Disney Planning Live Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney Planning Live Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers Movie

Post by Daniel » February 15th, 2022, 11:46 am

Teaser for the movie:

Not at all what I was expecting, but I'm sold. Looks absolutely bonkers! Concept is pretty cool. Hate the song they used, though. Hilarious that Dale got the CGI surgery upgrade, very on brand for him. Shame they cheapened out on the visuals and have that quasi-fake animation for the hand-drawn portion. Still, looks like loads of fun and it's nice to see Roger Rabbit again!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 15th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Daniel wrote:
February 15th, 2022, 11:46 am
Concept is pretty cool.
No, Concept looks like they took the CGI-hybrid cash-in of the Alvin movies, Boomer Roger-Rabbit sentimentality, self-aware "Famous TV characters in the real-world" deconstruction of Rocky & Bullwinkle, and the "Reunion thirty years after they hit the skids" celebrity-hating pop-deconstruction of the '11 Muppets movie (Monty's had 12-step for his cheese addiction, yukkity-yuk!), didn't know which one to do, threw them ALL into one big blender, and hoped hipster nostalgia-shaming would come out.

For example: Why do Chip & Dale not have chipmunk voices? Because A) then they wouldn't sound "wisecracking" enough for hipness, and B) then we wouldn't be able to tell which actors were voicing them.

Now, remember when I made that "confusing word-salad" complaint about why toons over the last near-40 years had been "hijacked" by animators sniping animator-industry jokes at other animation in the past that embarrassed them, for reasons that only professional industry animators would care about?

And, oh, don't blink, or you'll miss the timely Cats: the Movie in-joke, also hanging around the same Alley of Broken CGI Dreams!

Sheesh, think this script's been around since the Alvin 00's? That's like doing a Jurassic Park in-joke in the...oh, wait. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 15th, 2022, 7:19 pm

If 2011 The Muppets of all things was "celebrity shaming" and "nostalgia hating," then I must've really not been watching the same movie...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 15th, 2022, 7:48 pm

You probably missed the real Henson performers lodging a complaint that got one more tone-down rewrite on the '11 Muppets script:
They objected loudly to the tone of the script that suggested the Muppet Show was an "ancient 70's relic" that had been "forgotten"--
And, like Chip & Dale's "Real Hollywood Story", the similar celebrity-parody that Kermit & Co. had broken up and went off the air over issues of Kermit's ego behind the scenes.

Like the '11 Muppets, Rocky & Bullwinkle, the first half hour of the Dora the Explorer movie, and the Fat Albert movie before Bill Cosby demanded his own rewrite, you can usually guess what happens when hip grownups try to take on vintage kids' property.

(And okay, so a moment of passion got my complaint about the Beowulf joke cut, but seriously...I'm not a professional CGI animator, I'm OVER the whole "Robert Zemeckis" thing, already!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2022, 2:55 pm

I remember when the old guard and supposed insiders spoke out. That was in 2011, mere weeks before the film opened up. Unless there are earlier reputable sources, there is no possible way they caused another rewrite.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 16th, 2022, 5:48 pm

Looks like wb and disney might have teamed up for this film! MC scat cat is made by both!

Dave talks about--

cameos--

scrooge
aladdin
treasure planet kid
three pigs
paula abdul and mc scatkat
my little ponys
roger rabbit
mighty mouse (on a can)
Felix the cat (as a doll)
monster is mixed of wreck it ralph, robin hood and aristicats.
Indiana jones
cats film version

Comic cosplayers

Harry potter
batman
joker
harley
boret
pee wee
it
super mario
charlie brown

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 16th, 2022, 10:48 pm

Aladdin isn't in that trailer, I don't know who that was but it certainly wasn't Aladdin.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 17th, 2022, 1:48 am

"When a former cast mate mysteriously disappears, Chip and Dale must repair their broken friendship and take on their Rescue Rangers personas once again to save their friend's life."

Okay, that would explain:
A) who the "surprise" villain is going to turn out to be in the climax, and
B) why we haven't heard anything about Gadget yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 17th, 2022, 3:31 am

Okay, so who's the surprise villain…?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 17th, 2022, 7:18 pm

Oh, I don't know, maybe some technological genius who, as we find out from their monologue, had worked him/herself up to high-tech superpower after his/her last job ended too suddenly, and realized s/he was tired of being nice and seeing everyone else take the credit?

Like I said, it's probably going to be some surprise twist, that nudges us with its pop-nostalgic hipness...I'd put twenty bucks on the gag, if I wasn't spent out after the Super Bowl.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 18th, 2022, 1:44 am

Yeah, no, that won't happen.

She's the most popular character on the show. That. Won't. Happen.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2022, 3:12 am

Two words: Jim. Phelps.

Yeah, and that one *still* hurts!

Hmmm…could be! Interesting choice if they do. Of course, she won’t really be "bad" bad, and "the power of friendship" will bring her around by the end and she'll re-team with them to stop whatever diabolical plan she may have put into action ("oh my, what have I done!?") so that they can go on as a team for whatever follow-ups D+ has planned. After all, this thing does look nuts enough to subvert things as wacky as possible…

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 18th, 2022, 3:31 am

I wonder how the first M:I would've done if everyone had internet at the time it came out with that kind of plot twist. Then again, it's not like the original TV series exactly has shelf life these days, despite the continued popularity of the Cruise extravaganzas (which are still, amazingly, pretty great).

But Gadget has a very, shall we say, "loyal" internet following. If it were anyone it would be Monetary Jack, not one of Disney's strongest female characters at a time when their TV shows had very few of them. I just don't see them risking that kind of fan wrath on a movie that's clearly meant to be silly.

So yeah, sticking with it won't happen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 18th, 2022, 4:03 am

Dacey wrote:
February 18th, 2022, 3:31 am
I wonder how the first M:I would've done if everyone had internet at the time it came out with that kind of plot twist.
But Gadget has a very, shall we say, "loyal" internet following. If it were anyone it would be Monetary Jack, not one of Disney's strongest female characters at a time when their TV shows had very few of them. I just don't see them risking that kind of fan wrath on a movie that's clearly meant to be silly.
I do, if they're going for what they delusion is a "contemporary" feminist joke about female vintage-TV roles, insincerely trying to appeal to the Boomers. (Eg. "Do you know what it's like to say 'Golly' for three years??") I already predicted the "cheese rehab" joke for Monty. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with Incredibles 2's twist, which I thought I had expunged from my subconscious.
And let's be honest, in hindsight, did you expect any OTHER ending to Mission: Impossible, and that was supposed to be serious?

At least we can give credit to the Fiennes-Thurman "Avengers" movie and the Steve Carrell "Get Smart" movie for writing in instantly suspicious new characters, and yes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 19th, 2022, 2:19 pm

Could be someone in plain sight, someone you least expect. I could see it being Roger Rabbit...