Enchanted

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 8th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Disney DVD has been on this kick of putting the title logo 'dead-center', with clip-art/style-guide -esque groupings of characters above & below, for quite a while now .. with both their animated and live-action titles. I must say, I've never been a big fan of this layout; it 'breaks' the cover into three (or more!) separate 'chunks', so that there's nothing to really 'focus' on, composition-wise. :?

But then again, I 'repackage' almost every DVD I buy in a 'thin-pak', anyway (to conserve shelf-space) .. so I create my own covers; usually, using the movie-poster art from the film's original release. :idea:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 8th, 2008, 11:05 pm

I don't post much anymore, but I loved this movie so much I had to give my praise for it.

I was the LAST person who wanted to see this movie. A) becuase I was expecting it to be too girly, and B) i was annoyed that it wasn't the "animated princess in live action new york" that I was expecting when i first heard of the movie.

I'm glad I got dragged to it. Granted the rest of the actors are all great, but Amy Adams LIGHTS up the screen in EVERY scene she's in. I was very happy with it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2008, 6:49 am

That's so bizarre...no joke Mac, I was just thinking about where you'd gone yesterday!

Hope to see you around more often! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Dusterian » January 9th, 2008, 12:29 pm

That helped a lot Daniel, thank you! I never would have thought to look there...

Droosan, oh yes, I know what you're talking about. I don't recall that format being used for much besides the Platinum Editions, but maybe I haven't looked (or cared) about enough other Disney DVDs. I personally like the title in the middle, I mean, isn't that what you focus on? I personally like the cover being broken into sections, because then I feel like I can have more characters that way. I like covers that pack a lot into them, because there's more to look at, and it's more fun.
Last edited by Dusterian on January 9th, 2008, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2008, 3:47 pm

I'll ignore that misspelling since your a friend. ;)

Glad it worked out for you, though! I had the same problem when I was new, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 9th, 2008, 3:54 pm

I'll ignore that misspelling since your a friend.
I'll ignore that grammatical error since you're a friend. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 9th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Just seen a hi-res version of the Blu-ray art and though it's the same as the regular DVD, the squirrel and bluebird don't look anywhere as near "slapped on" when you can see it properly, though they could be doing with making this more "animated" and selling that angle more.

BLU-SPECS (TBC):
Widescreen 2.35:1, 1080p, color
Dolby Digital PCM 48 kHz, 24-bit uncompressed

The D-Files: discover hidden references to classic Disney films (BD Exclusive)
Deleted scenes
Bloopers
Three behind-the-scenes featurettes
Pip's Predicament: A Pop-Up Adventure
Interactive Game: "The D-Files" (BD-Java)

Aweeee...no commentary...I smell Disney's first Blu-double dip. Bah!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 9th, 2008, 11:31 pm

No commentary? :( First Ratatouille and now Enchanted? What's with the lack of commentary lately.

Also I really hope there are bloopers from Edward trying to do true love's kiss to Giselle near the end. I can't even imagine how many times they could have done that scene before finally getting it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Dusterian » January 9th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Daniel wrote:I'll ignore that misspelling since your a friend. ;)
Thanks. Sorry about that. Funny story..I tried to edit it, and then it said I couldn't make a post too soon after I already made one before it...why?

Anyway, the interesting thing I also wanted to add to droosan is he ofen uses the theatrical posters as covers, and that's what he's getting here as well, but he doesn't like it!

Anyway, thanks Ben for the news...I wonder if the double dip, if there is one, will have a better cover with new/never before seen art!
Last edited by Dusterian on January 10th, 2008, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 10th, 2008, 3:20 am

If a double dip happens with Blu-Ray, I'm gonna scream! Still, that stinks with the lack of commentary, was really hoping for one. :(

Dusterian, hmm, now that I don't know about. Did you try editing the regular way or with the 'quick edit'? If it happens again, might be a good idea to quote exacly what it says, so we can bring it up in the "Site Announcement" section. :) And its ok about my name, seriously!
Meg wrote:I'll ignore that grammatical error since you're a friend. :P
Hehe thanks, I think... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 10th, 2008, 3:20 am

I didn't say whether I 'liked' or 'disliked' the Enchanted DVD/BD cover art (I'm pretty 'neutral' on it, if that matters ;) .. precisely because it is essentially the same as the theatrical poster, apart from the placement of the title logo):

.. I only stated that I don't really care for Disney DVD's current tendency to place the title logo dead-center, with (essentially) separate compositions above and below. This trend may have started with the Platinum Editions, but it has definitely migrated into their live-action offerings, as well:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 10th, 2008, 6:03 am

droosan wrote: Image
I just can't stand seeing Giselle in the same posses again,it's not even that a pretty poster.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 10th, 2008, 2:06 pm

I don't get why they need to do the heavy text boxy thing. This one looks like an Aladdin clone!

Still, nice to see Disney BD covers breaking away from the right hand swoosh that's been on all of them so far.

Hey, surfnspy would know...has a commentary/in-movie experience been recorded with Kevin Lima for this or any future release of Enchanted? If "yes" (and please be honest!) then I'd say we're looking at Disney trying to squeeze money out of a slightly more than modest box office hit, which is what they normally do with a strong if not stellar performer.

Hmmm...double dipping on Blu-ray huh? Who'da thunk it? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » January 10th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Yes, the DVD will have interviews with menken/schwartz and kevin lima. I have not seen the final version of all the DVD content, but there is lots of potential material to include. I HOPE they include the alternate opening song demo! It was written years ago, when, ironically, Jon Turteltaub was attached to direct. (Interesting because he directed National Treasure--sort of our big competitor this holiday!) There is also an alternate to the Ever, Ever After end song called Enchanted that could make it to the dvd.

Ah, it is sorta bittersweet to be thinking about the dvd. It is always sad when your movie starts to migrate to 2nd run theaters. We lose another 600 or so theaters this weekend, so encourage all those who have not seen it yet in the theaters to go before it disappears! I am sure you will agree this is one to see on the big screen with good sound.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 11th, 2008, 7:50 am

Ben wrote:I don't get why they need to do the heavy text boxy thing. This one looks like an Aladdin clone!
Actually this logo looks exactly like the Cinderella PE logo (also the purple storybook-like logo from the marchandise is much better then this logo).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]