DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DMC Exclusive Disney Blus

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2022, 4:15 am

A bootleg VHS from the first days of the format (still plays!)
The official VHS release
LaserDisc box set
Platinum DVD
UK "book" DVD
Diamond BD in DVD size case
Diamond BD in BD size case
The massive Diamond BD box (with book and pin set)
Thunderbean scan (if and when it ever gets here)
Signature BD

…plus multiple books and at least three soundtracks! :)

The Diamond BD I have twice since the first was a screener (the DVD size one) and I wanted the BD size, so later got that. I probably wouldn’t have if I knew we would then get offered the lovely (but big!) BD box, since it’s the same disc set again — I don’t actively go out to get as many copies of a movie as I can, it’s just that sometimes you end up with more than you need!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 26th, 2022, 8:47 am

I’ve got 8 copies, so I’ll bet Ben surely must have more!

(Masterpiece Collection VHS and LD, UK Classics VHS, Platinum VHS and DVD, Diamond Edition BD, Signature Collection BD, and a second Masterpiece Collection VHS that’s unopened)

EDIT: oops! I was replying to Randall and Daniel but didn’t “turn the page” to see Ben had already answered! Not surprised I was right though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 26th, 2022, 12:08 pm

I only own the Diamond DVD and the Signature Blu-ray, I'll get the film again if it's ever released on 4K, but this edition is not enough for me to buy again. Being an exclusive means it'll cost me more than it should.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 27th, 2022, 7:33 am

Many disney films, classic shorts and disneyland episodes not on dvd or blu-ray. And they are just releasing stuff i can buy off amazon or get at wal-mart with a shiny new cover.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Rand and I have this exact same conversation almost every month! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 27th, 2022, 5:55 pm

And nothing new again this month!!!

However, on the Blu-ray.com forum, Darby O'Gill has been hinted at by a supposed insider! That and the Shaggy Dog films are probably my most wanted Disney films on Blu right now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2022, 6:58 pm

CONDORMAN!!!

P-p-p-p-p-p-leeeeeaaaase! ;)

Although Darby would be neat for the upcoming St Paddy's. And basically everything else! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 27th, 2022, 7:59 pm

Condorman & Unidentified Flying Oddball would be instant 'buys' for me, if DMC put 'em on Blu-ray. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2022, 3:48 am

Second and thirded!

These are perhaps my most wanted, along with the "we're never going to get it now" One Of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing, hilarious and hilariously underrated. I have the UK DVD, but it’s a PAL speedup, though at least a 1.66 transfer. I’d also love UFO in its much better UK title The Spaceman And King Arthur, which suggests Disney had a rethink and finally worked out what to call it by the time it went international. This is how I watched it growing up (multiple times, I do love that film) and the UFO title just seems silly and uninspired, while at least TS&KA still has something of a tie back to Twain's original ("A Cape Canaveral Spaceman In King Arthur's Court" perhaps?)!

And now I’d like to go and show someone my…"L.P.s…?" :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 28th, 2022, 7:07 am

Child of glass and the forgotten 1978 disney animated movie mickey's birthday show please!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 28th, 2022, 4:59 pm

Child of Glass was one of Disney's three very short-lived attempts at rivaling Warner Archive with MOD DVD, so you'd think they at least have a disc master lying around DMC.
No Blu-ray, of course, since it was vintage "When Disney Channel was DISNEY Channel" cable.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 9th, 2022, 9:09 pm

Image Image

This was a quick turnaround from last month. And look! Two of my most desired titles! Oh, please let Shaggy Dog & D.A. (okay, and Condorman!) be next!

I can't believe that DMC is so poor at promoting these, though. Not only by having them be only Club Exclusives, but also by being tough to even find on their website. They don't have their own pane on the main page. Lucky that I caught the rotating image at the top - and it's not even the first or second image. That image links to the "Exclusives" page--- though, they're not anywhere on there, either!! No, I had to specifically do a Search for each title. Who runs that thing?

But I'm so pumped to have HD versions of Darby and Gnomemobile! Darby especially is a masterwork of special effects.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 10th, 2022, 1:18 am

Assuming it's March/St. Patrick's tie-in (even though gnomes aren't leprechauns, but eh, close enough).
Not sure what excuse would get Condorman going, but let's hope they think of something.

And given that Vudu VOD once had the largest collections of obscure 60's-70's live-action Disney titles on SD digital, you can at least still find One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing in some form,
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/det ... sing/90501
although, yes, abandon all hope of seeing it on Disney+.
(Where, ironically, they DO have the even more Asian-insulting "Love Bug" available.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2022, 5:33 am

60's-70's what? ;)

May as well just semi-quote the email I replied to Rand…
Hey Randy O'Gill!

The Gnome Mobile!! Man, my sister and I LOVED that movie growing up, and I hate only having a pan-and-scan DVD. So many times I’ve been tempted to get the 1.66 UK disc, but then it’s PAL speedup, so not ideal either and I can "tape" that off the telly (as I did end up doing, albeit on disc).

So to have this in widescreen HD will be a *real* treat! "In the Gnome-Mobile, the Gnome-Mobile, riding around in the Gnome-Mobile…"! There, that’s stuck in my head all day now!

I guess these have been announced for St Paddy's next week, although Gnome has nothing to do with that, natch, outside the Little People angle. We actually ran Darby for our last Paddy's — wow — three years ago! — since we had just stopped movie nights as we were about to do Finian's Rainbow before the knockdown.

We're actually toying with doing that this year, and ramping up screenings again. We’ve had a couple of things on lately, and been inviting two or three people around, for smaller audiences of four to six, and we may continue to do that for a while, but if we did Finian's then we'd probably aim to keep it around eight and space people around, for what that’s worth, asking for tests beforehand.

But, back to DMC…great! We always say it’s heartening to see *any* titles coming along, but these are two big ones, and indicates the line is still going strong enough for them to keep coming. Yes, I’d bet the Shaggies are not too far behind, and…then…maybe…Condorman and Spaceman…!! And hopefully no more lame 90s titles!

— The Gnome-Moben 🍀
Yes, Darby is still an excellent example of special effects work. When we ran it, I actually also showed the featurette that's on the DVD, as a couple of shots still defy explanation!

Also nice to know, Eric, that Dinosaurs hasn’t entirely been forgotten, even though a hope for it to come to D+ or DMC is an outside chance at best. Still hilarious though. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 10th, 2022, 2:26 pm

The Walt Disney Presents episode "I Captured the King of the Leprechauns" is confirmed to be included!