AV Forum Member

Re: DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Post by Daniel » October 29th, 2021, 6:21 pm

Guns, basically. Too violent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 29th, 2021, 6:49 pm

The first time I ever saw Make Mine Music was on The Disney Channel in the 1980s .. commercial-free, with "The Martins And The Coys" intact.

In the 1990s, I bought a japanese Laserdisc import of MMM, which also had all ten segments. I sold that LD on eBay, several years ago. :|

There's a bunch of wonderful stuff in the remaining nine segments, so I'll still be buying this Blu-ray edition .. but it's a shame Disney couldn't see its way clear to finally release the entire movie on North American home video. I'd thought the fact that this disc wouldn't be on store shelves gave them the perfect opportunity to do so. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2021, 7:06 pm

Yep. It’s a shame this didn’t come uncut — and quite a surprise, actually, given the reasons Droo described and because we got an uncut Saludos Amigos this way too — but I know Rand will be pleased to have, I think, the uncut UK DVD, while I also have the film uncut from another source. Real shame though…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 29th, 2021, 9:07 pm

This is really maddening and upsetting (in a "first world problems" kind of way).

How stupid, asinine, and very disappointing. I'm not sure I'll bother now--- haven't decided. But I don't even see the point of putting it on Blu-ray like that, mutilated and incomplete. Such rubbish!!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 29th, 2021, 10:33 pm

"All The Cats Join In" is my favorite segment from any of the 1940s package features. 8)

As an Andrews Sisters fan, I'm fond of "Johnny Fedora and Alice BlueBonnet", as well. :)

.. and, of course, "Peter And The Wolf" and "Casey At The Bat" are both 'all-time' top Disney classics.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 30th, 2021, 2:02 am

True, true.... but I'm still mad.

Instead of having 90% of a classic piece of animation history, we should have gotten the whole thing. Just frustrating.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 30th, 2021, 3:44 am

Yes, it is dumb. And we could protest by not buying it. But would that change anything?

True, Disney did respond to calls that The Black Hole was missing its overture, which could have so easily been dismissed by them as being intentional. Who got that notification going? Did they use the wrong master here and actually intend for TM&TCs to be included? What does Robert Harris say about all this? Is it worth letting those people know and amplifying our disappointment, the same way as The Black Hole message got through?

Would it make a difference? Could Disney offer "upgraded" discs to those that request them, as they did with BH? Possibly, but I’m not going to let this (totally) ruin my enjoyment of the other 90% of a fine film with so many excellent other sequences.

And, yes, I love All The Cats too! Not only the unique visual style (predating UPA by a stretch), but I also have a great 1940s Disney standards album with the original recording, and that often gets a play in the car. "Hop…in the old jalop…!" :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 30th, 2021, 9:59 am

Mutter, grumble....

Yeah, I'll be buying it, too, dangit. I still love the other sequences, and it'll be nice to have those in HD. But this is so, so dumb.

It just makes no sense. It's there on the UK DVD (though the quality ain't great)! They let us watch Dumbo and Peter Pan unaltered (thank goodness), but eliminate a funny hillbilly cartoon?!? And this, on a disc that only collectors will want anyway.

The overture in The Black Hole wasn't missing from the disc, in fact; it was there, but there was a mastering error that kept the overture from playing. Unless the elimination of the first sequence of MMM was an error, there won't be a "correction" disc forthcoming. No, this was likely intentional, and Disney wants to keep TM&TCs out of the public eye - at least in the USA. This seems to apply mostly to the US, where gun violence is such an issue and a political football. It's just so weird that the gun issue carries more weight than the racist depictions of native Americans in Peter Pan.

Oh, and then there's the omitting of the frame from All the Cats, too. I'm less bothered about one naughty frame, but it's still dumb and regrettable, too.

I'm writing DMC, though it likely won't help.

Mutter, grumble....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 30th, 2021, 3:08 pm

Seems like a reasonable compromise would be to offer the uncut version as a bonus feature buried in a sub menu. Little kids aren’t going to dig through those but adults get the full feature. With branching, you’d still get to have full video quality too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 30th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Ben wrote:
October 30th, 2021, 3:44 am
And, yes, I love All The Cats too! Not only the unique visual style (predating UPA by a stretch), but I also have a great 1940s Disney standards album with the original recording, and that often gets a play in the car. "Hop…in the old jalop…!" :)
Although every time I hear Benny Goodman with Disney animation together, I keep picturing Benny as the Pied Piper from Warner's "Book Revue", with a mile of rats shouting "....YEAH, BENNY!!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 31st, 2021, 2:10 pm

"Yay Benny!" more like it. Genius short.

This is still disappointing. All that waiting and for nothing. Seriously, it has nothing going for it now. HD alone is not worth it. Maybe now it can be added to Disney+...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 31st, 2021, 2:13 pm

Daniel wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 2:10 pm
"Yay Benny!" more like it. Genius short.
I always wondered whether it was "Yay", but I expected you to Predatorily Nitpick that I didn't properly refer to Goodman as "The Pie-Eyed Piper".

And yeah, for a while, seemed like the Club Exclusives were fixing things for the vault, back when they weren't simply up-sampling their Gold DVD's.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2021, 2:51 pm

Well, thankfully, none of the Blus could ever be accused of merely upsampling. Especially their Gold DVD's…what?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 31st, 2021, 3:33 pm

Walt Disney Gold Classic Collection, probably.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2021, 8:00 pm

No, no…I was aiming at something else there… ;)