Shrek 5 on the way?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Shrek 5 on the way?

Post by Dacey » February 24th, 2014, 11:47 pm

I'll try to get this on the news page tomorrow morning. Despite the series "ending" with Shrek Forever After, Katzenberg is certain they'll be "another chapter" for the jolly green giant:

http://collider.com/shrek-5-sequel-attr ... adventure/
Last edited by Dacey on February 25th, 2014, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Shrek 5 on the way?

Post by ShyViolet » February 25th, 2014, 9:31 am

Oh Lord...that's just too much. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2014, 10:30 am

Is it me, or is there no link?

Just the word "disingenuous", which is fairly apt! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 25th, 2014, 11:43 am

Ya know, it's kinda funny. When Shrek The Third came out, I wished they'd stopped the series at two. Then, when I saw the fourth one, I was so impressed with how much of an improvement it was that I was actually kind of bummed it was the last because now that they've introduced an entire community of ogres, I wanted to see more of them. Maybe now we will.
Last edited by eddievalient on February 25th, 2014, 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 25th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Whoops! :oops:

Fixing now.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 25th, 2014, 8:55 pm

They should have stopped after 2 or even 1. The theme of "beauty is on the inside" was thoroughly dealt with in both those movies. Third was about nothing, Forever After had some good moments (despite a bored-sounding Cameron Diaz) particularly Rumple, and the love story, despite being rehashed for the fourth time, actually had some heart. As for the Ogres, I never really took to them. They could have been fun but to me there was something incredibly bland about them (probably from, once again, bored-sounding voice actors.) It's not 2001 anymore and the whole "fractured fairy tale" thing has come and gone. Enough is enough! :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 25th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Shreks are pretty easy to rank for me...

#1 Shrek 2
#2 Shrek
#3 Shrek Forever After

There is no Shrek the Third.

;)

(Seriously, though, Shrek the Third isn't that bad. Oddly enough, I usually laugh a lot when I watch it...but still find it unsatisfying. Doesn't make sense, really)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 26th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Basically, they'll be making it up out of "everything they thought we liked about the previous films", since they pretty much used up all their original plans of making Shrek 3-6 as a "continuing arc".
(S4 was originally going to have Shrek help Prince Artie get married, and then find out he was going to have kids of his own, S5 was going to be new-daddy chaos, and 6 would have been the Rumpel-wrapup.)

At this point, it's Katz coming to terms that the studio could not be put on the shoulders of Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda as hoped. Well, get used to another disillusionment...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 26th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Well actually both franchises have done quite well, especially KFP, which succeeded both commercially and especially critically. Shrek might be a "fossil" by now but the Kung fu panda franchise is still very much alive.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 26th, 2014, 3:37 pm

I'm amazed at all of the story meetings Eric must've gone to, considering he knew the six film plan for the franchise, which wasn't revealed anywhere else on the internet before today. He and JK must be besties.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 27th, 2014, 1:54 am

Dacey wrote:I'm amazed at all of the story meetings Eric must've gone to, considering he knew the six film plan for the franchise, which wasn't revealed anywhere else on the internet before today. He and JK must be besties.
Oh, it was revealed--back when they were press-interview bragging about their five-year plans in anticipation of the "hit" Third, and (snicker!) thought they would live to make them--but been so long now, darned if I can remember where. AICN, maybe.
Third's first sneak preview ended up being a surprise disaster with the audience, Artie lost his long-term future with the studio, and they took it back and retooled the series to cut to the new-baby chase as soon as possible.

(Oh, and the #4 "Artie gets married" plot would've been a parody of the Little Mermaid. Yuk yuk.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2014, 8:19 am

As much as I've liked the Shreks, I've kind of not "liked" them either. They make me laugh, but it took me ages to finally find the first one entertaining (it seemed just like a lot of shouting to me, and it was only in repeat viewings that I knew what was coming and switch off and on to the good stuff), while the second one was almost genius.

I think possibly it should have ended there: two perfectly fine films that said what they needed to say and got JK's Disney funk out of him (even if Shrek ended up being the very thing it wanted to poke a stick at). The third film is just risible...totally lost without any kind of plot, and although the fourth works very, very hard to make that back up, there's still that stench of an awful, awful, badly plotted third outing in there. Nevertheless, the fourth is a pretty good way to wrap things up, and I agree that the third should just be forgotten.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 2nd, 2014, 8:10 am

Ben wrote:As much as I've liked the Shreks, I've kind of not "liked" them either. They make me laugh, but it took me ages to finally find the first one entertaining (it seemed just like a lot of shouting to me, and it was only in repeat viewings that I knew what was coming and switch off and on to the good stuff), while the second one was almost genius.
I think possibly it should have ended there: two perfectly fine films that said what they needed to say and got JK's Disney funk out of him (even if Shrek ended up being the very thing it wanted to poke a stick at).
The first film (and none of the others) had Roger S.H. Schulman as co-writer, who had co-created the "ALFTales" Saturday-morning series, that was the hilariously hip-referenced fairytale parody that Shrek 1 wanted to be, without the hostility-issues ex-Disney-employee bile.
(The "Dating game" magic-mirror scene, for one, plays so exactly with the deadpan comic rhythm of a classic ALFTales cartoon from '88, you can almost hear the character voices.)

After that, Katz basically realized that only the future Frozen-girl feminists were the one who responded to all the anti-princess jokes, and pitched Shrek 2 and onwards to the chick audience who didn't mind a little immature gender-card schoolyard "Disney corrupts our free daughters!" meanness once in a while....Doted on it, in fact.
Once the series believed it had a "message", it careened downhill fast.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 2nd, 2014, 5:27 pm

:roll:

I'd like to use a sleepy smiley, but one wasn't available. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2014, 5:33 pm

EricJ wrote: The first film (and none of the others) had Roger S.H. Schulman as co-writer, who had co-created the "ALFTales" Saturday-morning series, that was the hilariously hip-referenced fairytale parody that Shrek 1 wanted to be, without the hostility-issues ex-Disney-employee bile.
(The "Dating game" magic-mirror scene, for one, plays so exactly with the deadpan comic rhythm of a classic ALFTales cartoon from '88, you can almost hear the character voices.)
Actually much of the essence of the first Shrek, despite the anti-Disney bitterness, came from the children's book "Shrek!" on which it was based. Shrek's moodiness, need to be alone and happiness being "ugly" was very much a Steig reference.
EricJ wrote: Once the series believed it had a "message", it careened downhill fast.
The series had a message from the start: Beauty is skin deep and even with all our quirks there is beauty in everyone. The second film basically reiterated this, but did it just as well if not better than the first.