Inside Out

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Inside Out

Post by EricJ » January 14th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Ben wrote:I think it *was* robbed, but I am not surprised. It seemed to lose a lot of momentum recently.
So, was it our zombified Globe-worship that caused it ("No, no, it says right here, 'No Golden Globe Picture nomination for Inside Out!...Well, that's it, game over, let's go home!"), or did we pretty well snub ourselves out of any more animated-Picture legitimacy for now till kingdom-come, after we got so gushy about Beauty & the Beast the first time and pestered them for it to happen again for most of the entire 90's?

Of B&B, TS3 and Inside Out, I know which one deserved to win Best Picture, and if it was between just B&B and Inside, hell yeah, I know which one deserved it.

(And if Mad Max does take home a thoroughly undeserved win, just for any sentimental "Yeah, finally, a real movie!" votes, and lingering frustrations to protest last year's obscurities, it'll be a bit of an extra slap in the face to Inside, but at least proves that the hard work was not in vain, and the revolution we were expecting Inside's win to cause can still happen in the hearts of next year's voters.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 14th, 2016, 8:31 pm

I wasn't as big a fan of Inside Out as everyone else. But I know a lot of people were thinking it was best Picture worthy. My problem is with the Academy going to up to 10 nominations. The reason we were given was so that more popular movies would be nominated. But in the end they're getting snubbed and more arthouse movies that most people have never seen are getting those spots. If that's going to be the case I'd rather we go back to 5 nominations.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 14th, 2016, 10:56 pm

James wrote:I wasn't as big a fan of Inside Out as everyone else. But I know a lot of people were thinking it was best Picture worthy. My problem is with the Academy going to up to 10 nominations. The reason we were given was so that more popular movies would be nominated. But in the end they're getting snubbed and more arthouse movies that most people have never seen are getting those spots. If that's going to be the case I'd rather we go back to 5 nominations.
Actually, it had to do with quotas:
Once the Best Animated category was invented, animated movies couldn't be voted on for Best Picture--But after everyone complained about Wall-E's shutout, and that it would've kicked the pants off of "the Indian movie", the ten-nomination rule was changed, which among other obscure quota regulations, allowed voters one vote to nominate an animated Picture, if they wanted to use it. They did, and we got Up and TS3 for Picture nominees.
Back in March, they originally announced they were going back to five after last year's frustration, but in late summer they suddenly decided to keep the ten-nominations this year, just in case there would be an animated nominee. Or, as we all believed at the time, a win. :x

Well, looks like we can go back to five now, after all. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 15th, 2016, 2:53 am

Eric I suggest you read this article that explains how Best Picture nominations are determined

http://www.cinemasight.com/how-to-count ... e-ballots/

You will notice there is no talk of a quota vote for animated movies or a 'ban' (like The Golden Globes). Animated movies are just like Foreign Language Films. They can be nominated for Best Picture if they get enough votes. Yes, since the creation of the category, there probably has been a creation of a 'ghetto' where people may feel getting nommed in BAF is good enough but if someone wants to fill out their nomination ballot with all animated films then they are entitled to do so and still have their choices counted and not dismissed.

The big issue, from my understanding, with animated films and the Oscar body is that many people in the Academy don't view animated films as 'real' movies because they don't involve actors running around on the screen so therefore do not employ people from all those guilds and unions and so they can't possibly reward a film that doesn't support the various guilds. The other big issue is that from an American viewpoint animation still equals family entertainment And look at the stats to see how often a family film (PG or G) have been nominated for Best Picture. So not only does something like Inside Out have to overcome any animation 'discrimination' from the voting body but they also have the added whammy of having a rating less than PG-13 applied to it to overcome.

AV Team
AV Team

Inside Out, BoJack Horseman animated Critic's Choice winners

Post by Dan » January 18th, 2016, 11:47 am

At last night's Critic's Choice Awards, Inside Out and BoJack Horseman were the winners of the animation awards. Inside Out for Best Animated Feature and BoJack Horseman for Best Animation Series.

The Critic's Choice Awards is a key stop on the road to the Oscars. Mad Max: Fury Road cleaned up on the majority of the technical awards, including Visual Effects.

A couple of the big differences between CC and the Golden Globes was in Best Picture, which went to Spotlight, Best Supporting Actress, which went to Alicia Vikander for The Danish Girl, and Best Director, which interestingly went to George Miller for Mad Max: Fury Road.

Complete List of Winners: http://www.thewrap.com/critics-choice-a ... ting-live/

AV Team
AV Team

Inside Out wins Producers Guild animation award

Post by Dan » January 25th, 2016, 10:27 am

Inside Out continues to add to its accolades by winning the Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures for producer Jonas Rivera.

Source: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... rs-w162402

On the television side, Sesame Street won Outstanding Children's Program.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 9th, 2022, 8:50 pm

Sequel confirmed:
D23@DisneyD23
Oh JOY! Amy Poehler is back to star in Inside Out 2. Directed by Kelsey Mann, produced by Mark Nielsen, and written by Meg LeFauve, Disney and Pixar’s Inside Out 2 releases Summer 2024.

Hmm.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 9th, 2022, 9:00 pm

There's plenty of places a sequel could go. My only concern is Docter not directing.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 10th, 2022, 1:21 am

"What's this button? 'Puberty'?"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2022, 3:44 am

Outside In? :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 10th, 2022, 9:21 am

This is a sequel that could actually work. And as I rate the original extremely high in the Pixar pantheon, I do hope the sequel manages to be great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 10th, 2022, 11:48 am

More info:
Riley is now a teenager and there are new emotions joining the mix.
But we've already seen the inside of Riley's parents and they didn't have additional emotions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 10th, 2022, 6:44 pm

Yeah, plus I’m not so crazy about seeing Riley as a teen…the great thing about the original IO is that with the ending we’re left to IMAGINE what Riley’s future “adventures” would be like.

Not EVERYTHING has to be shown/told to us no matter what. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 11th, 2022, 1:00 am

Apparently, that was due to Fear and Disgust's actors not returning over salary--
But, as we know from our own teen years, even those emotions are now ruled by the newly emerged one: Drama.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 11th, 2022, 1:10 am

I don't think any casting news was announced in that regard.

I'm sure Kaling and Hader won't be hard to bring back like at all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."