Tim Burton's live-action Dumbo

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Tim Burton's Dumbo

Post by Dacey » April 24th, 2019, 5:53 pm

In my defense, that thread is like five years old. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Tim Burton's Dumbo

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2019, 4:00 am

But...you...you started it! ;)

I have merged.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tim Burton's live-action Dumbo

Post by Daniel » October 3rd, 2019, 3:39 pm

Ben from another thread wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 5:37 am
Remakes: you need to see Dumbo, Vi. An awesome surprise.
Well... it was one of the better ones that's for sure, yet there was still something holding it back for me. I don't know honestly.

It was nice. Dumbo was cute. (how he got his name was kind of silly..) When it was copying, it was alright. It was creative how they went about plugging "Baby Mine", however it happened way too early to have an emotional impact. When it finally went and be its own, that's where the film shines. Still though, those kids were lousy! The girl was incredibly monotone. She got on my nerves with all that science mumbo jumbo. Felt so forced. And the boy was just there. Useless. I really thought from previews they might have been in vain to the Banks children (Mary Poppins) boy I was mistaken! I would have much preferred Timothy. Yep, he was there and would've been non speaking too, but it couldn't have be any worse. Adding a dozen or so new characters yet reducing one of the originals to a quick cameo? Not cool.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 3rd, 2019, 4:14 pm

That’s what we loved, though, that the first 40 minutes or so were a potted remake...and then the film flew off in its own, actually quite inspired, direction!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 3rd, 2019, 5:34 pm

Sounds quite intriguing! I’ll definitely have to check that out, thanks Ben. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 4th, 2019, 12:30 am

Anther vote for the new Dumbo. I actually watched this at Ben's place this past summer, and we had similar reactions to it. It's really quite a nice film, once you let go of preconceived notions of what it "should" be. And I was personally so glad that the movie became its own thing, and flew on its own with a brand new story.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 4th, 2019, 5:01 am

I maybe should have clarified the "we" in my post but, yeah, I was including Rand in that. Not only was it great to have him over, but it was cool to run a big new film like this for him in full-on Dolby Cinema mode in our screening room! Good times! :D