Chicken Little

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » April 8th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Where's the response: "I liked it at first, but now I hate it!"?

Just kidding!

Everyone loves this movie.... well almost!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 9th, 2006, 5:44 pm

I haven't seen it on dvd yet as it's not released here til' the end of May, but I did see it a second time at the cinema a week after my first viewing and I enjoyed it more. Not a great film but still good. However, I'm glad that Lasetter has closed down production on the sequel because none of the Disney DTV sequels have compared to the originals and Chicken Little simply wasn't strong enough to spawn any more stories or spin offs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 13th, 2006, 10:59 pm

I liked it then and I liked it now. And I think a DTV would have been cute if done well.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Sullivan wrote:Where's the response: "I liked it at first, but now I hate it!"?
Funny, I thought it was okay at the theater, though the 3D did nothing for me.

Then, for my DVD Toons review, I found myself chuckling along at certain bits (I jumped through it as I had seen it recently), but ending up LOVING all the deleted material!

Watched it again fully through last night with some friends...and a big fat zero. For some reason it felt very fake, flat, loud and no fun at all. There seemed to be more pop culture things than I remembered, I REALLY hated the pig Runt character (the guys I was with didn't like him either), and I ended up getting bored with the amount of pop songs in it.

I'll watch it again in a couple of months, but ChickLit failed to register with me a second time, I'm afraid, especially coming a couple of days after sitting through the slower, simpler, much more enjoyable Ice Age 2... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Chicken Little

Post by Farerb » November 10th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Disney’s ‘Chicken Little’: Inside the Troubled History of the Studio’s First CGI Feature
https://collider.com/disney-chicken-lit ... explained/

Interesting article.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2020, 2:51 pm

The studio's first CGI feature...after their first CGI feature...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm

I think Chicken Little's fascinating as a "stepping stone" in Disney's history. There's a ton of studio interference at play given the desperation to deliver a hit, but at the same time there is still a decent film in there, and the attempt at "2D 3D" animation was something the studio would gradually evolve until it was perfected with Tangled.

It's also become fashionable to claim it was a bomb, when it actually had Disney's best opening for a feature film since The Lion King, and it was showing steady legs until Harry Potter ultimately stole its thunder. Equally fashionable has become the argument that Buck Cluck is "the worst movie father ever", while omitting that Gary Marshall is playing him as someone who's struggling to do the right thing, rather than being outright neglectful.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2020, 7:56 pm

I remember it being somewhat noisy, but that my sister and I had a blast when we went to see it in 3D back in the day. I still have several pairs of CL 3D specs!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 10th, 2020, 8:27 pm

I recall hating it, but maybe it just didn't meet expectations. I should try watching it again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm

I remember seeing it in a theater and that I enjoyed it, but don’t remember a whole lot else about it. Oh yeah, that cell phone joke. And Patrick Stewart was pretty funny. :)

It definitely had that “everything but the kitchen sink” feel to it. Which makes sense since the studio/company was in kind of a tough spot when it was being made (to put it mildly).

Not to repeat myself again about Eisner being judged harshly, but I always felt that his idea of making CL a girl character wasn’t as bad as so many felt and still feel. CL was definitely an awkward, overly-imaginative nerd and I don’t think there had been too many female characters like that up until then (well, in movies: I’m not counting TV shows like Recess, Kim Possible and many others). I don’t know, I think it could have been cute if done well. :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2020, 5:14 pm

From the article: “Michael Eisner just said, ‘I don’t want it to be a girl, I want it to be a boy,’. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Ohhhhhhhhh my God, I can’t believe my memory played tricks on me like that. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

(Read that part of the article but for some reason remembered it backwards!)

Ok, let’s just forget this ever happened. Lol.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Never! Muhahaha!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 11th, 2020, 8:38 pm

"Okay, in about three seconds, I'm going to start screaming like a little girl..."
Ironic that the one line that most drove away audiences in the trailers ended up being cut from the final movie.

(Guess they needed more time for more 70's faux-DreamWorks karaoke.)
Dacey wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm
I think Chicken Little's fascinating as a "stepping stone" in Disney's history. There's a ton of studio interference at play given the desperation to deliver a hit, but at the same time there is still a decent film in there, and the attempt at "2D 3D" animation was something the studio would gradually evolve until it was perfected with Tangled.
While others saw it as the final humiliation of Michael Eisner's belief that People Hated Disney, and that CGI Shrek Humor Was Here to Stay, and, in terms of creating WDFA as a rival brand to Pixar, lost the "Pixar Wars" singlehandedly overnight.
(Of course, it ended up taking Mark Dindal's career down with it, but let's be honest, you can go back and watch the "holy" Cats Don't Dance, and see about half of Chicken's snarky/dopey animal gags that you never saw before...)

Maybe I'm still celebrating too much over recent elections, but the karma delivered onto Eisner's neurotic tyranny was so richly deserved, ended our long national nightmare, and cleared the way for cooler and more caring heads to Build Disney/Pixar Back Better.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 11th, 2020, 8:55 pm

Daniel wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 7:01 pm
Never! Muhahaha!
:) :wink: