AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 24th, 2007, 4:09 am

It'll get there...! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Dusterian » December 24th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Daniel, thank you very much! I'm glad that you and Ben are agreeing with things I said, because if after writing all that everyone thought I was totally wrong, well, that would be really disappointing. In all honesty, I do sometimes wonder if Giselle didn't represent the princesses that well either because she was more naive and didn't even get angry or understand sarcasm like they could, but I feel Edward went a lot farther from the princes than Giselle went from the princesses. And then it was once suggested to me that these aren't supposed to be actual Disney fairy tale characters, but how the cynical or grown up world views them.

I'm sorry I type A LOT when I'm passionate about something I hope it's not too much, because even I don't like to read 5,000 word posts!

You know, Daniel, I really miss you on the other boards, but I don't blame you if you just don't find enough interesting stuff there lately.

I've loved Animated News for a while and I'm so glad to finally be part of it. This site is wonderful!

Ben, I try to see all sides of things so there's always a chance I'll agree with people even when I think I'm not. But I thought you said James Baxter's Andalasia scenes were actually not as good as DisneyToons' efforts, which is what I had a probelm with. I wanted to add that when it came to being on-model, that's something Enchanted was better at than any DisneyToons effort, but of course they had their own characters and designs to animate, not old Disney ones they had to make look just like how other people drew them.

As for Giselle's 2D to 3D internal growth, I have a problem with it because I feel it's trying to say all the Disney fairy tale characters are that 2D. Now, I know most people would say that's true and it's not a bad thing because Disney fairy tales are entertaining anyway, but in an adult world that values complexity and layers I would like to think people just aren't realizing how the Disney fairy tale characters are still thinkers who could get by in real life. Perhaps that's why Giselle was like an even more helpless version of a Disney princess: an actual Disney princess wouldn't have the same problems or need to change as much.

Okay I'd better stop now. But THANK YOU FOR THE WARM WELCOME! I love it here already!!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 24th, 2007, 3:51 pm

I've loved Animated News for a while and I'm so glad to finally be part of it. This site is wonderful!
Thanks for the lovely complements - you seem to be making wonderful contributions to the boards already, and I really hope you stick around! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 24th, 2007, 4:31 pm

As do I... although that's kind of a given! ;)
Dusterian wrote:I'm sorry I type A LOT when I'm passionate about something I hope it's not too much, because even I don't like to read 5,000 word posts!
Nah, not in the least. I really love reading your post, since you explain your view in such great detail!
Dusterian wrote:You know, Daniel, I really miss you on the other boards, but I don't blame you if you just don't find enough interesting stuff there lately.
Aww, thanks, that means a lot! :)

Between you and me, its not so much the lack interesting topics or what have of you, its time!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 27th, 2007, 2:27 pm

At last i seen the film :D :D :D.
Giselle is my favorite Disney princess and character with Ariel and i don't she's flat at all,she's dosn't change,she just learn more about life and understand that she need to be more cearfull.
Edward reminds me of Gaston and
i"m happy that he didn't merry Giselle,so it's againts the Shrek streotyps
Narrisa was kinda annyoing (what's the point to kill Giselle if
she dosn't love Edward anymore?
and how long she thought of make sure that Edward won't fell in love? sooner or later she'll have to give on her throne),maybe she wasn't develept enough,The Queen from Snow White was better,he dragon form was ugly.
Pip is only cute in Andalasia,in the real he's world.
Andalasia is an amazing place,i whould like to see a sequel or even a TV series (like The Little Mermaid series) about Giselle's life there.
Anyway this my faovirte Disney movie with The Little Mermaid :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 27th, 2007, 10:13 pm

Yay, glad you were finally able to see it, Once! :)

For Enchanted to be deemed your second favorite Disney film along side The Little Mermaid, says a lot and I'm happy you thoroughly enjoyed it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 28th, 2007, 3:57 am

Yeah,i really loved it :D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » December 28th, 2007, 11:21 pm

Oh man so is Enchanted out on dvd yet lol?

I did notice the second time that even though the animation looked awesome it did look a bit budgeted for what they were trying to do. does anyone know the fps they used compared to regular disney full length?

Oh and for Christmas I got a really pretty Giselle ornament. Actually I got it after Christmas for a dollar, even though it was originally 20 or something lol ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 29th, 2007, 2:41 am

For the after Christmas sale at the Disney Store? Man, that's one of things I miss the most. :(

Speaking of the DVD, surfnspy, any word if you'll be participating in the audio commentary? :) (Providing there is one, I hope!)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 29th, 2007, 1:58 pm

Foxtale wrote:I did notice the second time that even though the animation looked awesome it did look a bit budgeted for what they were trying to do. does anyone know the fps they used compared to regular disney full length?
I'm pretty sure it would have been done on twos, with specific scenes that needed ones being done at 24fps.

Actually, even the big Disney features were often done on twos in most scenes...it's usually the slower, more intricate moments that really need to be frame by frame, and there weren't any moments like that in Enchanted's animated sections that needed that attention to the lines.

I just feel it was a shame that the DisneyToon guys didn't get a chance...their traditional animation was getting <I>really</I> close to the feature output and had really clean, really detailed line work, being done at the fraction of the cost of a big Disney film.

If Buena Vista has any sense, they'll hold back the DVD until October/November next year and retain the Christmas feeling of the movie. Had this opened in the summer, I don't think it would have hit half as good, and a summer DVD is going to get awfully lost in a lot of other new and catalog releases coming out between March and August in '08.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 30th, 2007, 12:20 am

Disney has indicated they are targeting a late March DVD release to tie it in with Easter.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... Plans/1273

Suits me fine, as that's when I will likely see it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Easter makes sense. You can see the "Have an Enchanted Easter" posters now! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Dusterian » December 31st, 2007, 11:21 am

Thank you Meg and Daniel!

As for the DVD, I guess Easter's a holiday so Ben stills gets a "holiday release", but I don't think the movie is so very Christmasy. In fact, I'd say the scene in Central Park reminisces of Easter, in the colorful springtime look. But in reality, I liked "That's How You Know" and I personally don't like Easter, even though I love bright pastel colors.

I'm very curious about the cover art. I would guess they would do the theatrical poster, but I hate re-used art. I'm really hoping that if they can't dig up a different photograph of Giselle (because think about it, they only took so many of her while she was doing the role), then they'll draw new art of the animated characters. I'd want animated Narissa and Edward (and maybe Nathanial) at the top, then the middle filled with Giselle half animated half live-action (by changing a pre-existing photo of her falling, or something that looks like it) and the title Enchanted could even cover up the split between the animated and "real" her, and at the bottom is Robert and perhaps Morgan or Nancy.

That's just one of my ideas.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 31st, 2007, 2:48 pm

It would be way cool - are you listening surfnspy!? - if they did a "Night At The Museum" and went with a lenticular cover...animated that then switches to the same live-action poses when it's turned.

I want residuals on that idea, by the way... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 31st, 2007, 3:07 pm

I whould like to see animated Giselle with the pink dress and live action Giselle in wedding dress togather on the cover (maybe one side will have animated Giselle with animated character and another side with live action Giselle with live action characters),i don't want to see the poster or another picture of Giselle with animated characters as the cover.