Popeye Movie First look at CG Popeye

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Popeye Movie First look at CG Popeye

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2015, 4:46 am

It's a shame he's left it (for now? Maybe HT2 success will mean he gets more of a say?), but I'm glad to hear he toned down the Sandler stuff in his new film. It worried me when I read he'd written the screenplay but, as so often is the case with Hollywood films, just because someone's name's on it doesn't mean they actually wrote it! Sounds like Sandler and his co-writer took a shot and then had the thing reworked by Genndy and the story artists...phew!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sid Philips » September 26th, 2015, 11:55 pm

No---sorry, but Sandler and Smigel were in complete control. Either way, the new film is dreadful---humorless and without good storytelling or strong character. A bunch of zippy, hard to read unfunny gags in search of structure. Of course, story has never been tartakovsky's strong point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2015, 6:10 am

:(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 27th, 2015, 10:21 am

Genndy did say he reworked the script a lot, but he certainly did come to the project late, so he likely could not change as much as he would have liked. Having said that...

The current film gets 48 at RT, though the first film only has 46, with RT's reported concensus being that the sequel may be marginally beter than the first one. It's not really as if the first HT was a critical darling, either.

I did have high hopes for Genndy's Popeye, though.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2015, 10:38 am

I loved the first Hotel T, and the sequel looks to be just as charming and funny. And the A- CinemaScore would indicate that fans of the original are enjoying what they're seeing.

I'm still of the opinion that there's not an "audience" for a new Popeye beyond old school animation buffs, but I could be proven wrong about that someday.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 12th, 2020, 9:28 am

And it's back on again. Tartakovsky is back as well but they kicked sony and their emoji movie out. Another studio doing it.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/animated ... ny-a175256

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 12th, 2020, 9:53 am

Except that King Features isn't a studio. They are the rights holder, and would need a studio partner. It is nice if they are trying to revive the project, but I await more details.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2020, 11:10 am

So Sony's option lapsed and now King Features are developing it in-house to no doubt get this to a stage where they can sell to a distributing studio. I’ll bet on Paramount to bite, which would have some history to it. Other than that, it’ll be another pickup for Netflix.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 27th, 2022, 8:48 am

The full unreleased sony movie in early animation and storyboards with full voices has leaked online! Many who saw it are asking why was it not released?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Well, it would need to be fully animated first… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 27th, 2022, 2:32 pm

I found three links, but all have been blocked or removed. I'm sure it will pop-up again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 3rd, 2022, 3:39 pm

Finally found it again and watched the whole film. It's quite good. Probably could've been a little more Popeye-y, (that doubles as a reference!) like sound effects and music. It needed some retooling, but I don't think it should've been canceled. What's interesting is the scene that was released as an animation test is played here but without the modern music. Definitely worked better without "Kids in America"! Although a few minutes later "Beautiful (Drop Dead)" from Britney Spears played. That was kind of jarring. Could've also axed a few of the callbacks. Still, it had some heart and it's delightfully goofy. I feel it had potential.