com/video/netflix-steals- ... -from-hbo/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 5th, 2011, 12:01 am

Actually, it wasn't so much "stealing" as Katz smelling the Hulu+ money, getting a few offers from Netflix to let exclusivity boost up the streaming business, and then making it look like it was his idea by shouting "Streaming is the FUTURE!"

(And then, six months after he found out we still weren't watching KFP2, covering his rear by claiming "The bubble has busted...Streaming is dead!"
That's usually been the Dreamworks pattern so far.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Whippet Angel » November 13th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Saw it last night, and I really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting it to be amazing, just some light-hearted Dreamworks fun (which it totally was, with the added bonus of minimal pop-culture refs, and NO potty humor!).

It's about time we got a good talking cat film. We really need more of those. ^___^
Randall wrote:My main issue was that stuff after the villain reveal didn't make total sense--- the plot here could have worked much better. Overall, though, my whole family liked this one.
Yes, that was my only major gripe with the film!
It's as if the story developers completely forgot that when you have a major plot twist like that, you have to make sure that everything that happened before the reveal adds up (which it really didn't). I also didn't really buy into Humpty deciding to become good on a whim at the very last minute.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 13th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Up until "the twist" (which wasn't particularly surprising), I thought the film was pretty good. The last 15-20 minutes saw its ranking drop at least a couple of points out of 10 for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 16th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Article on the future of animation technology and DreamWorks: a tool that could make animation much quicker:

http://forwardthinking.pcmag.com/show-r ... c650FHMs8D

LOL: they spelled Antz wrong! :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 2nd, 2011, 5:29 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 2nd, 2011, 7:12 pm

DWA's future slate is kind of iffy to me. I like Dragons 2 and Peabody & Sherman. But The Croods and Turbo sound extremely, to be blunt, stupid. However, I'm genuinley anticipating Me And My Shadow, so I guess you take the good with the bad. Hasn't DWA always been like that :wink:
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 2nd, 2011, 8:39 pm

LotsoA113 wrote:DWA's future slate is kind of iffy to me. I like Dragons 2 and Peabody & Sherman. But The Croods and Turbo sound extremely, to be blunt, stupid. :
Unless there's been any improvement, or change in co-directors, early Croods word from the TAG Blog was "THIS is what happens when you let Chris Sanders direct solo, without Dean DeBlois."
And Turbo still sounds like a bad parody of CGI wannabes, that they're afraid to drop without losing "Busy production slate" face.
(Madagascar the Latest: I was told: "Russia is hot to see it." Russia likes its animal pictures, I guess.)
(Sigh...Could we teach weird foreign countries to like something in their CGI comedies BESIDES universally-translatable non-culturally-located funny critters? Maybe we wouldn't get another Ice Age movie, then, either. :roll: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » December 2nd, 2011, 8:52 pm

Normally I'd agree to the idea of making other countries more open to higher-art flicks, but with the high amount of cash those bring, even I have to admit that we should just let it be

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 3rd, 2011, 12:04 am

LotsoA113 wrote:so I guess you take the good with the bad. Hasn't DWA always been like that :wink:
No, actually, the "good" has pretty much been a recent invention for them, only in the last couple years or so. :wink: