The Black Cauldron

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 3rd, 2009, 9:31 pm

In the books, she is a princess and the third book (The Castle of Llyr) deals with Eilonwy going to the titular castle for some kind of "princess training". If Disney had ever done a DTV sequel to TBC, that would have been the book to base it on, I think.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 4th, 2009, 7:37 am

Really? thanks for telling me :D I don't think they"ll ever make a sequel (Or a cheapquel in the bad case).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 10th, 2009, 11:18 am

I was hoping this wouldve been the uncut verison of it but now Im downed. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2009, 12:01 pm

As mentioned, the "uncut" take of The Black Cauldron was never actually completed. The cuts were made during the editing process and the resulting film is what it is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 10th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Well if it was completed ben...it would be like song of the south...NEVER on DVD. But hey thats just me, This movie was a bit interesting....Im sure it wouldve done better with Pg13.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 10th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Maybe today, but back then, the PG rating is a large part of why it failed. Parents didn't want to take their kids to a dark, songless, PG movie if there was a nice, clean G rated option. Too bad too.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 11th, 2009, 5:32 pm

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I couldn't find it on my quick re-read of the thread. According to The Black Cauldron's page at Wikipedia the release date for the special edition is June 16 for the US and June 15 for the UK. No word yet on when or if it's getting a re-release in Australia. If the deleted scenes are worth it, I would like to purchase myself a new copy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2009, 11:52 am

We'll be sure to post a review on the new edition and let you know if it's worthy of an upgrade.

If you love the film, I'd say it's a yes already, just for the very clean and vibrant new HD master they're using for this release.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 12th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Yeah, I'll be getting this for that reason alone. My "Gold Classic" edition looks way too grainy.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2009, 4:13 pm

And non-anamorphic! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 12th, 2009, 9:22 pm

I will look forward to the review of the Special Edition. I adore the movie, and I know I should care about the quality but I can't muster up the effort to purchase re-releases if they are essentially the same as the old ones. Especially after the effort I went to converting my VHS collection into DVD. Plus I'm still trying to get my head around why the studios are pushing me to go Blu-Ray now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 13th, 2009, 8:26 am

I know that Disney is trying to entice people to upgrade by including a regular dvd with their bluray discs, but that won't work on me. I refuse to buy bluray until I have a bluray player and even then, I'll save it for the movies that would look really great in high def (Speed Racer comes to mind). Personally, I think this is vhs/laserdisc all over again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 13th, 2009, 12:17 pm

Of course, there's always the possibility that Disney's offering the bonus DVD of Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio now, so that just in case you don't buy your Blu player until three years from now, you won't run crying to them when the two titles are out of print and back in the Vault...

Somehow that aspect of the marketing got lost in all the "Wow, I've got a copy for car trips!" marketing, but it's certainly where it started--They've had experience with all the Platinum DVD "Why can't I buy Bambi anymore?" whiners, and they know how to prevent a reoccurrence.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2009, 3:06 pm

But the same will happen with the BD...you don't think the current BD titles will still be around in three years time do you?

Obviously there will still be old stock out there, but we'll be in the same situation with BD, with no fresh stock available.

That's the point of these DVD bundles, and Disney are making a big thing about that. It's the <I>Digital Copy</I> discs that they're pushing as playable in portable devices.

But as far as the trade and Disney's press releases are concerned, the <I>number one</I> reason they are bundling these DVDs in with the BD is <I>precisely</I> to get us to buy those packs now so that we can watch the DVD <I>now</I> and have the BD for later.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 13th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Ben wrote:But the same will happen with the BD...you don't think the current BD titles will still be around in three years time do you?
No, was referring to that we know for a FACT that Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio will not be around in January 2011.
Why?--Because they told us so.

DVD bundles caught on as "neato" enough to stock wtih Bolt and HSM3--which we can guess will still probably be around later--but the fact is, SB&P's bundles were meant to help cushion an audience that wanted to buy a BD player in 2009, but physically couldn't until after the Vault door closed.
(Mostly because you have to buy the four-figure HDTV set in order to even need one, and the horse needs to come before the cart. Not a good time to start depending on those sales.)
But as far as the trade and Disney's press releases are concerned, the <I>number one</I> reason they are bundling these DVDs in with the BD is <I>precisely</I> to get us to buy those packs now so that we can watch the DVD <I>now</I> and have the BD for later.
...YEEEESSSS!! :x (What did you think I was saying??)

If we didn't buy the first DVD-Platinums, it wasn't because we didn't have the DVD player yet, and they could use their "Grab it before it disappears back in the vault!" hi-pressure sales advertising for what it was.
Here, they're facing the fact that they can blare their "Grab it!" marketing all they want, it still won't help some of their own most loyal customers out of reach...So, help them to develop a little forward thinking, get tomorrow's sales today, and free yourself from more dopey SNL-sketch griping about Vaults and limited-time releases.