DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Glad they didn’t hold back Navigator until this happens, but…

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 1235014407

Okay, so they obviously have to update the kid to now being female, just to please Eric, but just as long as they get Paul Reubens back… :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 15th, 2021, 7:35 pm

Flight of the Bumblebee, apparently.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2021, 3:15 am

"Compliance!"

Also, as hoped for and somewhat predicted, from the Bits today:
Moving on, we forgot to mention these the other day when we talked about the new Disney Movie Club Blu-rays, but also coming to BD from DMC are the animated classics Make Mine Music and Melody Time. And this completes the release of the studios’ animated classics on the format.
Yay! Goofy was uncut on Saludos Amigos, and we heard rumors that Music had been restored uncut, so here’s hopin' that we get these as intended. I’d be surprised if these weren’t announced next, or for the end of the year, so you might just want to hold off on that order, Rand m'boy!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 16th, 2021, 5:30 am

:shock: 8) :D :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 16th, 2021, 9:28 am

It all.... seems too good to be true!

Well, that'll call it then. My collection is about to finally be complete!

I am a little suspicious of the news, though. Bill's never had advance notice of DMC titles before. So where did the info come from?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2021, 11:26 am

His original post names a source, though once or twice he *has* indicated "Disney are working on…" long before they make their DMC debuts. He was touting 20,000 Leagues back when it looked like it might have even got a wide release, before eventually revealing it would be a DMC title.

Either way, I’m not suspicious at all and would be remarkably *astounded* if these two titles *didn't* come out this way. I might have preferred a double-feature a la Fun/Fancy Free & Ichabod/Mr Toad, and Saludos & Caballeros, but I’d be just as okay with two singles. This is definitely coming, hopefully as I had a hunch, for November/Christmas. :D

As for being complete, there’s still that one that none of us have "officially"…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 16th, 2021, 1:02 pm

It's legit. A member on Blu-ray.com pre-ordered via phone and posted about it. They will be out in November. Very, very exiting news!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Called it! So happy! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 16th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Alrighty then! I'll hold off my DMC order until then. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 16th, 2021, 8:54 pm

Ben wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 11:26 am
As for being complete, there’s still that one that none of us have "officially"…
Yes, having Victory Through Air Power on Blu-ray would be the icing on the cak... Oh. Not THAT one...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 16th, 2021, 9:34 pm

Randall wrote:
September 16th, 2021, 8:54 pm
Yes, having Victory Through Air Power on Blu-ray would be the icing on the cak... Oh. Not THAT one...?
No, not the one we all bought on DVD when they double-printed the WWII Disney Treasures set. :mrgreen:

(There! I finally got to BenDacey someone else! Not that I'm proud of it, you understand.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 16th, 2021, 9:44 pm

We still need mickeys birthday party show movie also. It was released as a follow up to many adventures of winnie the pooh in 1978 and was a double bill with the first davy crockett movie. It got a vhs release in some countries but no dvd release at all as far as i know. It's made the same as the pooh clip movie so not sure why pooh was made canon and this wasn't.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2021, 1:28 am

I have that Mickey film on VHS, and a great little movie it is, especially the first half, which has new animation for the Soundtrack from Fantasia, who plays "host". The second half is just a collection of four or five shorts, one after the other, but it’s still a nice tribute film.

There is also the pre-Show White "let's try and see how a feature-length cartoon runs" Academy Award Revue Of Walt Disney Cartoons compilation in 1937 and reissue editions that added cartoons up to 1941, the 1955 Music Land compilation feature that combines sequences from Make Mine Music and Melody Time to fulfil Walt's contract with RKO for one last film, and a feature-length version of Disneyland episode The Hunting Instinct, which got theatrical distribution. There are also many, many, many compilation features that, while they would become early home video mainstays, were actually theatrically released around the world, sometimes with new linking material, such as Donald Duck Goes West, or Donald Duck's Frantic Antics, some of which I also used to have on VHS.

Yeah, there’s still a whole bunch of Disney features we don't have…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 17th, 2021, 2:03 am

I think I've mentioned it here before, elsewhere on the forum .. but I recall reading an animation history book that categorized So Dear To My Heart as being among Disney's animated features .. though, that list was published back in the 1970s.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2021, 5:09 am

Victory Thru Air Power, Reluctant Dragon, SOTS, So Dear, Poppins, Hunting Instinct (yes, a weird one I know), Bedknobs and Pete's Dragon were all included in the animated film lineup up until the big pre-Black Cauldron Katzenberg shake up that saw them reshuffle things around to make that the new No. 25.

Things had gotten pretty shaky by then: a removal of the Package Features meant that, in the opening commemoration of 1981's Once Upon A Mouse, The Fox And The Hound had been designated only the twentieth animated feature, so we really kind of owe it to Katzenberg for coming in and rearranging the list to put the fully-animated Package films back in, though he took out the hybrid films, making Cauldron No. 25, in the list that has stuck ever since.

There are still some discrepancies, though: in the UK, Dinosaur isn’t counted and they put The Wild there in its place. Otherwise, the list has kind of resolved itself, although because they were included at one time, and because they feature Walt Disney feature animation within them and share those core values, I still shelve all of those films together with my Disney animateds, along with the Pixars, especially now the lines between them all have become increasingly blurrier and blurrier.

If it’s Disney and it’s animated, it goes in the Disney section. I also include associated titles such as documentaries on Disney Animation with those films; even Tron is in there with my WDFA titles!