Marvel Cinematic Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Avengers and the MCU

Post by EricJ » March 5th, 2022, 6:28 pm

Randall wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 9:32 am
given that it did introduce a number of things to the MCU, like kung fu and dragons.
The only lively pumped-for-next-movie moment was near the beginning, when we get the Obligatory Previous-MCU-Movie Callback during the cage fight, and see Dr. Strange's Wong fighting with...hey, howabout that, they actually DID manage to get Fin Fang Foom into the MCU! Well, they coulda told us ahead of time!
At its core, however, it was the same old father-son angle, the misguided villain, the wacky sidekick, etc.
Again, I'm sure I'll get the usual "No, no, Asia loves superheroes, look how much money Spider-man made, and they all cosplay as Spider-Gwen at the Beijing Comic-con!" defenses of box-office, but the problem is that while the Chinese love Big CGI Monster and Swirling Flying CGI fights, they don't understand Batman or Superman (unlike Japan, which doesn't quite understand them either, they don't play well in a country where most grew up believing Social Authority is Good, or Else), and they're more interested in how much it resembles one of their own movies they can understand.
Which is why we get big historical-epic armies in the prologue, the East-meets-West rom-com for the funny subplot, a knockoff of that Hollywood speeding-bus movie they liked, the family drama for the main story, traditional-looking faux-Wuxia for the middle third, and back to the CGI-enhanced monsters and kung-fu for the climax. Oo, quick, send them the Loki series! :roll:

(When Auntie Nan does her big CGI enhanced swirling-leaf trick, all I could picture was the big climactic game from the end of Stephen Chow's "Shaolin Soccer", and how that movie did a better kung-fu parody of somebody else's genre, without overtly trying to BE that other genre.)
The Darciest character since Darcy.
:lol: - Although, the fact that this is the second Disney movie I've seen in as many weeks with Awkwafina as the wacky "hip" babbling comedy-relief girl does not make me feel better about it.
It's sort of the reverse of Raya, where the dragon was the only character we could like.

And if anyone tried to confuse me in a fight by singing Hotel California, they'd probably be punched in the face long before the dark, desert highway, like our character did when trying it against actual comic-book foes. Granted, it would be more about the song than the strategy, but still.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2022, 8:02 pm

EricJ wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 6:28 pm
…all I could picture was the big climactic game from the end of Stephen Chow's "Shaolin Soccer"
Now that is an excellently bonkers movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 6th, 2022, 2:33 pm

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness Imax trailer:

Same trailer as last month but BIGGER! ;)

Love that zoom into Wanda's eye - classic Raimi. Reminds me of that shot in Spider-Man 2 where the camera goes from Spidey swinging right in Doc Ock's face. And seeing Wanda's TV home again. If only it was the 1950s version!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Post by gaastra » March 8th, 2022, 8:53 am

Marvel released art from some deleted scenes that didn't make the cut from shang chi and looks like wong was not going to be the only hero fighting in the club tournaments! Art shows deadpool had a match against thanos baddie Proxima Midnight! With rumors he is in dr strange 2 and now showing he was almost in shang chi! Looks like marvel is trying to figure out where to put deadpool.

https://comicbookmovie.com/shang-chi/sh ... #gs.ssldp6

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 8th, 2022, 11:18 am

Those aren't deleted scenes, just concept art. The artist was just having fun. I wouldn't read too much into it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 8th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Oh, Abomination! That's who Wong was fighting! (Even though it didn't resemble the '08 Incredible Hulk canon).

Darn, got a little overexcited that MCU was finally cleaning up all those "Chinese" characters they'd been avoiding in the Iron Man movies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 9th, 2022, 3:24 pm

That whole Deadpool/Shang-Chi thing is now thoroughly debunked. Whoever first reported it obviously has no understanding of how and why concept art is done.
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-artist-debun ... shang-chi/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 10th, 2022, 2:47 pm

First promotional arts of Tatiana Maslany as She-Hulk:
The design, like the character, is sensational!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 10th, 2022, 2:53 pm

And the bad news?: It's reportedly going to be a "Legal comedy", aka the Marvel version of Harvey Birdman.
(Which is one step away from being a dopey disinherited Hulu comedy like "Modok" or "Hit Monkey".)

Granted, there's nothing wrong with a funny Shulkie, for those who (obviously) remembered her Deadpool-esque fourth-wall John Byrne comic.
But after seeing what happened to The Tick on Amazon, I don't credit grownup made-for-streaming TV with being quite in on that level of self-joking comic-fan geekery.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2022, 5:11 pm

Why, it’s just like she stepped outta the comics! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 10th, 2022, 9:46 pm

I like the look! And I look forward to seeing what they do with the series. These D+ shows haven't been all that predictable so far.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2022, 4:07 am

(Unlike the Star Wars ones…grumble, grumble…) ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 12th, 2022, 9:09 am

And the bad news?: It's reportedly going to be a "Legal comedy", aka the Marvel version of Harvey Birdman.
That she-hulk started in the 80s. Birdman ripped she-hulk off. Also it's not all laughs. Some dark and dramatic stuff in the cases along with the comedy. Deadpool also ripped off she-hulk and even tells her this in the comics "why did you stop being funny? You were me before me." The she-hulk comics could go from silly to sad in seconds however. Plus she does not win every case.

Also it's not so much silly cases but aliens, ghosts, heroes, bad guys, multiverse, cosmic, zombies, robots, etc cases.

A multiverse beast had a fight with the real beast over invention patents. A ghost hires she-hulk to sue the factory that he worked for and was killed at for unsafe working conditions! And the court parts played it like a real court but went into things like the ghost case they got into afterlife and religion in the courtroom!

Yeah she is funny but don't think that's all these stories are. This could be a good series if done right.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2022, 2:37 pm

Are you talking about the comic, or the series?
The first 50-ep. John Byrne run on the comic (before Byrne quit over "the leg-shaving gag") was standard comic-book adventures, the gimmick being She-Hulk ran into OTHER forgotten characters who hadn't gotten a chance in Marvel comics since the 70's...Including a long story arc with Howard the Duck.
And, of course, the specifically Tick-esque comic-poking fourth-wall humor. ("Oh, great, a cutaway subplot tease--Now it'll be another three issues before I find out who this guy is!")

Stopped reading it after Byrne left, so I don't know if the comic continued the new Jennifer Birdman motif--
Every time it seems like Disney+ comes up with a rotten idea for a Marvel series, darnit, there's always some obscure real comic they're homaging!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 12th, 2022, 3:29 pm

This was more the don scott version that was more or less a follow up to the 80s run in tone. But don't worry they still had the oddball heroes like awesome andy and yes howard the duck shows up also!

Still 80s she-hulk did give us a death's head from transformers crossover!