Chicken Little

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 11th, 2005, 2:18 am

Yeah, The Rocketeer's a good flick.

Too bad that the film didn't do as well as it could have and that it basically killed the character.

There hasn't been anything new to do with the Rocketeer for the better part of 10 years at least, and Dave Stevens doesn't seem to be interested in doing new comics with the character, either.

Here's hoping The Spirit doesn't get snuffed out when they eventually come out with a decent big-screen adaptation of that character. I just hope the character's current caretakers can do half the job Will Eisner might have if he'd lived to see his character made into a decent picture.

That's always a big concern with these characters. Most of the time they don't turn out well on screens because the people writing and directing the films haven't read a book in their entire lives! Seriously, most of the guys doing the comic film adaptations don't know a thing about the characters they're adapting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2005, 9:12 am

Rocketeer was intended to be a trilogy. Joe Johnston was on record as saying that, as well as Dave Stevens.

But then Joe had a falling out with Katzenberg over the film (even though he was granted "final cut" after the success of Honey, I Shrunk The Kids) and the studio seemed to do a lack-lustre job of promoting it.

It actually did very well, but not well enough to warrant a sequel (it was a bigger hit than Dick Tracy) and more than earned its promotional costs back on home video.

Shame that Stevens doesn't keep it going in comics - his style was great. Rocketeer and Dick Tracy are both films that have been rumored for - and I hope will someday find themselves part of - the Vista Series, but no news recently on any new Vistas.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 11th, 2005, 9:47 am

I'd love to see Vistas of both those films. I can't bring myself to buy the current DVD versions.

I'm very leery of a Spirit film. If you don't care for Smallville, George, then you may not care for The Spirit's script, which is being handled by Jeph Loeb (writer and editor/consultant on Smallville). The problem with adapting The Spirit is that the best Spirit stories weren't about the Spirit at all. It was an anthology series in many ways, with the focus often on one-off characters. I love the series (been collecting all the Archive editions, have all the color Treasuries, etc.), but I think it would work better as a TV series than a film.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 11th, 2005, 10:12 am

Jeph Loeb is doing The Spirit script?

God help us! His monthly comics are god-awful and like I said before, I don't think much of Smallville at all.

(To be fair, his Batman collaborations with Tim Sale are excellent as well the one Superman mini-series they did. On a regular monthly basis, Loeb is just mediocre.)

Thank goodness for the Spirit Archives, though! It's definitely one of the smartest comic book series of all time, period!

Wish I could afford to buy them from the comic shop, though. The only way I could get them is A) if I could trade my most valuable monthlies for the HC's; B) if I came into a huge inheritance; or C) if I buy them at discount online which is the most sensible way to get them.

Yeah, my only beef with the DC Archives is the price, but they're 20 times better than any of the hardcover reprints Marvel does. The Marvel Masterworks are a colossal joke and just not handled with the care of any of the DC Archives. Just goes to show that Marvel's priorities are NOT in preserving and presenting its past with care but making a quick buck in the present!

Getting back to The Spirit film, I don't have high hopes if they're relying too much on Loeb's judgment. Better for Spirit fans if this film gets KILLED QUICK.

We all just dodged a bullet on The Watchmen movie!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 11th, 2005, 10:14 am

Er...

Back to Chicken Little (mea culpa for getting things further off track!), do you suppose the light advertising of the film lately is due to the fact that Disney wants to promote the last film it's doing with its resident redhead?

Like we need another Herbie movie?!? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2005, 10:26 am

RandCanuck wrote:I'd love to see Vistas of both those films. I can't bring myself to buy the current DVD versions.
I've stuck with my LaserDiscs for the same reason!

I've said a bit about Smallville in the other thread, where it seems to belong more ;)

Anyway, as George says, back on topic...

With Howl, Herbie, Sky High and Valiant all to come before ChickLit hits in the fall, I don't see its advertising as light. It will kick into high gear with the bigger of those releases (namely Herbie and Sky High), probably with new trails attached.

And, to be really honest, I'm looking forward to the Herbie movie, which I think just looks like good, old-fashioned, simply good Disney family fare, whoever is in it (and Lohan is not bigger than the Herbie franchise by any means)!

BTW, Mr And Mrs Smith is a LOT of fun! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 11th, 2005, 11:26 am

offtopic: oh god I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith last night.

KICK. ASS.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2005, 2:03 pm

And, may I say, what an ass! :)

Ahem...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

That's a big 10-4 on that one Ben!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2005, 2:48 pm

Wow, you like Brad too, huh? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 11th, 2005, 4:07 pm

Ben wrote:Wow, you like Brad too, huh? ;)
Ha, you got owned, Mac!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 11th, 2005, 8:57 pm

pfft. Johnny Depp is sexier, girlfriend.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 12th, 2005, 12:53 am

[quote="Ben"]
And, to be really honest, I'm looking forward to the Herbie movie, which I think just looks like good, old-fashioned, simply good Disney family fare, whoever is in it (and Lohan is not bigger than the Herbie franchise by any means)![/quote]

Um, yeah, Ben -- people are REALLY going to see Herbie Reloaded for the car!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There have been stories circulating throughout the press that Herbie's "headlights" were reduced in the film because Disney officials thought that "size of headlights" would offend family audiences.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 12th, 2005, 1:55 am

Wait, there's a car in that movie?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2005, 12:56 pm

GeorgeC wrote:Um, yeah, Ben -- people are REALLY going to see Herbie Reloaded for the car!
Well, actually George... yeah, I am!

Of course eye-candy Lohan will make the ride that much more enjoyable, but really, I don't care who's behind the wheel of Herbie. The car is the star, and I am most jazzed about this one because of the effects they can do with a CG Herbie now. Those trick shots while he's in the race are the coolest thing I've seen since Helen Hayes went flying through San Fran!

If it's a hit, they can easily make more without Lohan.

And, George, as I mentioned before, it's Herbie: FULLY LOADED. :)