DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Post by droosan » November 6th, 2021, 12:03 pm

Ben wrote:
November 6th, 2021, 4:09 am
Hopefully it makes them think and offer a replacement. Hopefully it does not make them think "enough of this" and cancel the release. In a way, it would be cool to have both versions as an uberfan, just for historical sake and to see how well they disguised the changes.
The most notable 'change' made to MMM is that the 'sub-title' of the main title card reads "A Musical Fantasy in Nine Parts," instead of the original "A Musical Fantasy in Ten Parts."

.. and the missing frames of the girl hopping out of the shower in "All The Cats Join In" .. which can't be discerned at 24fps, anyway. Still, Disney won't put that back in. :wink:

addendum: Just read Disney Wiki's MMM entry, which states that the showering girl's butt was also 'digitally altered' to be smaller .. so, I guess there's that, too. :roll: :twisted: :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 6th, 2021, 2:00 pm

As if her side boobies weren't enough! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 9th, 2021, 11:39 am

Looks like they've made the marketing more clear:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 9th, 2021, 2:36 pm

So here's the weird thing: there must be *three* versions of MMM in existence!

The original release, with ten segments and voluptuous teens.

The "restored" release, losing the opening segment and the voluptuous teens.

BUT…there also seems to be a quasi-in the middle release that retains all ten sequences but erases the voluptuous teen…!?!!?

So I checked the version I have, which I believe to be a rip of the "uncut" Uk DVD. I was checking to see and make sure that I did have a copy of the uncut ten sequences somewhere in my archives, so was pleased to see that the opening titles do list ten segments. Out of interest, I went to All The Cats Join In to see if the voluptuous teen was, er, "intact", but…no! She’s been "erased" just as on the right side of the frame examples above.

So, what this tells us is that Disney, long after the theatrical release, and likely after the initial home video issue, censored the film but, at that point, left all ten sequences in, and then later fully restored the film, but cut the opening segment at that time and did not reinstate the teen's original curves.

I wager the first change was made in the 90s, and the second in the 2000s, when the decision was made to lose The Martins And The Coys, and change the main titles to reflect the changes in cast and number of sequences.

Interesting, though, that even the "uncut" version isn’t entirely censored-free. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 9th, 2021, 3:06 pm

I believe only the Japanese LaserDisc is fully uncensored.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 10th, 2021, 2:37 am

The japanese Laserdisc of MMM is uncensored .. but it also has 'burned in' japanese subtitles for the english lyrics, throughout the movie; they're not 'overlay' subtitles which can be switched on & off .. that capability only came along with DVDs.

I owned that LD for many years, but I sold it when I liquidated my entire LD collection, about ten years ago. It fetched a rather nice price, IIRC. 8)

In the broadcasts of MMM which aired on The Disney Channel in the 1980s, "The Martins and the Coys" was certainly the opening number .. I've no way to confirm that the 'Freddy Moore' girl's curves were intact, then, though.

Perhaps -- if the 'edit' of the girl occurred at that time -- that 'broadcast version' might've been the source for the UK DVD that Ben mentions above.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2021, 7:07 am

Mmm…I'm not sure. I do have an off-air VHS from the early 90s that aired here in a wonderful weekend of rare Disney programming on Channel Four, hosted by historian Brian Sibley. He opened the vaults for several wartime films, The Reluctant Dragon, and the then-hardly seen package features, with tons of background context sprinkled throughout (think something like the Maltin intros and pieces on the Treasures sets, clearly an inspiration).

I was lucky to have my first edit setup then, so recorded it all on SuperVHS and kept the tapes safe. I’ll need to have a check and see what version played, but I’ve a feeling it’s the completely uncut one: I know Martins/Coys was there, and I’d expect the curves would be too, or else I have them intact on an even older standard VHS recording.

Obviously, the change to Freddie's girl is less an important one — and hardly if even noticeable in movement — than the removal of a whole segment AND the altering of the text in the credits (which is certainly *not* original or as intended), so I could have perhaps lived with the sanitising of the girl (as ultimately pointless as that is anyway), but the missing segment is too unfortunate, even if it’s now been this way for over a couple of decades. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » December 18th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Anniversary Edition (Club Exclusive) Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Code
G ● 1937
|
Club Price $24.99
Save $4.96
Regular Price $29.95

Rating: G
Available to own 3/22/22.

Disney Movie Club Exclusive Cover Art and Bonus Content. While Supplies Last.

Includes Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Code of the movie.

Temporary price reduction. Save over $4! Counts as 1 regular priced title & 1 unit toward minimum purchase commitment. Not eligible for additional discounts.

Reserve online and get a free collectible lithograph. Add title to cart and look for your lithograph at checkout. Limit of 3 per order. Size 6.75" x 5". Design may vary. Not available for individual sale. While supplies last. Offer subject to expiration.

Plot Summary
No film in history has captured the world's imagination like Walt Disney's first full-length animated masterpiece. To celebrate its 85th Anniversary, this Club Exclusive release includes the Original 1937 Theatrical Movie Poster Art plus a Blu-ray Disc with New Bonus Content "How Snow White Changed Animation Forever". Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was not only a groundbreaking movie for The Walt Disney Company, but a watershed movie for Animation. Many techniques that were established and even invented for Snow White are still being used today!

Join the beautiful princess Snow White as she escapes her jealous stepmother, the queen, and befriends a lovable group of dwarfs. But when she falls under the queen's wicked spell, only true love's kiss can save her.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 18th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Well, the cover is certainly nice (except for the image getting crowded by other elements), though I'd assume the disc to be a simple repackage.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2021, 6:48 pm

It’s really just the DMC badge that "ruins" it, but this is gorgeous, finally using the original Tenggren poster art combined with the 1987 50th anniversary logo.

Probably don’t need it again just for that, but intrigues me, though: "Disney Movie Club Exclusive Cover Art and Bonus Content"… so, does that mean exclusive bonus content to this edition? And what could that be? I'd kill for the 50th anniversary special with Dick Van Dyke, though it would be simply astonishing if they suddenly remembered that and I could retire my 35 year old off-air VHS recording!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 19th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Lovely cover. I was just thinking of that Golden special the other day on Dick Van Dyke's birthday! That would be such a treat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 25th, 2022, 4:05 pm

Bonus content revealed: a new featurette - 10 Ways Snow White Changed Animation Forever.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2022, 4:22 pm

Still that huge DMC badge is off-putting. Apparently the new featurette is only around ten minutes and rehashes a bunch of previously seen archive. And it would have been nice if they’d also used the 1937 title treatment, though I have always liked the "Walt Disney's Masterpiece" swirly logo they came up with for the 50th anniversary in 1987 that they’ve used here. All reasons to try and put me off getting this when I don’t need it (though a 4K would be harder to resist)!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 25th, 2022, 9:13 pm

My 4 copies of Snow White are enough (deluxe LaserDisc box, DVD, initial Blu-ray, and a raw scan of a print from Thunderbean). I'm guessing Ben has about 8 - at least.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 26th, 2022, 1:48 am

I'll go with 12. Gotta factor in screeners and UK book edition. ;)