The Black Cauldron

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Black Cauldron

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2005, 2:02 pm

I mean when it first came out in 1985.

If you go to his website http://www.rogerebert.com and look the review up in the database, he gave it ***1/2 stars.

It's very interesting to read this review in lieu of what's happening to animation nowadays. He liked The Great Mouse Detective too; that's also an interesting review. It helps give you perspective.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2005, 2:32 pm

Hey, he wasn't the only one. I happen to like TBC myself. It's not one of my all-time favorites or anything, but it's certainly underrated.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Plightyear » March 22nd, 2005, 4:43 pm

Message deleted
Last edited by Plightyear on January 10th, 2007, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2005, 6:23 pm

Love the film too!

Here's my take on the film/DVD, from 2000 (wow - where the heck did five years go?!?!):

http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/43

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 22nd, 2005, 6:39 pm

Yeah, they were really down on Katzenberg for editing the film....Maybe if the DVD is ever released again he'll be on it and explain why he did it.

From the Great Mouse Detective review (by Roger Ebert, July 2, 1986) Chicago Sun-Times

What's fun is the carefree way the animators swing through their story, using the freedom of the cartoon form to blend 19th century realism with images that seem borrowed from more recent special-effects pictures. For a long time, I was down on the full-length animated efforts of Disney and others, because they didn't seem to reflect the same sense of magic and wonderment that the original animated classics always had. Who, for example, could ever equate "101 Dalmations" with "Snow White"? But now, maybe thanks to computers, animated movies are beginning to sparkle again.

NOTE: On the same bill with "The Great Mouse Detective" is "Clock Cleaners," a classic Disney cartoon with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck working on a perilous perch high above the city. The cartoon is an example of the meticulous craftsmanship and great ingenuity of the first Disney animators, who created an endless variety of situations by using the laws of gravity and physics and ladders and paint buckets.

It's a lot of fun.
Interesting what he said about computers, isn't it? :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » March 23rd, 2005, 2:05 pm

Not quite sure what you're implying Roger Ebert's review means here.

But, I'll tell you that I loved The Great Mouse Detective, and was surprised by how good it was. It it a great little secret that I know a lot of people haven't seen. Too bad for them. I have not seen the Black Cauldron yet.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 23rd, 2005, 5:22 pm

I just meant that Ebert probably never expected that computers would almost totally replace the hand-drawn method. In the Mouse Detective review, he says how "with the help of computers" animation is making a comeback, but he doesn't even realize how prophetic his words are.

Plus his brief mention of "Clock Cleaners" shows how he really loved classic, 2d animation (and how it was actually promoted rather than shunned, at least by the Disney Co.)

I first saw Mouse Detective when I was quite young, so I don't remember much. I do remember liking it, though.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 23rd, 2005, 5:30 pm

Ben wrote:Love the film too!

Here's my take on the film/DVD, from 2000 (wow - where the heck did five years go?!?!):

http://www.dvdtoons.com/reviews/43
Ben, I had no idea that you wrote for DVD Toons. They write such detailed reviews there. It must be cool to work for them.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 25th, 2005, 5:21 pm

I think at the time it definitely reminded people of the glory days at Disney. Shaping up for stuff like The Little Mermaid.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 25th, 2005, 6:25 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I had no idea that you wrote for DVD Toons. They write such detailed reviews there.
Thanks - we try to cover a film from an animation perspective as well as deliver the details on the extras. All too often a DVD review will simply highlight the film (which most will have seen) and then skimp over the extras. Since these are why many people add titles to their collections, why not go in-depth on these supplemental features too?

Pretty fun "working" for the site: we get the occasional freebie, though most of it is written from our own collections and for the love of it. Thanks for your compliments, and keep checking back for new reviews! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Black Cauldron is being re-released

Post by Neal » January 13th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Disney's imported, dubbed film "The Secret of the Magic Gourd " is coming to DVD on January 27th. One of the previews is for a 'The Black Cauldron: Special Edition'. This was revealed on the Hi-Def Digest forums:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray ... ost1376273
Last edited by Neal on January 13th, 2009, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2009, 11:15 pm

"Page not found", but it doesn't surprise me. A new game on the cards, I bet!

Yay. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » January 13th, 2009, 11:35 pm

Woops! :roll: I fixed it now.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 14th, 2009, 1:15 am

Gee, it's a good thing I never got around to picking up the dvd. Now I'll be able to get a better one. Yay! I'm sure I've said before I love the Prydain books, so naturally, The Black Cauldron is a personal favorite despite it's flaws.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 14th, 2009, 6:00 am

Is this for real? :shock: I never thought it will be released someday but that's great to hear :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]