Popeye Movie First look at CG Popeye

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Re: Popeye Movie First look at CG Popeye

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2015, 4:46 am

It's a shame he's left it (for now? Maybe HT2 success will mean he gets more of a say?), but I'm glad to hear he toned down the Sandler stuff in his new film. It worried me when I read he'd written the screenplay but, as so often is the case with Hollywood films, just because someone's name's on it doesn't mean they actually wrote it! Sounds like Sandler and his co-writer took a shot and then had the thing reworked by Genndy and the story artists...phew!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sid Philips » September 26th, 2015, 11:55 pm

No---sorry, but Sandler and Smigel were in complete control. Either way, the new film is dreadful---humorless and without good storytelling or strong character. A bunch of zippy, hard to read unfunny gags in search of structure. Of course, story has never been tartakovsky's strong point.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2015, 6:10 am

:(

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin

Post by Randall » September 27th, 2015, 10:21 am

Genndy did say he reworked the script a lot, but he certainly did come to the project late, so he likely could not change as much as he would have liked. Having said that...

The current film gets 48 at RT, though the first film only has 46, with RT's reported concensus being that the sequel may be marginally beter than the first one. It's not really as if the first HT was a critical darling, either.

I did have high hopes for Genndy's Popeye, though.

Animated Views Staff
Animated Views Staff

Post by Dacey » September 27th, 2015, 10:38 am

I loved the first Hotel T, and the sequel looks to be just as charming and funny. And the A- CinemaScore would indicate that fans of the original are enjoying what they're seeing.

I'm still of the opinion that there's not an "audience" for a new Popeye beyond old school animation buffs, but I could be proven wrong about that someday.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."